login

Author Topic: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!  (Read 275557 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5549
Re: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!
« Reply #1305 on: April 13, 2016, 04:22:38 PM »
They may do that.  Heard they were going with seasonal anthologies.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5010
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1306 on: April 13, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
They may do that.  Heard they were going with seasonal anthologies.
Hmm.. That could be interesting.. Or confusing :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1307 on: April 27, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
So I've decided to go through all 7 seasons of Voyager :speechless:
1 season a week (already halfway through Season 1) and by the time I finish, I'll be headed to Mexico in mid-June, and because I'm going through a 30 day eviction with my psycho ex-friend living next door in my Mega-Shed so I need something to get my mind off that every day till he's gone for good.
I've re-watched TNG and DS9 enough that it's starting to wear on me so time to torture myself with some Voyager :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1309 on: May 06, 2016, 08:09:54 AM »
So I've decided to go through all 7 seasons of Voyager :speechless:
1 season a week (already halfway through Season 1) and by the time I finish, I'll be headed to Mexico in mid-June, and because I'm going through a 30 day eviction with my psycho ex-friend living next door in my Mega-Shed so I need something to get my mind off that every day till he's gone for good.
I've re-watched TNG and DS9 enough that it's starting to wear on me so time to torture myself with some Voyager :-[
So I'm about to wrap up Season 2 and here's my take on the series so far..
Season 1 was just painful to watch.. No decent episodes worth mentioning that I can recall :-[
Season 2 had a couple episodes that got my attention because of the actors;
'Meld' with Brad Dourif who also played The Mentat Piter De Vries in DUNE
"Death Wish" with the 'Q' starring Gerrit Graham who also starred in 'Naked Space' (also called 'Spaceship' and 'The Creature Wasn't Nice') with Leslie Nielson and Cindy Williams who played Shirley in 'Laverne and Shirley' (Funny low-budget movie from 1983)..
Other than that, the series just seems to be spinning it's wheels.  :-\
Plenty of iRiff material for QuipTracks and Ice on Mars to riff on for a long time to come :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3100
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1310 on: May 06, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »
That sounds about right, when randomly browsing Netflix I don't think I ever re-watch any season 1 episodes, and only a few from season 2.   I'd like to say they get better, but really, the last 3 seasons are probably the best but even those only have maybe a half dozen episodes each that are worth re-watching.

What did you think of "The 37's"?  Everyone seems to hate it but that is probably the earliest one I enjoy, that is after you ignore the stupid opening with the truck.  I thought Sharon Lawrence was pretty good in the episode.

Season 2 must have the most egregious science errors in all of Trek.  The truck might have been perfectly preserved in the vacuum of space, but it's doubtful the gasoline would have remained usable, and then the radio working inside the cargo bay, so the hull of voyager just lets any old radio frequencies through?  Then there is the episode Threshold, that is a mess on every single level, acting is terrible, the plot is a joke, and the science is so wrong you could say it's harmful with stupid writers making up their own wrong ideas on how evolution works.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1311 on: May 06, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »
That sounds about right, when randomly browsing Netflix I don't think I ever re-watch any season 1 episodes, and only a few from season 2.   I'd like to say they get better, but really, the last 3 seasons are probably the best but even those only have maybe a half dozen episodes each that are worth re-watching.

What did you think of "The 37's"?  Everyone seems to hate it but that is probably the earliest one I enjoy, that is after you ignore the stupid opening with the truck.  I thought Sharon Lawrence was pretty good in the episode.

Season 2 must have the most egregious science errors in all of Trek.  The truck might have been perfectly preserved in the vacuum of space, but it's doubtful the gasoline would have remained usable, and then the radio working inside the cargo bay, so the hull of voyager just lets any old radio frequencies through?  Then there is the episode Threshold, that is a mess on every single level, acting is terrible, the plot is a joke, and the science is so wrong you could say it's harmful with stupid writers making up their own wrong ideas on how evolution works.
The 37's I was just annoyed with altogether; the whole plot threw me off, the science part of it like you mentioned, and even David Graf (RIP) character was a bit over done I thought :-\
Also, the episode 'Investigations' was actually pretty decent :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1312 on: May 06, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »
The 37's I was just annoyed with altogether; the whole plot threw me off

The plot was pretty straightforward, aliens grab humans and use them for slave labor, humans drive aliens away and build a nice civilization, voyager crew has to decide if they want to spend the rest of their lives with them or keep trying to get home.   

The aliens never coming back is kind of stupid, but then of course there's no story if the humans were wiped out ages ago...

I guess I forgive all the bad parts because I like the interactions between Sharon Lawrence and the crew.  And it's the first time we see a Federation starship land.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1313 on: May 06, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »
 Had to look up Investigations, I forgot about that one, it is one of the better ones from season 2.

Ah the railing kill, what would science fiction be without it?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1314 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »

The plot was pretty straightforward, aliens grab humans and use them for slave labor, humans drive aliens away and build a nice civilization, voyager crew has to decide if they want to spend the rest of their lives with them or keep trying to get home.   

The aliens never coming back is kind of stupid, but then of course there's no story if the humans were wiped out ages ago...

I guess I forgive all the bad parts because I like the interactions between Sharon Lawrence and the crew.  And it's the first time we see a Federation starship land.
Well yeah I can see that.. I guess the aliens part like you said, and how did the offspring even start up if they were still bottled up in stasis tubes ??? Were they cloned?
I dunno.. The episode just didn't sit right with me :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1315 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »
Had to look up Investigations, I forgot about that one, it is one of the better ones from season 2.

Ah the railing kill, what would science fiction be without it?
Yeah who didn't see that coming :D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1316 on: May 06, 2016, 12:34:10 PM »

Well yeah I can see that.. I guess the aliens part like you said, and how did the offspring even start up if they were still bottled up in stasis tubes ??? Were they cloned?
I dunno.. The episode just didn't sit right with me :-\

Hard to have a slave labor camp do any work if they were all in stasis....

There was no explanation given why those few were still in stasis, or why the aliens would bother dragging a truck and a plane all the way across the galaxy.   It was also kind of stupid that the human civilization had advanced pretty far and seemed to have fairly advanced technology but still thought those people in stasis tubes were dead bodies?  I could see having a heck of a time deciding when to revive them, the longer you wait the harder it gets, so after a few centuries it would be pretty much impossible for someone to say "let's wake them up today!".   It would have been a bit of comic relief to have them thanking Voyager for waking them up, putting an end to decades of arguments over when they should do it.   So much of the writing on Voyager was just way too lazy and not thought out fully.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1317 on: May 06, 2016, 01:12:28 PM »
   So much of the writing on Voyager was just way too lazy and not thought out fully.
THIS! Agreed 100%

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1318 on: May 06, 2016, 01:40:48 PM »
   So much of the writing on Voyager was just way too lazy and not thought out fully.
THIS! Agreed 100%

I doubt it's a coincidence that once DS9 ended Voyager got better.  A lot of people were working on both shows when Voyager started.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1319 on: May 06, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »
THIS! Agreed 100%

I doubt it's a coincidence that once DS9 ended Voyager got better.  A lot of people were working on both shows when Voyager started.
Yeah I'm sure there was some serious 'writer's block' happening during this