Author Topic: Exercise Hooray!!!  (Read 35206 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: The Exercise Healthy Eating Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
even though im overweight, i go to karate four times a week so im in pretty good shape if that makes any sense. let me put it this way, for my black belt test i had to do 90 pushups in 90 seconds, 70 crunches in under a minute and stay in a plank for four minutes ( plank is holding your self off the ground using your forearms and feet all one right after the other.(plank is think of the "up" pushup position and but resting on your forearms and keeping your body perfectly straight and off the ground)  and continuously spar for 4 minutes against a roster of people.

Damn.......

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:33 PM »
I've pumped iron regularly since my late teens. For cardio, I designed my own rotating circuit regime that I've been using for several years now. It includes walking, kickboxing, stair stepping, dance aerobics, and some other stuff. I get bored mentally and physically sticking to the same exercise all the time so a circuit program helps me stay on track. I generally love exercise and may be a little bit addicted to it. I just don't feel right and can't even sleep properly unless I get at least a couple of hours of it in every week.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
even though im overweight, i go to karate four times a week so im in pretty good shape if that makes any sense. let me put it this way, for my black belt test i had to do 90 pushups in 90 seconds, 70 crunches in under a minute and stay in a plank for four minutes ( plank is holding your self off the ground using your forearms and feet all one right after the other.(plank is think of the "up" pushup position and but resting on your forearms and keeping your body perfectly straight and off the ground)  and continuously spar for 4 minutes against a roster of people.

Which im sure is why your shodan.  :)   I miss karate myself. 

shodan

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »

never too late to go back. we got one guy from greece who used to be in the army over there and trained in karate but he got out and moved here about 15 years ago and started a restaurant. when our dojo moved in on the same street he started comin in again after breaking from it for so long. we've got people in their 60's people from all over the world, cops, soccer moms, i even got my neighbor to join up. just be sure to find a good dojo

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »
Hmm I really should go back to doing Épée again, used to be so much fun. :)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »

I am going to have to cite you for having too much crap over your "e's".

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
Aww c'mon I'm just pleased I can spell that precisely on my phone. ;)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »

never too late to go back. we got one guy from greece who used to be in the army over there and trained in karate but he got out and moved here about 15 years ago and started a restaurant. when our dojo moved in on the same street he started comin in again after breaking from it for so long. we've got people in their 60's people from all over the world, cops, soccer moms, i even got my neighbor to join up. just be sure to find a good dojo

Yeah i know.  heh The thing is at this point in my life i am kinda picky about where i go.  I have gone to dojos where the "sensei"  wants to constantly talk about how great and authentic his karate is.  If there is anything i have learned is they all think they are authentic and they are all largely wrong since its a silly subjective term anyways.  I would love to find a S.K.A associated dojo out here but as far as i know there is not one, my next choice would be a J.K.A.  associated dojo out here, and again i do not think there was one last time i looked.   There is a judo school that looks promising that i might check out though.

shodan

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
i dunno, if i was going to learn a sword
 form i dont think id go for a foil. something that has more cutting power... is there a disciplne for learning how to use a buster sword?

• Compsognathus
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »
Well Im in Tucson let me know :)

Ps swords are dumb, learn to shoot. 

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »

Texas Likes This

• Compsognathus
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »
Had a guy try to tell me once on why all modern wars ought to be fought with swords to make it fair.  To which i must point out that fairness has almost no place in warfare nor from an ethical stand point, should it. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
i dunno, if i was going to learn a sword form i dont think id go for a foil.
Foil =/= Épée

is there a disciplne for learning how to use a buster sword?
Considering your background in Karate, you might want to try this or possibly this.

I do know how to shoot, I can also use a long and cross bow. As far as recreational weapon play goes I like Épée best of all.

My second oldest brother is pretty far along in Shotokan Karate, been doing it for years.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:59:19 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
Back when I was in High School (nearly 20 years ago) they put us through a fitness program that Reagan initiated, and part of that included seeing how long it took you to run a mile. It took me something like 22 minutes. I could have walked it faster than that. The reason it took so long was because I had to stop and rest every couple minutes, and I spent more time resting than I spent running.

I'm plenty strong (or at least I used to be), but I have absolutely no endurance. And I'm not overweight. I'm 6'3", 185 lb now. It was more like 170 lb then. I used to try and exercise every day (mostly weight training), but eventually it just became too difficult. I've had one doctor tell me I have a heart murmur, and two others tell me there's nothing wrong with it. I think the first doctor is right. I can feel the pain in my chest when I exert myself for more than a few minutes.   

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
I was exercising pretty well in Mexico City. They had a (crappy) gym at the hotel and I walked everywhere. I haven't done anything since I got home :( Give me some motivation!  :angry:
What do you listen to when you work out? That's actually a good general question and I think we have a thread for that.

Oh and Cjones, that sounds like a stamina issue mostly though the chest pains obviously are a concern, have you ever had asthma?