Author Topic: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?  (Read 40643 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2339
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?
« Reply #330 on: February 09, 2017, 01:28:05 AM »
Did you get into The Good Place, Lucas? It's the best, IMO
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #331 on: February 09, 2017, 03:50:04 AM »
APB was decent.
Powerless probably won't last. Too bad because the cast is great.
Riverdale was brutally awful. Didn't even make it through the pilot. Had to turn it off.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4226
« Reply #332 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »

I'm glad you enjoy it.  For me the snide comments, the deception, the rudeness of Bell's character, and the saccharine-sweet tone (appearing artificial or at least shallow) of the others in 'the good place' were just too much for me, so I couldn't make it past the first episode.  Since TBI#3, I just can't tolerate personal and emotional deception at all (I was never terribly tolerant of it before, though I needed to at least be diplomatic about it while getting clients to open up and get past it, if need be).

Basically with TV series, if I couldn't see myself being at least reasonably comfortable with the characters in real life, I won't waste my time with them in fiction, as they will just - at best - irritate me (they certainly won't be entertaining).  [That's why I couldn't tolerate shows like Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends, Frasier, even before I just adopted the 'if it is a sitcom, I'm unlikely to tolerate it' position I've taken in the last nearly two decades, a position which has proven itself any time I've tried a sample of a more recent sitcom, even those with rave reviews (e.g. Parks&Rec, The Office, Modern Family).]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »

I'm glad you enjoy it.  For me the snide comments, the deception, the rudeness of Bell's character, and the saccharine-sweet tone (appearing artificial or at least shallow) of the others in 'the good place' were just too much for me, so I couldn't make it past the first episode.  Since TBI#3, I just can't tolerate personal and emotional deception at all (I was never terribly tolerant of it before, though I needed to at least be diplomatic about it while getting clients to open up and get past it, if need be).

Basically with TV series, if I couldn't see myself being at least reasonably comfortable with the characters in real life, I won't waste my time with them in fiction, as they will just - at best - irritate me (they certainly won't be entertaining).  [That's why I couldn't tolerate shows like Seinfeld, Cheers, Friends, Frasier, even before I just adopted the 'if it is a sitcom, I'm unlikely to tolerate it' position I've taken in the last nearly two decades, a position which has proven itself any time I've tried a sample of a more recent sitcom, even those with rave reviews (e.g. Parks&Rec, The Office, Modern Family).]

I can't comment on your criticisms without giving major spoilers, but I am left wondering what sitcoms you can watch?
FINE

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #334 on: February 09, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

I can't comment on your criticisms without giving major spoilers, but I am left wondering what sitcoms you can watch?

For the most part, none.  I just avoid them.  For simplicity's sake, if a TV show is 30 minutes, I skip it: period.  The only exception I tried recently was DC's Powerless which I commented on above (not likely to last more than 2-3 eps tops).

Oh, the other thing that angers me more than any of what I wrote before (yeah: me and language aren't yet on good speaking terms) is poor communication.  That occurs at an exponentially greater rate in sitcoms as fodder for 'amusement'.  Having worked with people whose personal lives and relationships were massively fucked by families of origin with shitty communication in them (among other things), and now with communicating causing so much mental drain that I can't tolerate wasting effort with people who can't communicate effectively, seeing such things as 'partially overhearing a conversation, misinterpreting it, but not asking for clarification on what was heard, and instead over-reacting' used to amuse outright pisses me off.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2017, 06:10:33 PM »
It's a shame it wasn't for you. It is one of the best written and cleverly executed shows I've ever seen. I almost wonder if you went and read what the season finale twist was, if it might make it work for you, as it addresses some of your criticisms.
FINE

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 29
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Speechless was a better show than it had any right to be.  I was convinced that it would be a cloyingly overwrought message of disabled empowerment, but it actually is surprisingly subversive, and has the most realistic living situation I've ever seen on TV before.  And it routinely pokes fun and lampshades a lot of the tropes that a sitcom with this subject matter would usually employ.  Give it a shot.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
Found out after we moved that our new TV package includes free Starz for a year, and because of that we just dove into the first three episodes of American Gods.

I absolutely loved this book, and so far the series is an excellent adaptation. The casting is brilliant, the tone is spot on, everything just feels right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1258
« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
Found out after we moved that our new TV package includes free Starz for a year, and because of that we just dove into the first three episodes of American Gods.

I absolutely loved this book, and so far the series is an excellent adaptation. The casting is brilliant, the tone is spot on, everything just feels right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm loving it as well so far. Never read the book, but the show is awesome. My favorite parts have been the contained introductions to different gods at the beginning of a few episodes. They are great little stories.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
Well... it seems it is about time to dust off this old chestnut of a thread, given that parts of the new TV season start next week.

So... what's people's take on new shows (once you've seen them)?  Or, which shows look interesting enough for you to try them?  And WHY - without the why they look interesting to you, the rest of us can't decide if it's worth our trying or not.

Thus far, for me, the only new thing that will get tried is:
  "The Rookie" - just to see what Nathan Fillion is doing since 'Castle' went off the air, since I don't care much for standard police procedurals (but with Nathan, it is unlikely to be 'standard' anything)