Author Topic: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?  (Read 41497 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1498
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
Whitney has had a few fairly funny moments.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4279
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »

Is that a show about Whitney Houston in rehab?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »

is UPN back on the air?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »

is UPN back on the air?

Whitney Be Shakin' This Fall on UPN
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4279
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 02:58:18 AM »

is UPN back on the air?

Whitney Be Shakin' This Fall on UPN

... are YOU cruisin' for some bruisin'?  Tune in!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 03:28:19 AM »
My favorites so far are all comedies.  Up All Night, 2 Broke Girls and The New Girl were all good. I've heard good things about Suburgatory (though I seriously hate that fucking title) but I haven't watched it yet.  If it's good, ABC might finally have a decent comedy night with it, The Middle, Modern Family and Happy Endings. 

For drama, I really enjoyed the Revenge pilot (haven't watched the second one yet). It was fun, soapy goodness, with a real bitch of a villain.  Ringer is kind of in the same vein, but not as polished and with less interesting characters.  Prime Suspect was pretty decent.  Person of Interest was OK.  I'm really looking forward to Homeland and American Horror Story.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 06:53:20 AM »
I really liked Modern Family at first, but that thing where characters talk to the camera is starting to bother me.  It seems like such a lazy way to work in jokes and exposition.

Also, Gloria is starting to piss me off.  She just has such a grating personality.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »
I really liked Modern Family at first, but that thing where characters talk to the camera is starting to bother me.  It seems like such a lazy way to work in jokes and exposition.

Also, Gloria is starting to piss me off.  She just has such a grating personality.

I like the cutaways. They've provided some pretty great comedy on a number of shows. And I wouldn't call it exposition in the traditional sense of providing back-story. It's most often employed to enable the characters to provide analysis of events that have already occurred. And when it is used to provide back-story, it's usually accompanied with a funny montage of clips that would otherwise be impossible to fit in save for some cheesy Wayne's World flashback transition.

Anyway, I love this show. I think they've really hit the jackpot with this one. Incredible cast, endearing characters, and it's just funny as hell.

I do agree that Gloria can be a bit grating, although it's that quality that often sets up some of O'Neill's best stuff.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
Yeah I dunno about Gloria.  Maybe I'm a sexist, but it always seems like when writers try to make a woman who's assertive or strong willed, she always comes off seeming like a bitch.

Besides, Claire is much hotter.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
Yeah I dunno about Gloria.  Maybe I'm a sexist, but it always seems like when writers try to make a woman who's assertive or strong willed, she always comes off seeming like a bitch.

Besides, Claire is much hotter.

Gloria's never really come off as a bitch to me. Assertive, overbearing, obnoxious, yes.

And yeah, Claire is amazing. She's definitely hot, but more than that, for me it's her character that ties everything together. You just get the feeling that to a certain extent she bears the stress and burdens of the entire cast.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
Grimm's premiere just got delayed to the 28th, by the way.

Also, the Grimm premiere got moved to the 28th, to note.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:21:50 AM by Raefire »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1498
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »
So they got rid of Coach on New Girl? That blows. (Also Damon Wayans Jr. looks exactly like his dad)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »
I'm digging Person of Interest. The leads are so strong that they carry the show even when the story isn't that strong. The story in the second episode was better and I'm hoping they continue to improve as the show goes on. They really hit the casting jackpot, though. Emerson couldn't be more perfect in that role.

The only thing that bugs me is the same thing that bugs me about a lot of television dramas. They have this really bad habit of having the characters restate what has just been revealed either through visuals or dialog. I hate this! It's like they assume everyone watching has the comprehension skills of a mollusk. Like when the characters discover something using one of those crazy crime-fighting computers, somebody always has to pipe up and exclaim what was just established. I just find this annoying and somewhat insulting. Some shows are worse than others. As a matter of fact, it's the frequency of this tactic that best clues me into the fact that I probably shouldn't be watching the show.

I imagine Jonathan Nolan really has to bite his tongue when he writes lines like that.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
Everyone should be watching Parks and Recreation, it's not a new show but if you haven't seen it it's "New to You!" (Copyright NBC)
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »
So they got rid of Coach on New Girl? That blows. (Also Damon Wayans Jr. looks exactly like his dad)
Did they?  I thought I remember seeing him on last week's episode, which was the 3rd and most recent.

That show is pretty much doomed.  Which is fine, because it's really not that good.