Author Topic: The adorable pictures thread.  (Read 434124 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: The adorable pictures thread.
« Reply #1230 on: August 04, 2012, 08:25:05 PM »
Adorability lies in if you see the expression of not I suppose.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1231 on: August 04, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »
I am not a huge insect fan but sometimes they can be fascinating critters. When I opened up our front door this morning I found this fella hanging on the screen.

Or something like it. This is a katydid, which I know they have in the North Carolina mountains (they're deafening at night) but not this far north in Pennsylvania. He stayed there all day long and then tonight when we got home from dinner he was gone. Fascinating looking thing.

I have been learning to make my peace with insects here at this house because we have so goddamn many of them, and a lot of them are amazing hunters. I saw a couple of small praying mantises out front and hope to see them in action one day. Spiders (although not insects) are great hunters, too. So cool watching them stalk and catch their prey.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #1232 on: August 04, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
We don't get cool insects in Washington state.  :-\

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1233 on: August 04, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
You'd think you would, with all the rain (unless that's a myth). We moved 45 minutes south and there are more bugs here than there were in our old place. I'm cool with it, I guess, just as long as they're not roaches.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1234 on: August 04, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »
Adorability lies in if you see the expression of not I suppose.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dat smile! And it looks like his chin is resting on his little arm!  :D
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #1235 on: August 04, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
You'd think you would, with all the rain (unless that's a myth). We moved 45 minutes south and there are more bugs here than there were in our old place. I'm cool with it, I guess, just as long as they're not roaches.

Per capita, New York City gets more rain than Seattle does. It's just overcast here more.
No, we generally just have tough grey/brown insects and arachnids. Nothing that puts on pretty displays or imitates other things.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1236 on: August 04, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »
per uncia maybe?

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #1237 on: August 04, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »
It's used in the field of statistics in place of saying "for each person". Bad phrasing (I seem to get accused of that alot lately). I was kind of going for 'There is more rain on the people of New York than of Seattle.'

Wikipedia:
"At 944 mm (37.49 in.), in reality, the city receives less precipitation annually than New York City (1201 mm/47.28 in.), Atlanta (1290 mm/50.79 in.), Boston (1055 mm/41.53 in.), Baltimore (1038 mm/40.87 in.), Portland, Maine (1128 mm/44.41 in.), Jacksonville, Florida (1304 mm/51.34 in.), and most cities on the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. However, Seattle's rain is rather constant and misty, versus New York City's rain, which is infrequent and heavy."

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1238 on: August 04, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
I have been learning to make my peace with insects here at this house because we have so goddamn many of them, and a lot of them are amazing hunters. I saw a couple of small praying mantises out front and hope to see them in action one day. Spiders (although not insects) are great hunters, too. So cool watching them stalk and catch their prey.

I feel like I've posted this before, but I've totally made peace with Crane Flies. They eat mosquitoes, and most of time, they just chill high up on walls. I don't even really notice 'em anymore.

I have made peace with spiders, but I still hate walking out a door and getting one smack in the face.  Pick a better spot for the web, ladies.

I'm at peace with the Daddy Long-Legs type of spiders, but when I see a "bulkier," faster spider, I have a little glass vase I use to trap it and put it outside. Spiders just engender too much NOPE for me.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #1239 on: August 04, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »

I feel like I've posted this before, but I've totally made peace with Crane Flies. They eat mosquitoes, and most of time, they just chill high up on walls. I don't even really notice 'em anymore.

I have made peace with spiders, but I still hate walking out a door and getting one smack in the face.  Pick a better spot for the web, ladies.

I'm at peace with the Daddy Long-Legs type of spiders, but when I see a "bulkier," faster spider, I have a little glass vase I use to trap it and put it outside. Spiders just engender too much NOPE for me.

I always thought those were the male gender of mosquitoes! The females were small and drank blood, the males were huge and drank nectar.
Apparently crane flies don't eat mosquitoes, according to Wikipedia.

"Despite their common names, as adults, crane flies do not prey on mosquitoes, nor do they bite humans. Some larval crane flies are predatory and may occasionally eat mosquito larvae. Adult crane flies feed on nectar or they do not feed at all. Once they become adults, most crane fly species exist as adults only to mate and die."

Hide your flowers! They are after your nectar!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1240 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »

Coragale

« Reply #1241 on: August 04, 2012, 11:29:19 PM »
Hide your flowers! They are after your nectar!!!

Hides yo roses, hide yo lillies, and hide yo chrysanthemums, cause they're taking all the nectar up in here!

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #1242 on: August 05, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1243 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »

"AlAaaaaan!"

Wombat by the beach

Photo and caption by Andrew Martin

Wombats are cute and approachable. The key is to get down on their level and move very slowly.
This fellow is a little over half-grown. Photographed at the mouth of Tidal River, Wilson's Promontory National Park, Victoria, Australia

Offline goflyblind

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 7438
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #1244 on: August 05, 2012, 06:37:51 AM »
wombats! yay!

Wombats are cute and approachable. The key is to get down on their level and move very slowly.
but everything i've read about wombats makes this sound like a very bad idea. like getting in the way of a grumpy, stubborn tank. i don't trust andrew. :-\
dF = 0
d*F = J