Author Topic: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!  (Read 275160 times)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7357
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
I AM KI-ROK!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5002
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
I AM KI-ROK!
Locutus will assimilate you 8)

Online RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:05 AM »
I have def heard that about TNG. I think my issue is that I want to know TOS episodes inside and out before I move on to TNG.

You might want to try listening to the Mission Log podcast.  It's produced by Gene Roddenberry's son and they've been reviewing TOS in broadcast order episode by episode.  They get a little dry sometimes, but there's some good analysis and trivia.  They're in season 3 right now, then they'll move on to the animated episodes/TNG/Movies etc.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2014, 07:23:55 AM »
Can you post the link to the Mission Log Podcast? :o

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1385
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »
Yes. Also, will I get to hear old podcasts that cover season 1 and 2?

The movies will be great to hear about!
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
While we wait.. Here's (a poor TV quality viewing of ) Patrick Stewart as China's 'Jade Rabbit' rover.. :D :D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hH-0oWRC5cQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hH-0oWRC5cQ</a>

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-february-4-2014/who-froze-jade-rabbit-?xrs=synd_facebook_020514_tds_91
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:58:31 AM by RVR II »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »

You might want to check out William Shatner's book/audio book Star Trek Movie Memories, theres some good stuff in that.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3092
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
Found the archive for those podcasts:

http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/archive/

Online RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
Yes. Also, will I get to hear old podcasts that cover season 1 and 2?

I just go through iTunes, but they have a website here.

http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/

And yes, they have seasons 1 and 2 up and complete along with some special episodes with interviews.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1385
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
Oh, I don't do iTunes. But thanks for the links, guys!

Also, Sideswipe, I just got movie memories from the library! :)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2014, 07:11:01 PM »
I've listened to a bunch of those podcasts, when they are talking about production or trivia of the episode it's pretty good, but man do they miss the meaning of some of the scenes.

The one that sticks with me is in Balance of Terror.  There's a great scene where Bones says the following:

In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more, only one of each of us.

[pause]

Don't destroy the one named Kirk.
They kept dissing it as a "be the best Kirk you can be" message.  Wow is that a totally wrong interpretation.  And it was a fantastic bit of acting by DeForest Kelley there, that they kind of made fun of.

I guess maybe they are just not very bright, their ideas on how the Horta and Miners were going to get along in the future didn't make sense.  Even if you accept the possibility of one rouge Horta why would all the others follow it?  They seemed to think the miners were enslaving the Horta, when it's stated pretty clearly the Horta would be left alone and the miners would just use the tunnels the Horta leave behind as they went about their daily lives.

Every time they do something like that it gets on my nerves, so although I kind of want to listen to more of them I don't think I'll continue.

Online RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
I've listened to a bunch of those podcasts, when they are talking about production or trivia of the episode it's pretty good, but man do they miss the meaning of some of the scenes.

The one that sticks with me is in Balance of Terror.  There's a great scene where Bones says the following:

In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more, only one of each of us.

[pause]

Don't destroy the one named Kirk.
They kept dissing it as a "be the best Kirk you can be" message.  Wow is that a totally wrong interpretation.  And it was a fantastic bit of acting by DeForest Kelley there, that they kind of made fun of.

I guess maybe they are just not very bright, their ideas on how the Horta and Miners were going to get along in the future didn't make sense.  Even if you accept the possibility of one rouge Horta why would all the others follow it?  They seemed to think the miners were enslaving the Horta, when it's stated pretty clearly the Horta would be left alone and the miners would just use the tunnels the Horta leave behind as they went about their daily lives.

Every time they do something like that it gets on my nerves, so although I kind of want to listen to more of them I don't think I'll continue.

I can see that, and I don't agree with everything they come up with either.  Of course, they've only covered TOS so far, and I'm no where near as familiar with them as I am with TNG.  My opinion might change when they start reviewing movies.

On the other hand, for some variety, there's a podcast called Treknologic that reviews episodes semi-randomly from every series, along with special episodes of reviewing other shows or movies as long as they involve time travel (They even did one MLP episode.  Bronies will know which one.)  It's kind of fun, they never claim to be experts, though sometimes they try a little too hard to roleplay and be funny.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2014, 07:39:49 PM »
I can see that, and I don't agree with everything they come up with either.  Of course, they've only covered TOS so far, and I'm no where near as familiar with them as I am with TNG.  My opinion might change when they start reviewing movies.

I probably know the TOS episodes way too well, it does seem like they can't remember what they just watched a lot of the time so make wrong conclusions.  But that bugs me just as much because I'd expect if someone is going to do an hour long podcast about an episode they should at least pay attention when watching it...

I'll look for that Treknologic one and give it a listen.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »
My favorite trek reviewer is SFDebris.  Manages to make a humors review and insightful review in one.  Can be funny even when reviewing good episodes, and really only bashes the really terrible ones that everyone bashes.  Ranks every episode on a 0-10 scale and only by comparison to other episodes in that series, not the franchise as a whole.  With that said he will compare and contrast series, mostly DS9 and Voyager since they were handled by two very different teams.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek.php

He does episodes very randomly from all series.  He started with his reviews of Voyager, so you will find a lot more of those reviewed than other series.