login

Author Topic: The Three Stooges (2012)  (Read 14651 times)

shodan

Re: The Three Stooges (2012)
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
Eh, I was still dissapointed she was in it at all to really enjoy that. Plus, the laugh Moe did right after that was extreemely obnoxious.
I was hoping the movie would be set in the 30's or 40's. The era is just so much more charming and less vulgar if you get my meaning.
I don't know about "more charming". But setting it back then would put a distance between modern day and the movie that would have helped it, I think.
but then snooki wouldnt have her eyes poked out.....

Russell

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
The thing is this movie is most likely going to be rife with obnoxiousness because it has a contemporary setting. I mean I don't mind seeing tits or anything(Yes, in the trailer for this movie there is a Nun dressed in a skimpy swimsuit that shows off her knockers), but as I recall, the draw of the original Three Stooges had nothing to do with sex appeal, but just three guys pushing each others faces into table saws and come out without a scratch.

Physical comedy isn't as effective as it used to be anyway. Everybody and their mother has done the falling down/kicked in the crotch/nose/face gag millions of times, so many times in fact that when I see it part of me wants to fly into a homicidal rage.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »
Physical comedy isn't as effective as it used to be anyway. Everybody and their mother has done the falling down/kicked in the crotch/nose/face gag millions of times, so many times in fact that when I see it part of me wants to fly into a homicidal rage.

I think there's only one type of person that still enjoys that type of humor...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mV1LWhNpTJU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mV1LWhNpTJU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

shodan

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
the simpsons still has a lot of great physical humor. so does futurama.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
Just thought of Tobias (aka Mrs. Featherbottom) and the umbrella/fall-into-the-table bit. There is great physical humor out there. It's just been hijacked by those crappy post-Home Alone kids' movies.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 04:08:39 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm referring to the real cheap, lazy, injury-for-the-sake-of-injury attempts at humor. Of course there's plenty of great contemporary physical comedy. The greatest modern example I can think of is Chris Farley, who was an absolute genius at physical comedy.

Russell

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
It has to be done very carefully though otherwise it is really stupid though. For example, George C. Scott getting hit in the groin with a football while he doubles over and shouts "OW! MY GROIN!" in that raspy throaty voice is funny. If it were anyone else saying that line, it would not be.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Moe is their leader.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 06:05:26 PM »
It has to be done very carefully though otherwise it is really stupid though. For example, George C. Scott getting hit in the groin with a football while he doubles over and shouts "OW! MY GROIN!" in that raspy throaty voice is funny. If it were anyone else saying that line, it would not be.
But... the ball!  His groin!  It works on SO many levels!

Russell

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
But... the ball!  His groin!  It works on SO many levels!
Nobody nose for sure ;D

Offline Manderie

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »
I'm not sure who this second-hand embarrassment belongs to, but I'm feeling it for ALL responsible for this movie.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 07:22:46 PM »
Why can't we get a biopic of these guys? Their actual story is so much more interesting.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »
I'm not sure who this second-hand embarrassment belongs to, but I'm feeling it for ALL responsible for this movie.

I refuse to believe that Adam Sandler isn't in someway somehow involved in this. I'm gonna find the connection...if it's the last thing I do.

*DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNNN*

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
Why can't we get a biopic of these guys? Their actual story is so much more interesting.

They did. Back in 2000. As an ABC Made For TV. As bad as that may sound (and not wholly accurate), it's definitely worth watching. A pre-"The Shield" Michael Chiklis played Curly (and quite well, I'd say). It chronicles their early days in vaudeville up until their fading obscurity. It's actually quite touching.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »

They did. Back in 2000. As an ABC Made For TV. As bad as that may sound (and not wholly accurate), it's definitely worth watching. A pre-"The Shield" Michael Chiklis played Curly (and quite well, I'd say). It chronicles their early days in vaudeville up until their fading obscurity. It's actually quite touching.

Oh, cool. I'll go find that, I guess.