Author Topic: Exercise Hooray!!!  (Read 35197 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: The Exercise Healthy Eating Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
I was exercising pretty well in Mexico City. They had a (crappy) gym at the hotel and I walked everywhere. I haven't done anything since I got home :( Give me some motivation!  :angry:
What do you listen to when you work out? That's actually a good general question and I think we have a thread for that.

Oh and Cjones, that sounds like a stamina issue mostly though the chest pains obviously are a concern, have you ever had asthma?

First to CJones, My brother had a similar issue with the heart thing.  I forget what he had but ill find out.  A couple doctors called it a murmur at first and others found no such evidence turned out to be heart related but not a murmur.

And yup we got that thread.  I made it :)  and again need new music to run to.  specifically i want techno thats pretty good that i can buy on the zune store.

shodan

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
Hmm I really should go back to doing Épée again, used to be so much fun. :)
i dunno, if i was going to learn a sword form i dont think id go for a foil.
Foil =/= Épée

is there a disciplne for learning how to use a buster sword?
Considering your background in Karate, you might want to try this or possibly this.

Ps swords are dumb, learn to shoot.
I do know how to shoot, I can also use a long and cross bow. As far as recreational weapon play goes I like Épée best of all.

My second oldest brother is pretty far along in Shotokan Karate, been doing it for years.

haha i actually dont like escrima that much and i've had *some* practice with tai chi chuan. even though were a traditionally Isshin-ryu school, we invite grandmasters from all over for seminars at our school cause our sensei is the head of the american branch of the WMAL. i've also had some experiance with kendo under grandmaster rico guy (this guy youtube.com/watch?v=eDF0Jwq492U), but my favorite weapon is/are the tonfa, im the instructor for my school in those and have placed 2nd in the ny state champ for traditional kata with them. and i've seen shotokan before as well. we had one sensei, sensei gabriel practice with us for awhile, while he was here in the US.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:51:20 PM by shodan »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
Let Torgos know about your post not showing up Shodan, it's trapped in the spam filter.

If you wanted to get away from Asian styles and use a weightier sword you could try this. Can't speak to how good it is though. I like lighter blades really.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:43:58 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

shodan

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »
Let Torgos know about your post not showing up Shodan, it's trapped in the spam filter.

If you wanted to get away from asian style and use a weightier sword you could try this. Can't speak to how good it is though.
ive always been interested in trying hand-and-a-half swords or broadswords, but i still like katana and wakizashi, because they've got a good reach but not as much weight. and how do i get ahold of torgo....should the master be contacted?.... no really hes an admin right, how do i look him up
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:52:16 PM by shodan »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
I really don't like Japanese swords in the slightest, they're talked up far too much by fan boys who know bugger all about swords. They are actually good swords but there's this idea, founded mostly in anime and some jidaigeki, that they're the greatest blades even made. Which is bollocks; they have strengths and weaknesses just like any other blades.

Oh and here's Torgos' profile, send him a message from there. :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:58:28 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

• Compsognathus
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Here is what i dont understand and i mentioned this to my karate instructor in texas a few years back.  We live in the gun age.  Why are you bothering to teach me how to use nunchucks (silliest weapon only to the sia) or what have you in this era.  Why cant you teach me how to defend myself better with a rifle in case someone managed to sneak past me and get close enough to need to clock him with it. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
Because those martial art classes are physical disciplines. There are marksmanship classes if you want tips on fire arms.

However, have you ever tried Krav Maga? It includes moves to disarm people who carry a gun.

Oh but actually, reading your post again, you're looking for some sort of staff weapon training, you might like Wing Chun or similar and then use the staff moves with the rifle.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:12:17 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

shodan

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
I really don't like Japanese swords in the slightest, they're talked up far too much by fan boys who know bugger all about swords. They are actually good swords but there's this idea, founded mostly in anime and some jidaigeki, that they're the greatest blades even made. Which is bollocks; they have strengths and weaknesses just like any other blades.

Oh and here's Torgos' profile, send him a message from there. :)
honestly i started off as one of those but i gained respect and admiration for the blades when i trained with grandmaster guy. they do have weaknesses i know, in comparisons to other blades, only a single cutting edge, some rigidity in the style of fighting. i hold no misconceptions about japanese swords, and i understand its infinitely more complex then anime manga make it out to be.
      i started off martial arts that way, thinking oh cool, ill be able to do backflips and jump 10 feet in the air and kill people with my thumb. i lost that quickly and still stuck with it because honestly, behind the public image of martial arts, and how some aspects of it are exaggerated, its even cooler than its perceived. and as for training against a gun, ive done that too but most people you get into bar fights with dont have guns. even most people mugging you dont have guns they use knives if anything, believe me iv experienced that first hand, and even if they do have a gun there are techniques against them once you get higher in rank, though they are extremely dangerous.
     and yea i agree with the nunchuks they are kind of ridiculous. but you have to realize that  even  though they come from an age where any weapon was outlawed and rebels had to use farming implements. (bo-stick or staff, sai- pitchfork, kama-scythe, tonfa- millwheel handle, and nunchaku- either a tool used to separate rice or a horse bridle), they still come in handy today as either an exercise tool, or as a self defense weapon, like i like to carry my tonfa in my car as an absolute last resort. and anyway weapons arent really a part of karate(literally meaning empty hand) weapons are part of the bushido system and are tacked onto some karate styles in supplication. and if you want to use a rifle like that, practice bo or  half staff techniques
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:18:33 PM by shodan »

• Compsognathus
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
Because those martial art classes are physical disciplines. There are marksmanship classes if you want tips on fire arms.

However, have you ever tried Krav Maga? It includes moves to disarm people who carry a gun.

Oh but actually, reading your post again, you're looking for some sort of staff weapon training, you might like Wing Chun or similar and then use the staff moves with the rifle.

Yeah that was part of my argument, they are similar.  But a gun (like an AR-15) has totally different weight compared to a staff.  I just think that the real reason is that they are sports now a days, very rarely is martial arts taught in a logical self defense first method.  

Shodan im not really worried about mugging.  The people who want to do me harm have already declared that fact if you follow me. 

shodan

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »
goddammit i got flagged as spam again. and i agree with tripe if you want to focus on gun defense, the israeli made krav-maga is your best bet. and with bo or staff training obviously using a gun is very different, but its not impossible to adapt the style to using a rifle, you just have to work with it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:23:10 PM by shodan »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
OK this is really frustrating because this is a really good topic.

Yeah my thing about  the Japanese swords is mostly a personal preference (like I said I acknowledge they're good swords, just different to the ones I like best :))

Sai's are only stupid because of obsolescence, they were actually pretty nifty against an opponent with a long blade.

Nunchaku I can't ever see as being all that useful except as their original use in agriculture, what I'm saying is I'd have to have absolutely no other option before I thought about employing a rice flail as even a defensive weapon.

shodan

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »
thats one of the reasons i really like tonfa. theyre practical and really powerful when used correctly. hell the police somehow had a tonfa derived weapon for awhile with the nightsticks they had. why the hell they only used one and held the wrong i dont know...

• Compsognathus
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
hell the police somehow had a tonfa derived weapon for awhile with the nightsticks they had. why the hell they only used one and held the wrong i dont know.

Because it wasnt meant to hurt people with (yeah i know that SEEMS contradictory)  See they are trained to hit legs, cause killing people or severly injuring them with a nightstick is highly problematic for the police.  If i was to learn a martial weapon the tonfa seems like the one i would want to learn.  for me really learning a weapon like these really only has a few uses (good though they be)

A) Exercise

B) the fun of it

C) sport

But yeah Tonfa seems cool.  And yeah Tripe about sais that is what i meant, just being obsolete.  Raph was my fav :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »
I think because they're just using them like the traditional truncheon, albeit with the tonfaesque adaptation, I don't know, don't cops in some Asian countries use tonfa correctly?

OK sarc, I think Fairbairn might have developed some staff fighting techniques using  a rifle rather than a simple staff, it seems like something he would have been interested in (when not developing my all time favourite fighting knife).

shodan

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
yea you figure somewhere in th trenches of the world wars somebody must have come up with a technique for cqc rifle combat