Author Topic: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?  (Read 44298 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6791
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: Anything New This Season That Warrants Viewing?
« Reply #255 on: November 10, 2013, 06:21:49 AM »
i was going to like your post, but i only agree with the first half.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #256 on: November 11, 2013, 05:18:16 AM »
i was going to like your post, but i only agree with the first half.

I had the same thought. But then I went ahead and liked it anyway.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:11 AM »
I am in love with Brooklyn nine-nine.

I can definitely second that. It was enjoyable, but man did everything come together during the episode where they introduced the vulture. It was wonderful getting that ensemble cast on the same page against that turd, and it's been awesome ever since. I'm still patiently awaiting for them to unleash Peretti in an episode. I'm so happy her career is taking off. 

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4532
« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
Well, it took a couple episodes to grow on me, and a couple more to see more of where it was going (at least to start), but I'm starting to really like Almost Human.  I mean, it starts as basically a TV version of the film 'I, Robot' (with minor nods to 'Blade Runner'), but has developed more depth than 'I, Robot' already.  I like Carl Urban as the lead, his android partner played by Michael Ealy, and it is nice to see Minka Kelly in it (had never seen her in anything before).

I do hope that there is a 'bigger picture' coming.  Somehow with JJ Abrams as Exec Producer, and J. H. Wyman as creator, I suspect 'bigger picture' to be a core of the show's idea.  I just hope Fox allows it to develop long enough to hook enough viewers for those ideas to get fleshed out.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
MID SEASON REPORT
« Reply #259 on: December 10, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
At lest this use to be the mid season way back when. When I was growing up, the new season began just after Labor Day, took a one to two week break for Christmas/New Years, and ended around the first week of March. Then the networks decided they needed to participate in the May Sweeps, and the season was padded out with mid-season reruns and the odd unnecessary hiatus, while the beginning of the season on many shows were delayed as late as November. Many shows now have shorter seasons, and networks are promoting Winter and Summer seasons, while full season shows, which are quickly becoming the dinosaurs of the industry, now have something called the mid season finale. Still, now is a good time to catch up on any series you may have skipped, provided the past season is available on Hulu or iN Demand. Out of the new series that debuted on network television, here is my top 10 in order of preference.

#1 The Blacklist
James Spader is one of the F.B.I.s most wanted who one day turns himself in. He wants amnesty for his past crimes, and in trade will help the government track down some of the worlds worst international criminals and terrorists. And he insists on being teamed with Elizabeth Keen, an agent who has just begun working that day and has never met him before. Another variation on the Brimstone premise, with a bit of the X-Files thrown in, and even a little bit of last year's Hannibal, you would think the gimmick would grow tired after a few episodes. But it has remained strong throughout the season, ending with a spectacular two part mid season finale where the black op fortress Spader works for is attacked by mercenaries.

#2 Almost Human
With a late start I only have a few episodes to work with here, but this new J.J. Abrams series, about a police detective working with an android partner, has so far been one of the best new shows this season. It has a constant big budget cinematic quality, and instantly likable characters. And even though the premise seems like something that has been done many times before, it does something I like sci-fi series to do, explore futuristic tech and scientific concepts. A lazy sci-fi show would just have the cops solving regular murders.

#3 Dracula
I began watching this with little expectations only because it was about Dracula, and more than half expected it to be disaster. One does not watch the new Dracula series without first being confused. There have been many adaptations of Dracula, all which follow a plot identical to the source novel. During a storm a ship wrecks on the shores of England, the crew either dead or missing, the body of the captain lashed to the ship's wheel. That same week the mysterious Count Dracula moves into a nearby manor, and soon after there are a number of mysterious deaths. Professor Van Helsing is called in to attempt to cure the aristocrat Lucy Westenra who is near death and suffering from an unexplained loss of blood. Van Helsing realizes a vampire is responsible, and soon suspects Dracula. His diagnosis of vampirism is confirmed after Lucy dies and soon after rises from her own grave. Van Helsing realizes that Dracula is now targeting Lucy's friend Mina. Most adaptations explain this infatuation as Mina either resembling or being a reincarnation of the Count's wife who had died hundreds of years earlier. The adaptations end with Dracula being tracked to his coffin just as the sun is setting, and getting the steak through the heart. This new adaptation of Dracula has almost none of this. It has all of the same characters, but in a brand new story. This time Van Helsing is in league with Dracula. Together they are attempting to destroy a secret society who was responsible for murdering Van Helsings family, and the same to Dracula's family centuries earlier, as well as deliberately turning Dracula into a vampire as further punishment. Dracula is masquerading as a rich American named Alexander Grayson, and he has invented some sort of new generator that is capable of transmitting electricity without wires. Yep, this is how Dracula and Van Helsing plan to take their revenge, by bankrupting the secret society, who wealth is invested in the emerging gasoline industry. Renfield is no longer the crazy bug eating lawyer that Dracula turned crazy, but instead Dracula's rather large and quite sane African American servant. Lucy is now a lesbian secretly in love with Mina, who once again resembles Dracula's long dead wife, just about the only thing in common with the past adaptations. Dracula spends most of the time in his guise as Grayson, seeming more like a parody of Leonardo Dicaprio than the king of the vampires. And there is also Victoria Smurfit  as a leather clad vampire hunter who knows Kung Fu, who has an affair with Grayson unaware that he is really Dracula. Despite all of this Dracula seemed to work in its first two episodes, then became better as the story unfolded. It has nothing to do with the story of Dracula, and you will be wondering why the Dracula character is in this Victorian soap opera, but inevitably it is another excellent new series.

#4 Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
Once Upon a Time is one of those guilty pleasure series, not great, but good enough to be addictive. It's spin off series, ....Wonderland, surpasses it in both story telling and visual effects. During yet another visit to Wonderland, a grown up Alice falls in love with a genie named Cyrus who had traveled to Wonderland to escape the evil Jafar. When Jafar teams up with the Red Queen to capture Cyrus and drain him of his magic, Alice sets out to rescue him. What a shame it is getting poor ratings and is constantly rumored to be close to cancelation. If you have never seen it, now is a good time to catch the past episodes on Hulu, especially those of you with a Nielsen box. I hate it when a series this good doesn't survive while the crap on the other channels gets renewed. And don't worry about the spin-off thing. The plot and characters do not continue from the parent series, just the premise that other fantasy realms exist.

#5 The Crazy Ones
You probably would not expect a comedy series that boasts the return of Robin Williams to be any good, Considering the hit and usually miss track record of past comedy series with slumming former movie stars. And the promos for this series this past summer were not that good. But this is yet another solid David E Kelly series with the same feel of Ally McBeal and Boston Legal, only with an ad agency instead of another law firm, and condensed down to a half hour.

#6 The Goldbergs
I never intended to watch this one. The premise is a family in the 80s, which sounds a lot like a lot of lame jokes about Michael Jackson, Pac Man, Break Dancing and The Rubik's Cube, etc.  Actually, the series is more like The Wonder Years than That 70s Show, and so far the 80s jokes have been kept to a minimum. The only reason I gave this show a chance was that it was on after Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D., and the teenage girl shown in the posters promoting the show looked really cute, and had a lot of potential should the show go the "Kelly Bundy" route with her character. The show was surprisingly enjoyable.

#7 Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Now comes a big drop off in the quality of the new shows. Ask yourself this. When agent Coulson was killed in the movie The Avengers, and Captain America and the other heroes were sitting around the table getting teary eyed about his passing, did you find the scene sad, or were you impatient for the characters get back to fighting Loki and his minions?  The Coulson character had appeared in just about every Marvel movie prior to The Avengers, and each time S.H.I.E.L.D. showed up that movie came to a dead halt. But when it came time for Marvel to produce a television series spin off from their current cinematic universe,   actor Clark Gregg was the only one willing to commit to a series. So his character was revived from the dead. Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. was created by Stan Lee at the height of the 60s Spy craze, but went no further than 17 issues. In contrast, Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos lasted for 11 years, and continued as reprints until 1981 bringing the series to 167 issues before Marvel pulled the plug. Though S.H.I.E.L.D. did not last that long as a book, the organization became part of the Marvel universe, occasionally turning up in various titles, but never being as popular as Stan Lee made it out to be. In 1998 FOX purchased the rights to do a S.H.I.E.L.D. series starring David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, but it went no further than a low rated pilot movie. The organization took on importance again when it was used to tie together the movies in Marvel's cinematic universe. This time it is S.H.I.E.L.D. who organize The Avengers. The original book had the heroes band together to fight Loki without any organization asking them to, then decided to remain as a team. The only reason to watch the new S.H.I.E.L.D. series is that it does tie into the Marvel cinematic universe, and does occasionally have characters from those films show up for cameos. But otherwise, it is an X-Files clone with spies. Though not as fun as the other series on my list, and nowhere as fun as The Avengers, it is entertaining enough to continue watching, and does have the promise of improving. And there are those surprise cameos.

#8 The Tomorrow People
Yep, a typical CW show. This time a remake of a classic British sci-fi series from the 70s. In the CW version, the Tomorrow People are a group of teenagers who are the next stage in human evolution, meaning they have X-Men like mutant abilities. They can teleport themselves, shoot telepathic energy from their hands, and read minds. A secret government agency called Ultra exists that hunts down the Tomorrow People, looking to take their powers away, or exterminate the mutants who they deem too dangerous. To hide from Ultra, the Tomorrow People create a secret base in an abandoned subway station. In other words, a series about teenagers with special powers. The only reason why I began watching this one, other than it was on after Arrow, is that every day last summer I would walk past the advertising poster for the series in the subway. The poster had actress Peyton List in a tight leather outfit.

That's her on the left.

I have been watching the series for about eight weeks so far, and she has not worn that outfit once. So much for truth in advertising. The series itself is hardly as classic as the series it was based on, but is entertaining enough to continue watching. Although if the CW announced it was canceled it would not bother me a bit.

#9 Sleepy Hollow
Why the hell would anyone make a television series out of the short story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow?  Much like with Dracula, The same characters from the story are reimagined. Ichabod Crane is now a Revolutionary War soldier who was the one who originally cut the horseman's head off. Ichabod was killed during that battle, but is mysteriously brought back to life in the present, only to discover the Headless Horseman has also returned from the dead, and is now randomly appearing and beheading people. And it turns out that the Headless Horseman is actually one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, and once he has found his missing head will be able to summon the other three Horsemen and bring about the end of time. And Katrina Van Tassel? She turned out to be a witch, and was the one who cast the spell that caused Ichabod to return from the dead. Currently she is trapped in purgatory, and is occasionally able to contact Ichabod in his dreams. The Horseman is barely on the show, only appearing in about every fourth episode. Instead the show had Ichabod battling a different monster or demon every week. Much like S.H.I.E.L.D. and Tomorrow People, Sleepy Hollow is just entertaining enough to watch, but borders on being a series I could easily drop.

#10 [ Tie ] The Michael J Fox Show and Trophy Wife
These are the two series I actually dropped after watching their respective pilots. Just not entertaining enough for me to watch again.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Adult Swim's "Rick and Morty" is the best new animated series to come out of Adult Swim in a very long time.

(It's also kind of the ONLY new animated series to come out of Adult Swim in a very long time, but it IS really good!)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2597
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »
Man, as much as I wanted to like it, I very much didn't.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4968
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2014, 10:41:27 PM »
That's my review for Agents of SHIELD.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2014, 05:18:12 AM »
I, too, am echoing the love for Brooklyn Nine Nine. Usually shows like that take a little while to get going but that show was pretty awesome right out of the box, and so far it's kept its momentum. Plus I do love Joe Lo Truglio, he won mad love from me in the movie Role Models and is one of my favorite comedic actors of all time. His Al Capone bit on Drunk History was hilarious.

Speaking of....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xzzYJ1aDjhM?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xzzYJ1aDjhM?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Check out Drunk History, too.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2014, 11:13:28 AM »
Nice to see you again, wurwolf. :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
Sundance's The Returned was a great watch.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »

A thousand times THIS.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2014, 05:10:48 AM »

A documentary chronicling the downfall of Blockbuster?

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »

A thousand times THIS.

I'm completely on-board.  The mysteries the show has developed are pretty awesome. It also gave us cool shots such as this:

...and

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #269 on: September 28, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
Once again, it is time to dust off this thread for the new season, now that it has (semi-)firmly begun. :)

OK, tentatively I'm giving a chance to more shows this season to begin with than I have in literally decades.  Not yet convinced on them all, though one convinced me with its first outing that I would not watch the second (that being the New Muppet Show).

While I'm not yet ready to recommend anything, is anyone else quite happy with something they've seen thus far?

Oh, and is anyone aware of an easy place to find out how many episodes of a show were ordered before a season started?  I know that IsMyShowCancelled? is pretty good for if something is cancelled, but I'm looking for basically the other end of the spectrum: how long a season could potentially last (basically a maximum, rather than minimum).  Even with old favorites (as few of those as there are remaining on air), it is nice to know how many will be aired.