Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 39243 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5634
  • Mr. Robot
Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
1 – Water

190 points          
12 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 CJones, Johnny Unusual

Water is a chemical substance with the chemical formula H2O. Its molecule contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms connected by covalent bonds. Water is a liquid at ambient conditions, but it often co-exists on Earth with its solid state, ice, and gaseous state (water vapor or steam). Water also exists in a liquid crystal state near hydrophilic surfaces. Under nomenclature used to name chemical compounds, Dihydrogen monoxide is the scientific name for water, though it is almost never used.

Water covers 70.9% of the Earth's surface, and is vital for all known forms of life. On Earth, it is found mostly in oceans and other large water bodies, with 1.6% of water below ground in aquifers and 0.001% in the air as vapor, clouds (formed of solid and liquid water particles suspended in air), and precipitation. Oceans hold 97% of surface water, glaciers and polar ice caps 2.4%, and other land surface water such as rivers, lakes and ponds 0.6%. A very small amount of the Earth's water is contained within biological bodies and manufactured products.

Water on Earth moves continually through a cycle of evaporation or transpiration (evapotranspiration), precipitation, and runoff, usually reaching the sea. Evaporation and transpiration contribute to the precipitation over land.

Clean drinking water is essential to humans and other lifeforms. Access to safe drinking water has improved steadily and substantially over the last decades in almost every part of the world. There is a clear correlation between access to safe water and GDP per capita. However, some observers have estimated that by 2025 more than half of the world population will be facing water-based vulnerability. A recent report (November 2009) suggests that by 2030, in some developing regions of the world, water demand will exceed supply by 50%. Water plays an important role in the world economy, as it functions as a solvent for a wide variety of chemical substances and facilitates industrial cooling and transportation. Approximately 70% of the fresh water actively handled by humans is consumed by agriculture.

Water can dissolve many different substances, giving it varying tastes and odors. Humans and other animals have developed senses which enable them to evaluate the potability of water by avoiding water that is too salty or putrid. The taste of spring water and mineral water, often advertised in marketing of consumer products, derives from the minerals dissolved in it. However, pure H2O is tasteless and odorless. The advertised purity of spring and mineral water refers to absence of toxins, pollutants and microbes.

The human body contains from 55% to 78% water, depending on body size. To function properly, the body requires between one and seven liters of water per day to avoid dehydration; the precise amount depends on the level of activity, temperature, humidity, and other factors. Most of this is ingested through foods or beverages other than drinking straight water. It is not clear how much water intake is needed by healthy people, though most advocates agree that approximately 2 liters (6 to 7 glasses) of water daily is the minimum to maintain proper hydration. Medical literature favors a lower consumption, typically 1 liter of water for an average male, excluding extra requirements due to fluid loss from exercise or warm weather. For those who have healthy kidneys, it is rather difficult to drink too much water, but (especially in warm humid weather and while exercising) it is dangerous to drink too little. People can drink far more water than necessary while exercising, however, putting them at risk of water intoxication (hyperhydration), which can be fatal. The popular claim that "a person should consume eight glasses of water per day" seems to have no real basis in science. Similar misconceptions concerning the effect of water on weight loss and constipation have also been dispelled.

An original recommendation for water intake in 1945 by the Food and Nutrition Board of the United States National Research Council read: "An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods." The latest dietary reference intake report by the United States National Research Council in general recommended (including food sources): 3.7 liters for men and 2.7 liters of water total for women. Specifically, pregnant and breastfeeding women need additional fluids to stay hydrated. The Institute of Medicine (U.S.) recommends that, on average, men consume 3.0 liters and women 2.2 liters; pregnant women should increase intake to 2.4 liters (10 cups) and breastfeeding women should get 3 liters (12 cups), since an especially large amount of fluid is lost during nursing. Also noted is that normally, about 20% of water intake comes from food, while the rest comes from drinking water and beverages (caffeinated included). Water is excreted from the body in multiple forms; through urine and feces, through sweating, and by exhalation of water vapor in the breath. With physical exertion and heat exposure, water loss will increase and daily fluid needs may increase as well.

Humans require water with few impurities. Common impurities include metal salts and oxides, including copper, iron, calcium and lead, and/or harmful bacteria, such as Vibrio. Some solutes are acceptable and even desirable for taste enhancement and to provide needed electrolytes.

The single largest (by volume) freshwater resource suitable for drinking is Lake Baikal in Siberia.

Drink-Based Recipe – Hot Water Cornbread
Ingredients
•   1 cup cornmeal
•   1 teaspoon salt
•   1 teaspoon white sugar
•   1 tablespoon shortening
•   3/4 cup boiling water

Directions
1.   In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, and sugar. Add boiling water and shortening; stir until shortening melts.
2.   Pour oil or bacon fat to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large skillet and heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3.   Shape cornmeal mixture into flattened balls using a heaping tablespoon as a measuring guide. Fry each in hot oil, turning once, until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve at once with maple syrup or honey.
 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bCWA7uevo_Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bCWA7uevo_Q</a>

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »
5 – Coffee
74 points          
6 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #3 DB Barnes

My lifeblood! Seriously, I couldn't function without it.And I really, truly enjoy the taste. And to me, fresh coffee is one the most inviting aromas. I mainly drink it black with no sugar, but I also enjoy mochas, cappuccinos, and iced coffee with cream and sugar. Back in high school, we'd cut classes and go hang out at Carrow's. We'd sit there drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes for like two hours. Most of the time, all we ordered was coffee. The waitresses fucking hated us!

4 – Cream Soda
81 points          
4 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Pak Man

I used to love this as a kid, but super-sweet stuff doesn't appeal all that much to me anymore.

2 – Dr Pepper
149 points          
7 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Gojikranz

#2. Wow.

Also used to love this as a kid, even more than cream soda. I still like the taste, it's just not as appealing to the palate as it used to be. 

1 – Water
190 points          
12 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 CJones, Johnny Unusual

Never heard of it.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »

2 – Dr Pepper
149 points          
7 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Gojikranz

#2. Wow.

Wow, but quite a large margin too!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »
Thanks for driving the list, Johnny!

A couple of these may have made it into one of the consolidated entries. Not sure.

1. Iced Tea
2. Gentleman's Jack
3. Coffee
4. Jack and Coke
5. White Russian
6. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
7. Green Tea
8. Sparking Water
9. Mudslide
10. Wild Turkey American Honey
11. Gin and Tonic
12. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale
13. Jägermeister
14. Stewart's Orange 'n' Cream Soda
15. Absolut Vanilia Vodka
16. Grapefruit Juice
17. Root Beer Float
18. Hot Chocolate
19. Jamaica Red Ale
20. Cherry Coke
21. Vodka Martini
22. Chocolate Milkshake
23. Coke Slurpee
24. Red Bull
25. Cherry Gatorade

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 839
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
Sweet! My number one and two picks ended up first and second, respectively. I love Dr Pepper, but I drink lots and LOTS of water. The most of any beverage by far.

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed I got the top vote for Orange Juice. Also sweet! Literally! Incidentally, Simply Orange is hands down the best orange juice I've ever tasted that you can buy in a grocery store. I can drink an entire jug of that stuff in two days, easy.

All in all, this was pretty interesting, and I'm glad I joined. I'll endeavor to participate in the next one.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »
I thought it was a pretty darned interesting list. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
Yeah, Dr. Pepper's huge lead shocked me.  I checked several times to see it was a miscount, but people LOVE Dr. Pepper.  I don't dislike it, but not a big fan myself.  I really want to try Mexican Coke now.

EDIT:  By the by, the poll for the next list is up now.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 839
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »
Yeah, it was interesting, like I said in my edit.

I had a couple of really oddball ones on my list that I feel like sharing now. Nyquil, which I drink nearly every night to help me sleep, at #24. And Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce at #19. Hey, it's a liquid and it's edible. And it's an ingredient of the Bloody Mary (which I've never actually had). But I put it on all sorts of stuff. I didn't expect either one of those to make it, I was just struggling to reach 25 entries.

Oh and I put Budweiser at #25 out of pity, simply because I live near Busch Gardens Williamsburg (which is a great place). I was tempted to add Bud American Ale just as a joke, but I didn't feel right voting for something I've never tasted.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2011, 04:41:35 PM »
Yeah, people drink condiments and sauces all the time.

I was tempted to make a list of "beverages that are inferior to straight Worchester sauce as a goof, but I'm feeling rather ill.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2011, 05:18:29 PM »
1.   Lapsang Souchong Tea
2.   Irish Breakfast Tea
3.   Absinthe

4.   Ribena
5.   Perry
6.   Tiger Beer
7.   Rhone Red Wine
8.   Mead (Particularly Norwegian but any Mead is good as long as it’s the real stuff)
9.   Irish Whisky
10.   Rosé  Sparkling Wine (Champaign Method)
11.   Navy Rum
12.   Cider (scrumpy style)
13.   Scotch
14.   Cognac
15.   Akevitt
16.   Sherry (Amontillado)
17.   Tawny Port
18.   Gin
19.   Calvados
20.   Earl Grey Tea (preferably with Neroli)
21.   Gunpowder Green Tea
22.   Orange Barley Water
23.   Lemon Barley Water
24.   Guan Yin Oolong Tea
25.   Sweet Vermouth

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
1.   Lapsang Souchong Tea
2.   Irish Breakfast Tea
3.   Absinthe

4.   Ribena
5.   Perry
6.   Tiger Beer
7.   Rhone Red Wine
8.   Mead (Particularly Norwegian but any Mead is good as long as it’s the real stuff)
9.   Irish Whisky
10.   Rosé  Sparkling Wine (Champaign Method)
11.   Navy Rum
12.   Cider (scrumpy style)
13.   Scotch
14.   Cognac
15.   Akevitt
16.   Sherry (Amontillado)
17.   Tawny Port
18.   Gin
19.   Calvados
20.   Earl Grey Tea (preferably with Neroli)
21.   Gunpowder Green Tea
22.   Orange Barley Water
23.   Lemon Barley Water
24.   Guan Yin Oolong Tea
25.   Sweet Vermouth

Wow. Lot goin' on here.

Mead! I've never had mead, but if I did, I'd wanna drink it out of a leather mug, or maybe out of the bosom of a wench.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
I'd wanna drink it out of a leather mug, or maybe out of the bosom of a wench.
I've done the latter if not the former (ah Julianna, how I miss our college days sometimes). :)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2011, 05:54:54 PM »
Adding something to my bucket list

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
I'd wanna drink it out of a leather mug, or maybe out of the bosom of a wench.
I've done the latter if not the former (ah Julianna, how I miss our college days sometimes). :)

Nice!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
I've also drunk Remmy that way, and more recently. Which makes me think of something to do this weekend...

It also makes me want to visit Venice and Julie though I think Ann might frown on my reviving an old college drinking tradition. Mind you,she would like the city. ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:39:41 PM by Tripe H. Redux »