Author Topic: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!  (Read 275164 times)

Soguru

Re: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »
I guess I'm saying I find the characters kind of flat and uninteresting, due perhaps to portrayal, or perhaps to writing.  Sisko seems really erratic and overemotional to me, with huge mood swings, and frankly Kira just seems like a pill.
I think she's basically a war orphan. I also think(and I know this is going to seem like a bit of a reach) she's kind of the embodiment of the question "What if Anne Frank survived?". Obviously, this is a totally different context but I think you get the idea. I know people have different life experiences that cause them to act and behave a certain way that we may find somewhat distasteful, so I'm always willing to at least try and overlook potential personality flaws and quirks. My theory is that it's just cultural differences.

Soguru

« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
Possibly. I also find her religiousness infuriating.
That, I can understand. But as long as somebody doesn't try to make me worship the Prophets/Wormhole Aliens, they may do as they like, just as long as their beliefs don't infringe on the rights of others. :)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
I tried a few more of the Mission Log Roddenberry podcasts last night, the ones for movies II ,III ,IV.

A few bits of trivia I didn't know, like they were originally going to make IV a full out comedy with Eddie Murphy instead of Catherine Hicks.

But these podcasts are still too long winded, I know that's what they are going for, "in depth analysis", but they go a little too far pulling meaning out of thin air sometimes. 

The other thing that started really annoying me was the attempt at pretending that they are doing these when the movies came out.  Refusing to talk about stuff that they know is going to happen in later movies or series is really stupid.  Every time they say "spoiler alert" and then pretend they don't know what's coming makes me want to punch them.  They talk about how special effects have improved and how the movies hold up over time, so what is the obsession with spoilers?  How many people go to Roddenberry .com that haven't seen most of Star Trek?

I might listen to the one for Star Trek V, just to see how they deal with a bad movie.  Or just skip it and go back to Treknologic, they have way more fun on that podcast.  Loved their podcast for the Enterprise finale, they had the proper reaction that everyone should have to that episode, pure anger and rage.  It just fails in every possible way.  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
Will have to look for the treknologic podcasts.

http://www.treknologic.com/

They skip around all the series and movies randomly.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »
In case no one has read about it yet, the 11 foot filming model of the original Enterprise has been moved out of the gift shop and is being evaluated for some kind of restoration before being put on display in the "milestones of flight" exhibit:

http://blog.nasm.si.edu/behind-the-scenes/moving-the-star-trek-starship-enterprise-studio-model/

Interview with the woman in charge of the model:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/09/exclusive-interview-enterprise-model-curator-smithsonians-national-air-and-space-museum/

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
As long as it gets taken care of, that what matters.  That model is priceless.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »
In case no one has read about it yet, the 11 foot filming model of the original Enterprise has been moved out of the gift shop and is being evaluated for some kind of restoration before being put on display in the "milestones of flight" exhibit:

http://blog.nasm.si.edu/behind-the-scenes/moving-the-star-trek-starship-enterprise-studio-model/

Interview with the woman in charge of the model:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/09/exclusive-interview-enterprise-model-curator-smithsonians-national-air-and-space-museum/

I really hope they fix the "restoration" that the other asshole did to it when they moved it into the gift shop.  That paintjob is atrocious.

The interview with the woman from The Smithsonian didn't really commit to anything, but she did say they would be using scientific techniques to analyze the paint.  From all accounts the top of the saucer section around the name and number are original paint from the time it was in the studio, so if they are doing a historical restoration I would hope they analyze that area and match the rest of the thing to that.  Unfortunately almost all the other areas were sanded down to the wood and redone in that horrendous restoration in 91, so the question is how do they deal with that?  Do they have the budget to redo those areas?  Even if they do they might be afraid of doing more damage if they have to work on it that much.  So we can hope the paint will be restored to the look it should have, but there could be reasons we might get suck with some of the bad stuff done in 91.

It's supposed to be in the shop for 18 months, so they certainly have time to do it right.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5002
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #292 on: October 16, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »
Going through my DS9 episodes and somehow I got the episodes 'Past Tense Part 1 & 2' on both Season 2 and Season 3 disc and folders..  ???
Not sure how the hell this happened, but since I resurrected my old Netflix account for a short time, I'm getting this Season 2 Disc 3 again to get the proper episodes; 'Rivals' and 'The Alternate' then my collection will be complete 8)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #293 on: October 16, 2014, 06:39:42 PM »
I like "Rivals", its a good Quark episode.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2014, 06:52:04 AM »
I like "Rivals", its a good Quark episode.

Lousy Prince Humperdink....

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2014, 06:59:09 AM »
Yeah, that bastard screwing with the laws of probability.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
Yeah, man! Listen if you are a Star Trek fan, you must at least try the Star Trek Online game. (Free with in app purchases)..  It is actually pretty fun. I mean, I never bought any thing but I had a good time running my crew of half naked men, all oiled up.  This was a problem that Starfleet had with me, but I saved the galaxy a few times so they let me slide.... A bit. I was written up a coupla times.

It's a very fun game for a Trek Fan....
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Online RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »
I had some fun with the game, but it kinda got old after awhile since I was dedicated to not buying anything.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »
I mean, obviously, if you are not a homo or radical, like myself, you don't need to, you know, have that kind of dress code.... but you can... if you want too... I never played Romulans or Kilingons, I likes me some soft federation boys... but... you know, you can do that if you want.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »
I had some fun with the game, but it kinda got old after awhile since I was dedicated to not buying anything.
Yes. I agree, but, I think they made a fairly playable game for trekkers, even if you never want to buy stuff.... Although I was tempted many times!!!!  I am a Star Trek geek from hell.... it was real hard!

This is real stupid, but I really loved sitting in Earth Space Dock, dancing with pretty boys and answering obscure, bizarre Star Trek Trivia questions.... I'm pathetic....