login

Author Topic: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!  (Read 275077 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!
« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2014, 11:55:50 AM »
Watched a bunch of DS9 to see if half the characters still get on my nerves, and yes, they still do.
Actually I think Kira gets on my nerves more now.

Soguru

« Reply #271 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:20 AM »
I liked O'Brien, Garak, and Quark the best on that show I think.  And Worf is all right when he shows up.
Gotta love Damar and Dukat to some extent. I also always liked General Martok. I don't find anyone on Ds9 to be annoying at all. I guess it's because generally speaking I see nothing but how I relate to the main characters. I Love Sisko, Dax, Bashir, Odo, etc.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2014, 06:11:56 AM »
Archer incompetent?  I don't get that at all.

I think people can't adjust their ideas of how the crew should be acting to the time period the show is in, so they just say it was bad.  It was literally "where no human has gone before", and that was a fault early on, too many "firsts" so there was a bit of repetitiveness.
Archer made even the batshit insane Janeway look better.  Janeway was nuts.  Archer was flat out incompetent.

Archer never stranded his crew on the other side of the galaxy.  I know that was the point of the show, but they made Janeway look way more incompetent than Archer for that.

A rookie captain making a mistake (and don't get me wrong, even after getting the crew stranded, Janeway made a lot more mistakes) in my view doesn't top a Captain that lets his dog piss on a cultural treasure of an easily offended alien species, and then can't figure out why the aliens are mad.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:11 AM »
Granted, I wouldnt have taken my dog on a fist contact mission, but they if I recall they asked permission, there was a statement about making sure there were no alien pathogens that could harm him.  The aliens never told him to stay away from their tree.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5002
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »
Granted, I wouldnt have taken my dog on a fist contact mission
Oh myyy.. :o

Soguru

« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
That reminds me to remind everybody to subscribe to Fist Contact on Youtube. No, I'm serious, there really is a producer named fistcontact on youtube and he makes really damn funny Star Trek videos.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2014, 09:16:53 AM »
Archer incompetent?  I don't get that at all.

I think people can't adjust their ideas of how the crew should be acting to the time period the show is in, so they just say it was bad.  It was literally "where no human has gone before", and that was a fault early on, too many "firsts" so there was a bit of repetitiveness.
Archer made even the batshit insane Janeway look better.  Janeway was nuts.  Archer was flat out incompetent.

Archer never stranded his crew on the other side of the galaxy.  I know that was the point of the show, but they made Janeway look way more incompetent than Archer for that.

A rookie captain making a mistake (and don't get me wrong, even after getting the crew stranded, Janeway made a lot more mistakes) in my view doesn't top a Captain that lets his dog piss on a cultural treasure of an easily offended alien species, and then can't figure out why the aliens are mad.

Where does the captain that let a young ensign beam down to a planet and play ball without finding out that the local laws impose the death penalty for an infraction as small as stepping on a flower rank on this scale?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
That reminds me to remind everybody to subscribe to Fist Contact on Youtube. No, I'm serious, there really is a producer named fistcontact on youtube and he makes really damn funny Star Trek videos.
Found the link.. :D :D
https://www.youtube.com/user/fistcontact/videos

Soguru

« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »
As for the mains, I don't think Sisko or Dax could act very well. Sisko shouts, Dax just purses her lips and huffs.  Bashir is OK; his best stuff was with the "brain trust" kids. Odo was given ridiculous storylines that were really sad and cliched; I suspect the actor was capable of a lot more, but was hamstrung by the make up and the stupid gruff voice.
That's fine, but when I see these characters, I see people that I actually care about and feel for. I guess in the end that's the most important thing. I mean if we can't relate/identify with them, it doesn't really matter how good the actor/actress is who portrays the character.

If Sisko does have any flaws(whether it's due to the writing or Avery Brooks), I can forgive a lot for Sisko because he is just so bad-ass and yet he's capable of balancing that with being a good father figure. He's got his moments where he's soft-spoken too and even when he is he can be scary. I think he's a very well-balanced character.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2014, 11:45:01 PM »
Pretty funny how people see characters differently, I've never once thought of Sisko as "bad-ass" in any way...

Interesting writeup on The Digital Bits about how fans could convince CBS to remaster DS9:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/091014_1215

Basically, buy the other series that are on Blu-Ray now.

Interesting that it will take more money to do DS9 because by the end of that series they were using more and more CGI, with no film to scan all those big space battles will have to be redone from scratch.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #280 on: September 16, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Kira just seems like a pill.
I went back to season 1 and watched a few episodes, and the one episode 'The Game' where Sisko, Dax, Bashir, and Kira were trapped in the game and Kira had enough and threw down the tray of fake food and everyone was laughing at her..
I LOL'd at this description of her :D :D

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #281 on: September 16, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »
"Move Along Home"  "The Game" was a TNG episode.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #282 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »
"Move Along Home"  "The Game" was a TNG episode.
Yeah that's it..
I didn't really pay much attention to the actual title :P

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
They are both terrible episodes.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2014, 06:44:05 AM »
They are both terrible episodes.
Agreed!