login

Author Topic: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!  (Read 275051 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5002
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!
« Reply #255 on: September 10, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
To this day I Still have not watched Enterprise..

I have them backed up on DVD and hard drives but just never watched them.
It may be time to change this :-\

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
To this day I Still have not watched Enterprise..

I have them backed up on DVD and hard drives but just never watched them.
It may be time to change this :-\

Watch it in HD on Netflix or Amazon Prime, the ship needs HD to look good.  If you don't see all the fine details it really looks like a cheap piece of plastic....

Looking at the lists again I forgot LeVar Burton directed a bunch of Enterprise episodes, and some of the better ones.
Also, what seems to be the common thread between all the crappy episodes of Voyager and Enterprise is: written by Braga and or Berman...

Rewatched what should have been the final 2 episodes of Enterprise a few days ago, Demons and Terra Prime, the way that ended would have been a fine way to end the series, instead we get next is that horrible abomination of an episode as a finale.  And guess what, that was the only episode of all of season 4 written by Braga and Berman....

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #257 on: September 10, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
I don't find any of the first 2 seasons of Enterprise unwatchable, can't say that for TNG season 1 or Voyager the first several seasons.  cough::Threshold::cough

And I've rewatched more of them than DS9, although I can't bring myself to say DS9 was worse the first 2 seasons.  I guess I like the characters on Enterprise better than DS9, but the stories were certainly better on DS9, not really liking half the characters on DS9 is probably the thing that stops me from rewatching most of it. 

Looking on GEOS for the worst 10 of each series, ignoring the finale I'd watch most of the ones from Enterprise before any of the others.  Of course it's not completely fair since the other series had more years to build up some truly terrible episodes.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #258 on: September 10, 2014, 12:42:15 PM »
Id watch Enterprise before Voyager.  I think the first 2 seasons were as good if not better than than the others.  I even liked most of season 3, though it felt off for Star Trek for some reason.  I would have watched it if it had nothing to do with Star Trek.  Season 4 was really great until that finale.  They had finally found what the show was supposed to be about.  Too bad it was their last season.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #259 on: September 10, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »
Instead of doing something like Enterprise, I'm not sure why they couldn't fill in an existing void with the Enterprise B or C, or even continued on past Voyager ???

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
I want to see a show about one of the alien races.  Like a show about a Klingon battlecruiser or something.  Maybe an Obsidian Order or Tal Shiar spy show?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #261 on: September 10, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
Something beyond Voyager would have been good, and would have allowed for some guest spots for older cast members without even needed much makeup to make them look older.

I like the idea of a show aboard a Klingon battle cruiser more than the other 2 suggestions.  Probably only possible if a cable network or streaming company were to do it, pretty sure the big studios are still against anything that doesn't have humans as the central characters, even book publishers are still against those ideas.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #262 on: September 10, 2014, 02:36:23 PM »
Season 4 was really great until that finale.

The way to wipe out the finale is to think of it as an episode of TNG that was too bad to air during it's run, just tacked onto the end of Enterprise to recover production costs.  The added benefit of thinking about it that way is so all the stuff that happens with the NX-01 people becomes a poorly written holo-novel, not actually based on historical facts.  ;D 

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #263 on: September 10, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
I'd rather see an anthology show instead of one cast/one crew.  Just call it Star Trek: Federation.  If budgets are an issue, do it as 2-3 miniseries per year.
I like this idea :o

Soguru

« Reply #264 on: September 10, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
And "Duet" blows chunks.
That's a rather bold statement. I remember SF Debris did a review of the episode and he basically gave it a 10/10. I'm not one to always mindlessly follow the opinion of somebody who is obviously intellectually superior to me but I have to agree with him on that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:59:14 PM by Soguru »

Soguru

« Reply #265 on: September 10, 2014, 06:59:26 PM »
How about: it's incredibly overrated for what is essentially a predictable and by-the-numbers story without any real surprises. 
I personally found it to be very poignant.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
Id watch Enterprise before Voyager.  I think the first 2 seasons were as good if not better than than the others.  I even liked most of season 3, though it felt off for Star Trek for some reason.  I would have watched it if it had nothing to do with Star Trek.  Season 4 was really great until that finale.  They had finally found what the show was supposed to be about.  Too bad it was their last season.

I don't know.  With Voyager, disappointing overall as it was, I can point to a few episodes that can stand with the best of Trek.  With Enterprise, at its best, it was just "good" never "great".  Even season 4 was just an improvement over what we had seen.  Like S2 of TNG vs S1.

Voyager also had a few good characters. Seven, Kes, Doctor.  Everyone on enterprise was boring.  Archer made even the batshit insane Janeway look better.  Janeway was nuts.  Archer was flat out incompetent.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5535
« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »
Wasn't there the whole genocide thing with Enterprise, too?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
Archer incompetent?  I don't get that at all.

I think people can't adjust their ideas of how the crew should be acting to the time period the show is in, so they just say it was bad.  It was literally "where no human has gone before", and that was a fault early on, too many "firsts" so there was a bit of repetitiveness.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2014, 04:48:51 AM »
Archer made even the batshit insane Janeway look better.  Janeway was nuts.  Archer was flat out incompetent.

Archer never stranded his crew on the other side of the galaxy.  I know that was the point of the show, but they made Janeway look way more incompetent than Archer for that.