Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 41142 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
23 – Orange Pop

36 points       
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #7 Gojikranz

Orange soft drinks (called orange soda or orange pop) in certain regions of the US, orangeade in the UK, or the generalized trademark orangina in France) are carbonated orange drinks.

Orange soft drinks (especially those without orange juice) often contain very high levels of sodium benzoate, and this often imparts a slight metallic taste to the beverage. Other additives commonly found in orange soft drinks include rosin and sodium hexametaphosphate.

Orangeade first appeared as a variety of carbonated drink provided in soda fountains in American drugstores in the late 19th century, brands including Miner's and Lash's. A recipe for home made Orangeade appears in editions of Fannie Farmer's cookbook.

Drink-Based Recipe – Orange Pop Chicken

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 can (12 ounce size) orange soda
1/2 cup soy sauce

PREPARATION:
Place chicken in crockpot. Combine soy sauce and orange soda. Pour over chicken. Cover; cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.

Serve over hot, cooked rice.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nW2p7qvyjsg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nW2p7qvyjsg</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »

22 – Apple Cider

37 points       
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #11 Cole Stratton

Serving Preferences: Hot Spiced (Cole Stratton), Cold (Johnny Unusual)

Apple cider (also called sweet cider or soft cider) is the name used in the United States and parts of Canada for an unfiltered, unsweetened, non-alcoholic beverage made from apples. It may be opaque due to fine apple particles in suspension and may be tangier than conventional filtered apple juice, depending on the apples used.

This untreated cider is a seasonally produced drink of limited shelf-life that is typically available only in fall, although it is sometimes frozen for use throughout the year. It is traditionally served on the Halloween,Thanksgiving, and Christmas holidays, sometimes heated and mulled.

While the term cider is used for the fermented alcoholic drink in most of the world, the term hard cider is used in the United States and much of Canada. In the United States, the distinction between plain apple juice and cider is not legally well established.

Some individual states do specify the difference. For example, according to the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources "Apple juice and apple cider are both fruit beverages made from apples, but there is a difference between the two. Fresh cider is raw apple juice that has not undergone a filtration process to remove coarse particles of pulp or sediment. Apple juice is juice that has been filtered to remove solids and pasteurized so that it will stay fresh longer. Vacuum sealing and additional filtering extend the shelf life of the juice." In Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency also regulates "unpasteurized apple cider".

Drink Recipe – Spiced Apple Cider

Ingredients
1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange rind
4 whole cloves
2 pieces cinnamon, (1 inch/2.5 cm)
3 cups (750 mL) apple cider or apple juice
Granulated sugar, (optional)

Preparation:
In small square of double-thickness fine cheesecloth, tie up orange rind, cloves and cinnamon pieces; place in saucepan. Add apple cider; cover and heat over medium heat just until boiling.

Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard bag; stir in sugar to taste (if using).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dEZVZ-2k6Po" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dEZVZ-2k6Po</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
Ah yes, Apple Cider. Mmmm. Best Apple Cider in upsate NY is Hollenbecks in Virgil NY. They make spectacular grape juice, too.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
21 – Mr. Pibb

39 points          
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #3 Psycho Goatee

Pibb Xtra, previously sold as Mr Pibb, is a soft drink marketed by The Coca-Cola Company. As of 2011, it is sold in most of the United States.

First introduced as "Peppo" to compete against Dr Pepper, the name was changed in 1972 to "Mr. Pibb" after Dr Pepper sued The Coca-Cola Company for trademark infringement. The original test markets for Mr. Pibb in 1972 were located in Waco, Texas, the birthplace of Dr Pepper, though the Dr Pepper company moved to Dublin, Texas soon after creating the drink.

In 1999, BrandGames distributed a video game through various fast food chains such as McDonald's with a meal and a large Mr. Pibb. It featured a cartoon man similar to the cartoon used on the original Mr. Pibb can, whose mission was to escape from a school inhabited by zombies. He defeated the zombies by burping at them and he could increase his burping capacity by drinking Mr. Pibb. This video game was played on a PC using MS-DOS, and was distributed in floppy disk format (3.5" diskette) and (less common) PC CD-ROM.

In 2001, a new formula called Pibb Xtra was introduced with added cinnamon flavor, replacing the original formula in many parts of the United States.

In 2010, the description on the can was changed to "Spicy Cherry Soda."

Drink-Based Recipe – Mr Pibb Pralines

Ingredients

1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Dark Packed Brown Sugar
1 Cup Marshmellows
2-3 Cups Pecan Halves
Directions
Cook sugars and Mr. Pibb in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, then gradually birng to the soft ball stage (240 degrees F on candy thermometer).

Remove mixture from heat; stir in marshmallows and pecans.

Mix vigorously until marshmallows dissolve.

Quickly drop by tablespoon on wax paper to cool.

Makes 2 dozen pralines.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fgvDTY29Kqc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fgvDTY29Kqc</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2011, 05:17:15 PM »
OK, that's it for tonight!  Tomorrow: 10 more entries and perhaps a bonus or two!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
25 – Chocolate Milkshake
35 points    
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #4 Johnny Unusual

Only three lists. That's a bit surprising. I loved these ever since I was little; it always seemed like a big treat, with the whipped cream and the cherry. My favorite these days is the one from In-N-Out Burger. Just don't go looking up the Nutritional Facts on this one.

24 – Jägermeister
36 points       
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #3 Monty

This and Mudslides are the only booze I ever take shots of anymore, and that's a pretty rare occasion. This is sort of what I imagine Snake Juice would be like if Snake Juice was a real thing. The trouble with this stuff, at least in my experience, is you never start out with it. The idea seems to come up well into the evening when you're judgment is heavily compromised, and then all hell can break loose. By far the worst hangovers I've ever experienced all involved this cold, cough-syrupy temptress.

24 – Absinthe
36 points       
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #3 Tripe Hound Redux

Sadly, or perhaps thankfully, I haven't had much experience with this, although I'm attracted to and fascinated by the whole ritual of it. I guess I don't hang out with sophisticated enough drinkers.

23 – Orange Pop
36 points       
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #7 Gojikranz

Okay, now I'm just confused.

22 – Apple Cider
37 points       
3 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #11 Cole Stratton

Seems as if the only chance I get to have this is when there are free samples being offered somewhere, like at a Farmer's Market. I like the taste, but I prefer in small amounts due to the sweetness.

21 – Mr. Pibb
39 points          
2 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #3 Psycho Goatee

I can't be completely certain, but I honestly don't think I've ever even tried this.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »
Think you could use a different pic? Because....

It is an anise-flavoured spirit derived from herbs, including the flowers and leaves of the herb Artemisia absinthium, commonly referred to as "grande wormwood", together with green anise and sweet fennel.
It's these latter two that give it the dominant flavour and balance out the bitterness copmming from the wormwood. If there's no anise, it's not really Abinthe and without the anise it won't louche.

Absinthe traditionally has a natural green colour but can also be colourless.
It is commonly referred to in historical literature as "la fée verte" (the "green fairy" in French).

Although it is sometimes mistakenly called a liqueur, absinthe is not bottled with added sugar and is therefore classified as a spirit. Absinthe has a very high level of alcohol by volume but is normally diluted with water when consumed.
And should not be set on fire, despite what stupid Czech distillers would have you believe.

Absinthe originated in the canton of Neuchâtel in Switzerland. It achieved great popularity as an alcoholic drink in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers. Owing in part to its association with bohemian culture, consumption of absinthe was opposed by social conservatives and prohibitionists.
As well as wine producers, funny old world. ;)

Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Amedeo Modigliani, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Aleister Crowley and Alfred Jarry were all known drinkers of absinthe.
And in honour of the two in bold, I make a chocolate absinthe ice cream called Cocoa Eclipse. :)

Absinthe has been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug. The chemical thujone, present in small quantities, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in most European countries including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Although absinthe was vilified, it has not been shown that it is any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Its psychoactive properties, apart from those of alcohol, have been much exaggerated.
Absolutely, the only way you get a high from absinthe is if you also get a high from booze (ome can but most don't) the fact it tastes like licorice means the experience is unlike most booze experiences (Ouzo and Sambuca excepted) which can add to the psychological effects I think.

France, Switzerland, Spain, and the Czech Republic.
Good to great, Almost always great, Fair to almost great, utter shite

Drink Recipe – ABC [/b][/u]
Ingredients
•     1/3 absinthe
•     1/3 Bacardi 151
•     1/3 chartreuse
Instructions
•     Add all ingredients into a shot glass with green Chartreuse last and enjoy.
Really? You didn't want to describe the actual ritual? Anyone know how to embed a facebook vid?

Oh and this is a pretty good one from the god old US of A (click on the pic to visit the site)

And, if I can ever find it and have the money for it I want to try this

It's supposed to be magnificent, shame the same can't be said for the current product. It's also not predominantly green but reather a orange-amber colour reminiscent of autumnal leaves, which is another of the shade that absinthe used to be famous for. Vieux Carre has a touch of feuille-morte but it's mostly green.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:50:41 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2011, 06:53:01 PM »
Hey man, I know nothing of alcohol.  I'm a teetotaler.  If you want to post some weird Absinthe recipe sex ritual thing, go ahead.  I just picked a random recipe that sounded interesting.  You want to show me the right way to do it, I'll be happy to see it.  Maybe I should have tried to find a Jell-O shot made with absinthe (I'm trying to make a joke, but for all I know that's actually a thing) rather than drop the absinthe ball.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2011, 06:54:59 PM »
Well that's why I asked about the video embedding, I actually talked about it in a vid on my Facebook wall but I don't know how to embed it. :)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean.  If it ain't youtube, I can rarely embed.  Feel free to link though.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »
Oh,

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/v/2126917706007" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/v/2126917706007</a>

Simple as that apparently. :)

the picture I'm refering to seems to have disappered from my wall pictures, which is odd. Oh and Mata Hari is not OK, I subsequently discovered.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
Oh,

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/v/2126917706007" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/v/2126917706007</a>

Simple as that apparently. :)

Hey, I remember this. I remember wanting to go out and get all the stuff after watching it, and then I got distracted by a cat GIF or something.

Seriously though, I really do need to do this. The only experience I've had is with Absinthe mixed with other things, which I suppose really isn't the experience at all.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
Just for the record cognac rules.  hehe im nice and toasty.  NICE.  and.  TOASTY. 

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »
Just for the record cognac rules.  hehe im nice and toasty.  NICE.  and.  TOASTY. 

Always a nice place to be.

See, cognac, like absinthe, is another one I've had very little experience with yet would like to dance with. Give me some sipping suggestions, other than the $200/bottle stuff if you don't mind.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »