login

Author Topic: The Three Stooges (2012)  (Read 15395 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: The Three Stooges (2012)
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
That looks like shit.   I cannot imagine a Three fan seeing this....I have no desire to at all.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2012, 09:17:56 PM »
Catholic League Slams 'Three Stooges' for Kate Upton's Nun Bikini

The organization also criticizes the name of Larry David's character -- Sister Mary-Mengele, a riff on the infamous Nazi; Fox responds it's a broad comedy.

The Catholic League is in an uproar over the way nuns are depicted in Peter and Bobby Farrelly's redo of The Three Stooges, which 20th Century Fox opens Friday domestically.

In a terse statement issued Thursday, Catholic League president Bill Donohue takes issue with a "nun bikini" and large rosary worn by swimsuit model Kate Upton in the slapstick comedy as well as with Larry David's character.

David, like Upton, plays a nun in Three Stooges, and his character's name is Sister Mary-Mengele -- named after infamous Nazi Josef Mengele.

"In the 1950s, Hollywood generally avoided crude fare and was respectful of religion. Today it specializes in crudity and trashes Christianity, especially Catholicism," Donohue said. "Enter The Three Stooges. The movie is not just another remake: It is a cultural marker of sociological significance, and what it says about the way we've changed is not encouraging."

Fox disagreed that Three Stooges diverges from the original series. "The movie, in keeping with the spirit of the original TV show and its stars, is a broad, slapstick comedy," a Fox spokesperson said.

"As the Stooges have proved over time, laughter is a universal medicine. The nuns that Mr. Donohue alludes to, are in fact, caring, heroic characters in the movie, albeit within the framework of a very broad comedy," the spokesperson continued. "And as far as the nun attire, I think we did the audinece a favor by letting Kate Upton wear the nun-kini rather than Larry David -- it could have gone either way. We invite you to see the movie and decide for yourselves."

The Catholic League is the largest Catholic civil rights organization in the U.S.

Donohue also criticized comments made Wednesday night by David on TBS' Conan.

"He said to Conan O'Brien that dressing as a nun in the film makes it easy to understand why nuns are 'so mean,' " Donohue said. "He explains: 'You know, the outfits might have something to do with that. Forget about the fact that they never have sex. If you give me a chance of no sex or having to wear that outfit the rest of my life, I would definitely take the no sex.' "

Donohue's statement included the e-mail address of a top Fox executive.

NO HOT NUNS!!!

I didn't know Larry David was involved with this movie. That's a shame.

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
I found that funnier than the trailer, you'd think they'd have mellowed a little or at least worked out nobody cares if they're offended
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
I found that funnier than the trailer, you'd think they'd have mellowed a little or at least worked out nobody cares if they're offended

I've taken dumps that were funnier than those trailers. I remember this one time when I was coming down off of mescaline and took a dump that looked exactly like Bob Hope. I turned around and saw that and I just laughed and laughed. I still have it, actually. Every once in a while, I'll take it out and look at it and just laugh.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »
i have a feeling its gonna suck royally.  snookie in the trailer killed it for me.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6645
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 05:10:49 AM »
i have a feeling its gonna suck royally.  snookie in the trailer killed it for me.
While the very presence of Snookie is irritating, I found his laugh after poking her in the eyes FAR more irritating. He just surprised her a little, and he laughs like it's the funniest goddamn thing in the history of man!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2012, 05:25:04 AM »
I don't find the 3 Stooges funny at all but I find this unfunny in a different way, weird
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 06:40:32 AM »

Did they protest the nun in The Blues Brothers too, I wonder?

Anyway, she has her head covered, so she's still being humble before god. I don't see the problem.

The fact that anyone representing the Catholic church thinks they have a leg to stand on regarding morality is baffling to me, besides the fact that comedy is always offensive to someone because that's what comedy is.
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:41 AM »

Did they protest the nun in The Blues Brothers too, I wonder?

Anyway, she has her head covered, so she's still being humble before god. I don't see the problem.

The fact that anyone representing the Catholic church thinks they have a leg to stand on regarding morality is baffling to me, besides the fact that comedy is always offensive to someone because that's what comedy is.

I was going to ask you to explain that statement, but rather than derail this thread, I decided to start another religion thread:  http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=24550.0
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

feinting goats

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I saw it last night.  It was much better than I thought it would be.  first 15 minute sucked but after that it really took off.  Lots of laugh out loud stuff.  Go see it dudes.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
I don't care one way or the other about the Three Stooges I just have a fear that if this movie is a hit it will start a trend of movies studios remaking classic comedy teams and next we will see new Marx Brothers or Jack Benny movies.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline therul

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 43
  • just another day in paradise
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Laural and Hardy, Martin and Lewis, Abbot and Costello! >:D
We are the only intelligent beings- Arrogance 3:15

feinting goats

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »
I don't care one way or the other about the Three Stooges I just have a fear that if this movie is a hit it will start a trend of movies studios remaking classic comedy teams and next we will see new Marx Brothers or Jack Benny movies.

The Farrelly brothers already did a Marx Brothers movie.  It is hi-larious.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103872/

Wont you please reconsider seeing the three stooges?  its funny I promise.

MontyServo

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »
I didn't know they did Brain Donors.  It wasn't funny, but it was very Marx Brothers.  Probably why it wasn't very funny.

Is there a way to unlike a post?

The part about the Marx Brothers not being funny that is, I agree about Brain Donors.  That movie was a stinker.  Except that the Farrelly Brothers had nothing to do with Brain Donors.  It was the Zuckers and Pat Proft that were responsible for that train wreck.

As far as the Marx Brothers go, I would put Duck Soup up there with any other comedy you can name as far as being one of the most funniest movies ever.  Their other output is very hit and miss.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:16:14 PM by Monty »

MontyServo

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »

Ah yes, the classic comedy team of Jack Benny.  I loved them.