Author Topic: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?  (Read 46542 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2621
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?
« Reply #270 on: September 28, 2015, 08:30:49 PM »
though one convinced me with its first outing that I would not watch the second (that being the New Muppet Show).

Wow, really?
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4632
« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2015, 03:26:03 AM »
though one convinced me with its first outing that I would not watch the second (that being the New Muppet Show).

Wow, really?

Yes, really.  It is being done like a ‘reality show’ [which I detest to begin with] and has petty behind the scenes bickering and shit going on, with flashbacks of Miss Piggy and Kermit having dated at one point, but broke up because Miss Piggy was (surprise) too self-centered.  I don’t think I actually LAUGHED during the show ONCE.  I may have smiled at one joke, but that was about it.  The rest of the time I was thinking, basically, ‘get on with it’.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3155
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »
I don't really know why, but the gag about Imagine Dragons' original name seemed extra-Muppety to me. It's a little flimsy, but that's the anchor I'm holding on to for hope. There were a few other moments here and there where the old magic peeked through. I'm sure not ready to give up on it yet.

I don't expect it to happen, but it occurred to me that it'd actually be pretty awesome if every episode aped the style of a different TV show and the whole Office schtick was just for the pilot.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1511
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2015, 11:34:54 AM »
Once again, it is time to dust off this thread for the new season, now that it has (semi-)firmly begun. :)

OK, tentatively I'm giving a chance to more shows this season to begin with than I have in literally decades.  Not yet convinced on them all, though one convinced me with its first outing that I would not watch the second (that being the New Muppet Show).

While I'm not yet ready to recommend anything, is anyone else quite happy with something they've seen thus far?

Oh, and is anyone aware of an easy place to find out how many episodes of a show were ordered before a season started?  I know that IsMyShowCancelled? is pretty good for if something is cancelled, but I'm looking for basically the other end of the spectrum: how long a season could potentially last (basically a maximum, rather than minimum).  Even with old favorites (as few of those as there are remaining on air), it is nice to know how many will be aired.

Try http://epguides.com
I use that for a bunch of info on shows

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4632
« Reply #274 on: September 29, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
Once again, it is time to dust off this thread for the new season, now that it has (semi-)firmly begun. :)

OK, tentatively I'm giving a chance to more shows this season to begin with than I have in literally decades.  Not yet convinced on them all, though one convinced me with its first outing that I would not watch the second (that being the New Muppet Show).

While I'm not yet ready to recommend anything, is anyone else quite happy with something they've seen thus far?

Oh, and is anyone aware of an easy place to find out how many episodes of a show were ordered before a season started?  I know that IsMyShowCancelled? is pretty good for if something is cancelled, but I'm looking for basically the other end of the spectrum: how long a season could potentially last (basically a maximum, rather than minimum).  Even with old favorites (as few of those as there are remaining on air), it is nice to know how many will be aired.

Thanks.  Yeah, I use that almost daily.  But they only show the ones actively scheduled (so, for like the next month or two tops), not giving info on the number ordered for a season.  The number of episodes ordered used to be the case with TVRage.com (which epguides used to link to for individual episode descriptions), but prior to the new season that became no longer available [the message on their home page is "TVRage.com servers are down since Sun, Sep 6th, 5:00am. Please be patient, we are working on fixing this issue."].
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #275 on: September 29, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »

Thanks.  Yeah, I use that almost daily.  But they only show the ones actively scheduled (so, for like the next month or two tops), not giving info on the number ordered for a season.  The number of episodes ordered used to be the case with TVRage.com (which epguides used to link to for individual episode descriptions), but prior to the new season that became no longer available [the message on their home page is "TVRage.com servers are down since Sun, Sep 6th, 5:00am. Please be patient, we are working on fixing this issue."].

Oh. I thought it used to show how many episodes there were going to be.  I thought it typically said Episode (whatever number) & TBD for the date for the whole season until info was available.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
As for new shows, so far I've watched Blindspot & The Muppets

I enjoyed both.

Not new, but not really old... I watched Killjoys & Dark Matter.  Both were ok. Not great. But good SyFy filler for while we waited on new shows to start up.  I mainly watched them after my wife went to bed & I was still awake.

I still have a couple other shows on the DVR like Minority Report, Limitless, The Player that I haven't gotten to yet. I forget if there are any others.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2617
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
Now that Amazon VOD makes you pay up front for a season pass, you can usually figure out how many episodes are going to be in a season by looking at the price of the season pass.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »

Wow, really?

Yes, really.  It is being done like a ‘reality show’ [which I detest to begin with] and has petty behind the scenes bickering and shit going on, with flashbacks of Miss Piggy and Kermit having dated at one point, but broke up because Miss Piggy was (surprise) too self-centered.  I don’t think I actually LAUGHED during the show ONCE.  I may have smiled at one joke, but that was about it.  The rest of the time I was thinking, basically, ‘get on with it’.

The Muppets always broke the fourth wall and addressed the audience and also always had behind the scenes bickering between Kermit and Piggy. It's only the minorest of updates on the original formula, and it makes them contemporary, which makes a lot of sense.

As for the break-up, they had to do SOMETHING about the fact that their relationship was built on abuse by Miss Piggy, and the 'comedy' that comes from that is very dated and inappropriate. I am pretty sure they are going to have Piggy grow as a character and have a will-they-won't they scenario, eventually bringing them back together.

If you didn't laugh, you didn't laugh, but I thought Sam the Eagle killed, and I really liked Scooter too. I don't think it was the funniest show I've ever seen, but I think it was funny and had a lot of promise.

Pilots of sit-coms are traditionally terrible - look at the first six episodes of Parks and Recreation, but it went on to be one of the best sit-coms ever made.

And, as I said in the other thread, the entire first season of The Muppet Show is average at best. Luckily people gave it a chance and it grew and became something amazing.

Anyway, if you hated it, don't watch it I guess, but I am surprised by the very mixed reaction the show is getting. I wonder if some people are being extra harsh on this pilot because they are already familiar with The Muppets, and not allowing them to do the setting up they would normally let a new show do?
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5684
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2015, 05:32:22 PM »
I think the use of the Office-like interviews isn't really edgy, because they used to do fourth wall breaking all the time. So it feels like they are trying to ride a trend but forgetting that they helped start that kind of thing. Plus, when they did it on the Muppet Show, it was out of place an unexpected, which made it funny. Here talking to the camera is expected, plus they are really essentially talking to the interviewers not the audience, who we never get to see. If they want to do something more creative, have us actually see the interviewers sometimes.
  I agree that Sam Eagle in particular was great. His walkby line "Can't say Hell." was probably the biggest laugh I had.
  The one good thing about their breakup is that Kermit isn't taking Piggy's shit anymore (except what is related to his job). His open disdain for her is refreshing in that it reflects on how I have felt about her from the beginning. Unfortunately the bitterness Kermit shows doesn't feel like the character we have come to know and love over the years. It feels like seeing an old friend broken, and is just kinda sad.
  I actually disagree with you about the first season of the Muppet Show. Aside from the characters not being quite as fleshed out (and some key ones not even being there yet), the humor and tone of the show feels fully formed. Which is all the more surprising when you watch the Sex and Violence pilot where it's really really not.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #280 on: September 29, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
I think the use of the Office-like interviews isn't really edgy, because they used to do fourth wall breaking all the time. So it feels like they are trying to ride a trend but forgetting that they helped start that kind of thing. Plus, when they did it on the Muppet Show, it was out of place an unexpected, which made it funny. Here talking to the camera is expected, plus they are really essentially talking to the interviewers not the audience, who we never get to see. If they want to do something more creative, have us actually see the interviewers sometimes.

You've seen the first episode, they may very well do that!

I actually disagree with you about the first season of the Muppet Show. Aside from the characters not being quite as fleshed out (and some key ones not even being there yet), the humor and tone of the show feels fully formed. Which is all the more surprising when you watch the Sex and Violence pilot where it's really really not.

You don't think there is a massive jump between seasons 1 and 2?
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »

In humor and tone? No. In production quality and more characters, yes.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »

In humor and tone? No. In production quality and more characters, yes.

Boy oh boy, we will have to agree to disagree then.

The first season has the awful Wayne and Wanda sketches, the houses, much more of the at the ballroom sketches, and all of the sketches are much longer than they would be in future sesaons. The musical numbers are largely worse too. I am the biggest Muppet fan going, but season 1 is basically a different show than the following seasons.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #283 on: September 29, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »
I didn't mind Wayne and Wanda, since there bits were usually pretty short (since they never got far into a song), and it was always the introduction by Sam that was the most funny anyway. You are right, the houses were always really bad. Which surprised me, given that the prop was pretty elaborate and must have been quite expensive, and they didn't use it much (as I recall). I always found the ballroom bits funny, but they did get repetitive having them be in nearly every episode.

But watching through them from the beginning (I had a thread about it here http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=29279.0), I was surprised how many of my favorite bits were from the first season. Dr. Teeth singing "Money", "Just An Old Fashioned Love Song", Muppet Labs is always great even without Beaker, Fozzy and Kermit's bit about "good grief the comedian's a bear" is one of the funniest things they ever did on the whole show, and the Discusson Panel skits were fun.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2015, 08:38:32 PM »
I didn't mind Wayne and Wanda, since there bits were usually pretty short (since they never got far into a song), and it was always the introduction by Sam that was the most funny anyway. You are right, the houses were always really bad. Which surprised me, given that the prop was pretty elaborate and must have been quite expensive, and they didn't use it much (as I recall). I always found the ballroom bits funny, but they did get repetitive having them be in nearly every episode.

But watching through them from the beginning (I had a thread about it here http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=29279.0), I was surprised how many of my favorite bits were from the first season. Dr. Teeth singing "Money", "Just An Old Fashioned Love Song", Muppet Labs is always great even without Beaker, Fozzy and Kermit's bit about "good grief the comedian's a bear" is one of the funniest things they ever did on the whole show, and the Discusson Panel skits were fun.

I don't say it's worthless, it just doesn't become a SOLID show until season 2.
FINE