Author Topic: LoC: Top 65 Beverages  (Read 39241 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: LoC: Top 65 Beverages
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
47 – Tequila
24 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Anais.La.Conejita

This was the first hard alcohol I ever drank in any significant amount. Significant as in downing a fifth with two other kids. Tried to ride my bike home. Crashed probably ten times. Once I got home, I fell down and broke a lamp, waking my mom and sister. My horrified mom dragged me into the shower with my clothes still on where I proceeded to vomit. Good times. I can't believe I can even remember one minute of this experience but I can.

Anyway, I wasn't able to even smell tequila for years without getting nauseous, but starting drinking a lot of margaritas in college, and even got to the point where I could do shots. Although there was always that feeling I was gonna wretch after doing a shot. I stopped drinking the stuff years ago.

What is this? My Life With Booze? The Booze Chronicles?!?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
i would read the booze chronicles lol

there was always that feeling I was gonna wretch after doing a shot

That's with most hard liquor shots.  I now realize that this stuff is not made to shoot.  If you are gonna drink it straight, sip. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »
47 – Tequila
24 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Anais.La.Conejita

This was the first hard alcohol I ever drank in any significant amount. Significant as in downing a fifth with two other kids. Tried to ride my bike home. Crashed probably ten times. Once I got home, I fell down and broke a lamp, waking my mom and sister. My horrified mom dragged me into the shower with my clothes still on where I proceeded to vomit. Good times. I can't believe I can even remember one minute of this experience but I can.

Anyway, I wasn't able to even smell tequila for years without getting nauseous, but starting drinking a lot of margaritas in college, and even got to the point where I could do shots. Although there was always that feeling I was gonna wretch after doing a shot. I stopped drinking the stuff years ago.

It's like the progeny of a drunken tryst between Normal Rockwell and Charles Bukowski.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
They can not have progeny :) 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
Which is where part of the joke lies....

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 11:22:03 AM »
i would read the booze chronicles lol

there was always that feeling I was gonna wretch after doing a shot

That's with most hard liquor shots.  I now realize that this stuff is not made to shoot.  If you are gonna drink it straight, sip. 

To a certain extent, yes. Although, at least for me, there's just something about the smell and taste of tequila that makes it rise to the top of the vomit-inducing potential scale. It's quite possible that initial bad experience traumatized my senses.

It's like the progeny of a drunken tryst between Normal Rockwell and Charles Bukowski.

:D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 11:25:22 AM »

"Wh-what do you sssay to anosser coplashot eh?"

"I like yerthinking off officerr"

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
47 – Surly Darkness

This massive Russian Imperial Stout brings waves of flavors; chocolate, cherries, raisins, coffee, and toffee.

Jesus. Is this a beer or a fucking Whitman's Sampler?!?

Seriously though, I'd like to try this.

:D again, Tripe!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5634
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »

"Wh-what do you sssay to anosser coplashot eh?"

"I like yerthinking off officerr"

For some reason, the guy in the centre is close to my mental approximation of what Bukowski looked like.  Checking out actual pictures of Charles, he kind of looks like if Rondo Hatton and Werner Hertzog had a baby and he grew up and played the Wolfman.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
47 – Gentleman Jack

24 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 D.B. Barnes

Okay, I know this isn't super high-end stuff, but damn it's good. I'm pretty much whiskey's jail bitch and Jack Daniels has always been my weapon of choice. It has sort of a macabre appeal to it. I mean, how many photos of dead rock stars have you seen with them clutching a bottle of JD? There was a period during which I exclusively drank Jack & Coke, nothing else. Well, nothing else alcoholic anyway. I first sprung for the Gentleman Jack because I wanted a sipping whiskey and figured it would be smoother. It did not disappoint.

I'll now share with you my super-secret cocktail recipe:

Two fingers of Gentleman Jack in a lowball
Repeat

The Gentleman Jack brand was introduced to strengthen the company's share among consumers, who were drinking less liquor overall but had moved to more upscale brands...

Well, I fit one of those demographic traits.

MontyServo

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
47 – Tomato Juice
24 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Monty

What?  No love for Tomato Juice?

I usually put a dash of hot sauce in mine.  And sometimes I will mix it with some cheap beer and hot sauce.  Good stuff.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 01:38:23 AM »
47 – Tomato Juice
24 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #2 Monty

What?  No love for Tomato Juice?

I usually put a dash of hot sauce in mine.  And sometimes I will mix it with some cheap beer and hot sauce.  Good stuff.

I kinda like tomato juice, but it just never seems to present itself on its own. Of course, I don't exactly search it out.

However, combine that shit with vodka, some other shit, and a big-ass shrimp, I'm absolutely on board!

Cheers!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2011, 02:11:58 AM »
46 – Corona

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Anais.La.Conejita

Corona Extra, better known as Corona and labeled as Coronita in Spain, is a brand of pale lager owned and produced by Cerveceria Modelo at a number of breweries in Mexico. It is one of the best-selling beers in Mexico and is one of the top-selling beers worldwide. Corona beer is available in over 170 countries.

In the United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom, Corona is commonly served with a wedge of citrus fruit, usually lime or sometimes lemon, inserted into the neck of the bottle, adding tartness and flavor.

In the United States, Corona Extra is the top selling imported beer.

Drink Recipe – Cherry Corona

1/2 oz maraschino cherry juice
12 oz Corona® Extra lager

Pour the maraschino cherry juice into a bottle of Corona Extra lager, shake gently before drinking.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XToHkp3mVZ8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XToHkp3mVZ8</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »

46 – Bacon-Infused Bourbon

25 points
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Cole Stratton

From Summitsips.com:

Every once in a while something that sounds crazy in a cocktail actually works, if you are open to the idea. One such concept is Bacon Infused Bourbon. It’s seems ridiculous at first, but when you consider sweet caramel and maple syrup flavors sometimes characterize a good bourbon, you start to think about breakfast and how a side of bacon tastes so good next to your pancakes! Does it still sound silly? Well, maybe if I break it down a bit, it will make a little more sense. What we are talking about is neither sweet nor sour, not salty or bitter—it’s the fifth fundamental flavor that the Japanese call umami.

Umami, or savoriness, is considered by eastern cultures as an important component of taste in their cuisine. It is the flavor produced by amino acids such as glutamate that we normally associate with beef, mushrooms or that “rich” character found in stews and some fermented foods. Although it isn’t often discussed in regular western culture, umami is widely recognized as a flavor descriptor in the culinary world. Naturally, ideas born in the kitchen can be carried over to the bar, and that’s what we are doing here.

In addition to capturing rich meaty flavors, the smokiness that typifies cured bacon is equally important in our infusion. That is why I recommend finding an extremely smokey bacon to start out. You can pick any bacon that you like, but the stronger the flavors the better. Benton’s Smoked Country Bacon is supposed to be very good for this. I used a delicious smoke house bacon I found at our local farmers market. It’s a thick-cut, organic product that is absolutely wonderful as a breakfast side, in an egg casserole or sprinkled over fresh salad greens. Whatever you use, plan to eat a good, healthy portion of bacon, because all we need is the fat!

That’s right, the process of infusing umami into bourbon is called fat-washing. The idea is simple. Cook your bacon as you normally would and reserve the rendered fat. You need about a third of a cup of fat for the process. Place it into a jar while it’s still hot, and fill the jar with bourbon. Let it cool, then freeze it for 24 hours. Filter it and you are done. It’s that simple.

Drink Recipe – Bacon-Infused Old-Fashioned

INGREDIENTS
12 strips bacon (enough to render 3-4 oz of fat)
26 oz bottle bourbon

DIRECTIONS

Fry bacon in frying pan, then pour off bacon fat into 2-litre empty bucket. Pour in entire bottle of bourbon; set bottle aside. Stir mixture, then allow to sit at room temperature for six hours. Place bucket in freezer for about two hours so that fats can separate from alcohol and become solid.
Remove fatty solids from top of mixture; this is the first filtration. Strain through coffee filter into empty bourbon bottle, using a funnel. Makes 12 2-oz drinks.

Splatt says that a "slightly unctuous mouthfeel" is desirable, but warns that you can have too much of a good thing. She suggests a third filtration, through a Brita filter (it's not just for water), if you find the fat too noticeable.
For the drink:
1/2 oz maple syrup
dash or two (to taste) of bitters
2 oz bacon-infused bourbon
1 orange twist to garnish

Place syrup and bitters in Old Fashioned glass. Add ice if desired. Add bourbon and garnish with twist. Makes 1 drink.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jkBoXXyEhLs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jkBoXXyEhLs</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 02:16:04 AM »
46 – Buttermilk

25 points    
1 of 16 lists
Top Vote: #1 Monty

Buttermilk refers to a number of dairy drinks. Originally, buttermilk was the liquid left behind after churning butter out of cream. It also refers to a range of fermented milk drinks, common in warm climates (e.g., Middle East, Pakistan, India, or the Southern United States) where fresh milk would otherwise sour quickly. It is also popular in Scandinavia and the Netherlands, despite the colder climates.

Buttermilk may also refer to a fermented dairy product produced from cow's milk with a characteristically sour taste caused by lactic acid bacteria. This variant is made in one of two ways: cultured buttermilk is made by adding lactic acid bacteria (Streptococcus lactis) to milk;Bulgarian buttermilk is created with a different strain of bacteria called Lactobacillus bulgaricus, which creates more tartness.

Whether traditional or cultured, the tartness of buttermilk is due to the presence of acid in the milk. The increased acidity is primarily due to lactic acid, a byproduct naturally produced by lactic acid bacteria while fermenting lactose, the primary sugar found in milk. As lactic acid is produced by the bacteria, the pH of the milk decreases and casein, the primary protein in milk, precipitates causing the curdling or clabbering of milk. This process makes buttermilk thicker than plain milk. While both traditional and cultured buttermilk contain lactic acid, traditional buttermilk tends to be less viscous whereas cultured buttermilk is more viscous.

Originally, buttermilk was the liquid left over from churning butter from cream. Traditionally, before cream could be skimmed from whole milk, it was left to sit for a period of time to allow the cream and milk to separate. During this time, the milk would be fermented by the naturally occurring lactic acid-producing bacteria in the milk. This facilitates the butter churning process since fat from cream with a lower pH will coalesce more readily than that from fresh cream. The acidic environment also helps prevent potentially harmful microorganisms from growing, increasing shelf-life. However, in establishments that used cream separators, the cream would hardly be acidic at all.

In the Indian subcontinent, buttermilk is taken to be the liquid left over after extracting butter from churned yogurt (dahi). Today, this is called traditional buttermilk. Traditional buttermilk is still common in many Indo-Pakistani households but rarely found in western countries. In Southern India and most areas of the Punjab, buttermilk with added water, sugar and/or salt, asafoetida, and curry leaves is given at stalls in festival times.

Commercially available cultured buttermilk is pasteurized and homogenized (if 1% or 2% fat) milk which has been inoculated with a culture of lactic acid bacteria to simulate the naturally occurring bacteria found in the old-fashioned product. Some dairies add colored flecks of butter to cultured buttermilk to simulate the residual pieces of butter that can be left over from the churning process of traditional buttermilk.

Condensed buttermilk and Dried buttermilk have increased in importance in the food industry. Such solids are used in ice cream manufacture. Adding specific strains of bacteria to pasteurized milk allows more consistent production.

In the early 1900s, cultured buttermilk was labeled artificial buttermilk, to differentiate it from traditional buttermilk, which was known as natural or ordinary buttermilk.

Acidified buttermilk is a related product that is made by adding a food-grade acid (such as lemon juice) to milk.

Drink-Based Recipe – Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe

INGREDIENTS
•   1 (3 pound) fryer (see Wikipedia on the difference between broilers, fryers, and roasting birds), cut into pieces
•   2 cups buttermilk
•   1 large onion, sliced
•   1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, thyme) or a teaspoon each of the dried herbs.
•   1/2 teaspoon paprika
•   1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
•   2 cups flour
•   1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
•   1/2 teaspoon onion salt
•   1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
•   Salt and pepper
•   2 cups grapeseed oil, or other high smoke-point oil such as canola oil, or peanut oil
METHOD

1 Soak chicken overnight (at least 8 hours and up to two days) in buttermilk with onions, herbs, paprika, and cayenne pepper. (Regarding the use of buttermilk, my mother has had good results from soaking chicken in plain yogurt instead of buttermilk.)

2 Drain in colander, leaving some herbs on chicken. In a large paper or plastic (sturdy) bag, mix flour with seasonings. Meanwhile, heat 2 cups oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet (cast iron, stainless steel, or anodized aluminum - something that can take the heat) on medium high heat until a pinch of flour starts to sizzle when dropped in the hot oil (but not so hot that the pan is smoking). Remember when working with hot oil, always have a pan lid close by.

3 Place chicken pieces in bag with flour and shake until thoroughly coated. Add chicken to hot pan and fry on 1 side for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown, and then use tongs to turn the pieces over and fry for another 10-12 minutes, again until golden brown.
Be careful to keep the oil hot enough to fry the chicken, but not so high as it burns the chicken. To do this on our electric stove we have to alternate the settings between high to medium high several times while we are cooking.

4 Use tongs to remove chicken from pan. Place on a rack over a cookie sheet or broiling pan for the excess oil to drain. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

BONUS BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uxEhH6MPH28" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uxEhH6MPH28</a>