login

Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 41123 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 02:18:48 AM »
46 – Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Pak Man

Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper (began 2004) was released in some areas on October 15, 2004. The beverage tastes similar to Dr Pepper but has stronger cherry and vanilla flavors added. Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper was the first drink in the planned "Soda Fountain Classics" line of beverages from Dr Pepper, a range of drinks designed to taste similar to popular soda fountain drinks from the 1950s. It is now only available in select areas of the U.S. It was available in Canada for a short period of time, but it ceased production as of mid-2007. It became available again in mid-2008 after Diet Cherry Chocolate Dr Pepper ceased production.

Drink Recipe – Cherry Vanila Dr. Pepper

Make your own… with Booze!

1 oz Amaretto
4 oz Rum
2 drops Vanilla Extract
8 oz Dr. Pepper
Best served in a Collins Glass.
Directions

Pour all ingredients into a collins glass. Stir, and serve

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cXwOIPt9ZQM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cXwOIPt9ZQM</a>
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:17:35 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 02:21:35 AM »
46 – Ovaltine

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Shodan

Ovaltine is a brand of milk flavoring product made with malt extract (except the blue packaging in the US), sugar (except in Switzerland),cocoa, and whey. Ovaltine, a registered trademark of Associated British Foods, is made by Wander AG, a subsidiary of Twinings which acquired the brand from Novartis in 2003, except in the United States, where Nestlé acquired the rights separately from Novartis later on.

Ovaltine was developed in Berne, Switzerland, where it is known by its original name, Ovomaltine (from ovum, Latin for "egg", and malt, originally its main ingredients). Soon after invention the factory moved out to the village of Neuenegg a few kilometres west of Berne, where it is still produced.

Ovomaltine was exported to Britain in 1909; it was a misspelling in the trademark registration that led to the name being shortened to Ovaltine in English-speaking markets. A factory was built in Kings Langley which exported to the United States as well. By 1915 Ovaltine was being manufactured in Villa Park, Illinois, for the US market. Originally advertised as consisting solely of "malt, milk, eggs, flavored with cocoa", the formulation has changed over the decades, and today several formulations are sold in different parts of the world. In the US, after purchasing the US rights, Nestlé changed the formulation bringing its flavor profile very close to that of another Nestlé chocolate milk flavoring product, Nesquik.

The popular chocolate malt version is a powder which is mixed with hot or cold milk as a beverage. Malt Ovaltine (a version without cocoa) and Rich Chocolate Ovaltine (a version without malt) are also available in some markets. Ovaltine has also been available in the form of chocolate bars, chocolate Easter eggs, parfait, cookies, and breakfast cereals, where it is only the brand name that connects the cereals with the chocolate drink.

Ovaltine also manufactured PDQ Chocolate Flavor Beads, PDQ Choco Chips and Egg Nog Flavored PDQ, which are no longer available. These drink mixes were very popular from the 1960s to the 1980s. Ovaltine discontinued the PDQ products about 1995 or 1996.

The US children's radio series Little Orphan Annie (1931–1940) and Captain Midnight (1938–1949), and the subsequent Captain Midnight TV series (1954–1956), were sponsored by Ovaltine. They had promotions in which listeners could save proofs-of-purchase from Ovaltine jars to obtain radio premiums, like "secret decoder ring" badges or pins that could be used to decode messages in the program. Kids from the time may remember that "Ovaltine" is an anagram for "Vital One". Villa Park, Illinois, was home to the Ovaltine factory until the company's purchase and withdrawal in 1988. The Villa Park Historical Society maintains a permanent exhibit of Ovaltine advertising and memorabilia. The old factory was converted to loft apartments keeping the original floors and wall exposed.

A radio program aimed at five- to fourteen-year-olds, The League of Ovaltineys, was broadcast to Great Britain by Radio Luxembourg on Sunday evenings at 5:30 PM. Beginning in 1934, it was broadcast until 1940 and the German occupation of Luxembourg and again after World War II ended into the 1950s. Like the US programme, listeners could obtain badges, pins, and secret codes. The Ovaltineys' advertising jingle was regarded as one of the most successful jingles of the era.

Drink-Based Recipe – Ovaltine Brownies

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
1/2 cup flour
1 and 1/3 cup rich chocolate ovaltine
1/4 tsp baking powder

Mix sugar, eggs and vanilla. Cream with butter. Add dry ingredients until well blended. Grease pan (8x11) and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes approximately. They have a yummy crusty top and sides, while the middle is squishy, chocolately goodness. I like to cut two, put ice cream in the middle and freeze for a short while.

They tend to get a little chewy around the edges while the middle is still soft, so the recipe isn't perfect, but still yummy.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/x5SR0PkZxzw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/x5SR0PkZxzw</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 02:23:23 AM »

46 – Lapsang Souchong Tea

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Tripe Hound Redux

Lapsang souchong (Chinese: 拉普山小種/正山小种,; pinyin: lāpǔshān xiǎozhǒng; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: l a̍p-pho•-san sió-chéng; literally "Small plant from Lapu mountain"; cantonese: làaipóusàan síujúng) is a black tea (Camellia sinensis) originally from the Wuyi region of theChinese province of Fujian. It is sometimes referred to as smoked tea (熏茶). Lapsang is distinct from all other types of tea because lapsang leaves are traditionally smoke-dried over pinewood fires, taking on a distinctive smoky flavour.

The name in Minnan means "smoky sub-variety." Lapsang souchong is a member of the Wuyi Bohea family of teas. The story goes that the tea was created during the Qing era when the passage of armies delayed the annual drying of the tea leaves in the Wuyi hills. Eager to satisfy demand, the tea producers sped up the drying process by having their workers dry the tea leaves over fires made from local pines.

Lapsang souchong from the original source is increasingly expensive, as Wuyi is a small area and there is increasing interest in this variety of tea.

Drink Recipe – Lapsang souchong With Chocolate Sauce

1.   2 cups heavy cream
2.   1 tablespoon Lapsang souchong tea leaves
3.   3/4 pound bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
4.   Salt
1.   Scald the cream in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the tea. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Strain the cream through a fine sieve set over a clean saucepan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate and a pinch of salt. Whisk until the chocolate is smooth. Let cool slightly. The sauce should be thick but somewhat pourable.
MAKE AHEAD The sauce can be stored overnight at room temperature.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UmgY5jijXOs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UmgY5jijXOs</a>

MontyServo

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 02:45:11 AM »
46 – Buttermilk
25 points    
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Monty

I sort of figured that I would be the only person to list Buttermilk.  It is certainly an acquired taste.  I don't drink it that often, but I still consider it the best.  I usually will add a pinch of seasoning to it for an added kick.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 02:53:24 AM »

25 points
1 of 16 lists

hmmm i probably meant this when i said cherry dr pepper on my list or is there a just cherry dr pepper?  who knows anyways i like this variation of dr pepper as well.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 05:09:46 AM »
46 – Lapsang Souchong Tea

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Tripe Hound Redux

Lapsang souchong (Chinese: 拉普山小種/正山小种,; pinyin: lāpǔshān xiǎozhǒng; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: l a̍p-pho•-san sió-chéng; literally "Small plant from Lapu mountain"; cantonese: làaipóusàan síujúng) is a black tea (Camellia sinensis) originally from the Wuyi region of theChinese province of Fujian. It is sometimes referred to as smoked tea (熏茶). Lapsang is distinct from all other types of tea because lapsang leaves are traditionally smoke-dried over pinewood fires, taking on a distinctive smoky flavour.
And the best stuff uses pine needles as the fuel for the drying fire. I love the flavour of smoke. One of my favourite breakfasts is slightly burnt toast and honey with Lapsang tea (which I put milk in, because it's tea ;))

It's also the best tea for tasseomancy, because the smoky aroma adds to the drama of the thing. :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:12:37 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1175
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »
Its like 20-30 bucks.  I drink it straight up, has a very vanilla type of flavor but not over powering. 

I just bought some for $28. You're right, it is very vanilla-y, and pretty darn good. But Barcardi, while nowhere near as good, is less than half as expensive.

So far nothing from my list has shown up. I expect we'll see several of them near the top though.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »
Its like 20-30 bucks.  I drink it straight up, has a very vanilla type of flavor but not over powering. 

I just bought some for $28. You're right, it is very vanilla-y, and pretty darn good. But Barcardi, while nowhere near as good, is less than half as expensive.

So far nothing from my list has shown up. I expect we'll see several of them near the top though.

True but i prefer the spiced rum anyways.  If your gonna mix stuff i just would buy regular capt :) 

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »

25 points
1 of 16 lists

hmmm i probably meant this when i said cherry dr pepper on my list or is there a just cherry dr pepper?  who knows anyways i like this variation of dr pepper as well.

I'm pretty confident that there is cherry Dr. Pepper, even if it's in an unofficial capacity.  THAT'S why you got to do your research!
There's only one small tie left.  Tomorrow I'l post 45-41 and then 10 per day.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »
Dr pepper has a ton of flavors i am pretty damn sure they have both cherry and cherry vanilla.  

Ps jonny i am gonna have to try that alcoholic version seems good.  I might have to plan a bender with this list next weekend :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3886
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
Yeah. I love Cherry Dr. Pepper and have a fridge stocked with it right now. Cherry Vanilla is no longer available in our area, and the taste of vanilla really added to the experience. I miss it.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »
46 – Corona

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Anais.La.Conejita

Okay, I understand your list was greatly influenced by your lengthy stay south of the border, but really? THIS is your favorite out of that experience?!?

It's a marginally-alcoholic, thirst quencher at best. If this is really your favorite beverage, then I back off my comment, but, is this this truly your favorite beverage?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »
46 – Ovaltine

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Shodan

Nestle Quik was never allowed in house growing up. We got Ovaltine instead. Was it even healthier? I don't know. All I know is when I went to friends' houses, we slammed some Quik and when my friends came to my house, they were presented with a nice glass of Ovaltine, to which they replied in little-kid speak: "What the fuck is this shit?!?" It was embarrassing. And I don't even know how much sugar is in Ovaltine compared to Quik. I assume Quik is higher, but I don't know. Frankly, I don't wanna know at this point.

I did eventually grow to genuinely like it. But I won't lie, when I got Quik at my friends' houses, it was like smoking meth compared to gobbling cross-tops.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »
46 – Bacon-Infused Bourbon

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Cole Stratton

This is a thing I've never heard of before. This is also too much work to do on my own, but I would like to try it. Next time I'm in a bar, I'll order this, and when the bartender balks, I'll fly into a rage that will either get me a free drink or get my ass kicked in a back alley. I prefer the former.