login

Author Topic: The adorable pictures thread.  (Read 433756 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The adorable pictures thread.
« Reply #2295 on: February 09, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »
I also thought it must be some more obscure reference I wasn't getting.  Didn't think of squirrels being twitchy, like someone on cocaine.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #2296 on: February 09, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
Apparently, everyone in this thread is a Mormon living in Utah.
Not knowing cocaine makes you jittery and paranoid. It's been a movie staple for decades. Give me a break.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6691
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2297 on: February 09, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »
You're not gonna leave, are you Lemback?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #2298 on: February 09, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »
Who is this Lemback character?? I'll murderize dem!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5084
« Reply #2299 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Not doing well, so couldn't get back to this til now (despite it now being 'old history' on here).

Can't recall ever seeing a squirrel with this type of markings before (the red/rust ears, arm tops and sides of the belly).

Based on the ears, that looks like a british red squirrel to me.

Quite adorable, really.

They are adorable.  It is odd, though, the one you posted does, indeed have red all over, while the one that I'd found/posted has the red in such specific areas (ears, arm tops, and stripes down the side of its belly only).  That was the main thing I found unusual (and 'unusually pretty'), the 'isolation' of the color with the white sides and back.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:11:06 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #2300 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »
Back to the red squirrel, there was one at my parents place in Connecticut several years ago, the red is pretty much on the tail and back in the North American red squirrel.  That one with all the red is definitely the European version.

Have I posted these before? 

Nice pics, Tripe. :)  The red squirrels that venture into my back yard and entertain my cat don't have remotely as red a back/tail as those, though they have the trademark white belly with the dark border to it and smaller size.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2301 on: February 09, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »
Back to the red squirrel, there was one at my parents place in Connecticut several years ago, the red is pretty much on the tail and back in the North American red squirrel.  That one with all the red is definitely the European version.

Nice pics, Tripe. :)  The red squirrels that venture into my back yard and entertain my cat don't have remotely as red a back/tail as those, though they have the trademark white belly with the dark border to it and smaller size.

Does he do the "have I posted these before" thing also?  I do remember making a post like that one but couldn't remember if it was this board or another.

Yes, that one was small, maybe twice the size of a chipmunk, or half the size of a regular squirrel.  Way more shy than a regular squirrel as well, had to stay pretty far away from him to get the pics or else he would run away (luckily I had my 400mm IS lens with me that trip up to CT).

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #2302 on: February 09, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #2303 on: February 10, 2013, 01:15:45 AM »

Does he do the "have I posted these before" thing also?  I do remember making a post like that one but couldn't remember if it was this board or another.

Yes, that one was small, maybe twice the size of a chipmunk, or half the size of a regular squirrel.  Way more shy than a regular squirrel as well, had to stay pretty far away from him to get the pics or else he would run away (luckily I had my 400mm IS lens with me that trip up to CT).

Apologies MartyS. :(  Doing poorer than I thought I was to misattribute that, when it was right in front of me and I remember [as well as I remember anything the last few days] actually LOOKING at the name/avatar to be 'sure' before responding. :(

So: nice pics, MartyS. :)

Offline goflyblind

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 7436
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2304 on: February 10, 2013, 04:54:42 AM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #2305 on: February 10, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »
I generally associate the frenetic nature of squirrels with Tourette's but that because I like Beatrix Potter.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #2306 on: February 10, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »

Offline goflyblind

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 7436
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2307 on: February 12, 2013, 03:57:45 AM »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #2308 on: February 12, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #2309 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
I've never read anything by her, but hearing about how she killed her family pet and dissected it to come up with Peter Rabbit was something I found rather ghastly.
Well, you have to bear in mind that she was very much of her time (though her books certainly started a change in the perception of animals so that the reaction you have to what she did is a more common one) and she wasn't just a children's book author (which that film from a while back glosses right over). First and foremost, at least in life, Potter was a 19th century naturalist (with a particular interest in lichens and sheep) and so she conducted herself from that standpoint.

She was also fairly important to the development of the National Trust.