Author Topic: The adorable pictures thread.  (Read 426172 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5068
Re: The adorable pictures thread.
« Reply #4290 on: April 24, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
This is one intense kitten (having fun)!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1798
« Reply #4291 on: April 24, 2017, 08:28:34 PM »

I find it interesting how their pupils dilate right before they are about to pounce.  I'm just guessing, but perhaps they want as much light as possible to see movement of critters while sacrificing detail due to things being overexposed.  Let's see if google has an answer for me...

EDIT:  I was close.  I couldn't directly find an answer to my specific question in my short search, but I pieced together one that makes sense, borrowing some of my knowledge of film cameras.  When about to pounce, a cat needs to judge distance.  There are three ways to do that: 1) moving your head and comparing two images in your recent memory; 2) stereopsis, which uses the difference between our two eyes (and what 3D glasses use to trick our brains); and 3) blur, or depth-of-field as it's known in the camera world.

Depth-of-field relates to how much is in focus in front of and behind the focal point of a camera lens.  If the aperture is really small then pretty much everything in front of and behind target is going to be in focus. If the aperture is wide open then only the target will be in focus.  So by opening their pupils as wide as they can it is much easier for the cat to tell how far away their eyes are focusing, because only the target will be sharp. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:50:29 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4292 on: May 07, 2017, 03:07:06 AM »
This became adorable enough to share because of the poems added by tumblr users:

afishhook-anopeneye wrote:

my name is cow
    and wen she sits
    benethe the stall
    withe tiny kit

I hav no hands
    withe which to pat
    I use mye tung
    I lik the cat

throes-of-redemption later added:

my name is cat
    and with tha kit
    In front of stall
    we lyk to sit

I feel her tongue
    I say meow
    I have a fren
    Her name is cow
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4293 on: May 09, 2017, 02:25:21 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4294 on: May 09, 2017, 02:28:02 AM »

I find it interesting how their pupils dilate right before they are about to pounce.  I'm just guessing, but perhaps they want as much light as possible to see movement of critters while sacrificing detail due to things being overexposed.  Let's see if google has an answer for me...

EDIT:  I was close.  I couldn't directly find an answer to my specific question in my short search, but I pieced together one that makes sense, borrowing some of my knowledge of film cameras.  When about to pounce, a cat needs to judge distance.  There are three ways to do that: 1) moving your head and comparing two images in your recent memory; 2) stereopsis, which uses the difference between our two eyes (and what 3D glasses use to trick our brains); and 3) blur, or depth-of-field as it's known in the camera world.

Depth-of-field relates to how much is in focus in front of and behind the focal point of a camera lens.  If the aperture is really small then pretty much everything in front of and behind target is going to be in focus. If the aperture is wide open then only the target will be in focus.  So by opening their pupils as wide as they can it is much easier for the cat to tell how far away their eyes are focusing, because only the target will be sharp.

Just realized that I didn't thank you for this, VoC.  What you found out and then extrapolated from makes perfect sense.  Thanks!

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1798
« Reply #4295 on: May 09, 2017, 06:09:08 AM »

Just realized that I didn't thank you for this, VoC.  What you found out and then extrapolated from makes perfect sense.  Thanks!

No problem!  Another interesting thing I found out: before jumping up on a ledge a cat will bob their head up and down. This is also to help judge distance using parallax. Basically doing this:

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4296 on: May 19, 2017, 01:06:17 AM »
Longer sequence of a pic I posted a week or more ago:

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5714
« Reply #4297 on: May 19, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4298 on: May 20, 2017, 02:50:56 AM »
Gecko very pleased with his new gecko toy.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #4299 on: May 28, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4300 on: June 08, 2017, 08:09:33 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4301 on: July 10, 2017, 12:54:01 AM »
Father and son.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4302 on: July 14, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »

Pangolin baby riding mama's tail.  Pangolins are one of the most endangered species on the planet, poached for their scales. :'(

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #4303 on: July 15, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #4304 on: August 01, 2017, 02:44:49 AM »