login

Author Topic: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!  (Read 274746 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4995
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: RVR II's Star Trek thread.. Cause it's sure to veer off course!
« Reply #2070 on: January 20, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
Just stumbled across this.. CLASSIC!! :clap: :clap:
Spock vs Q
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3kTlGmmU4ao" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3kTlGmmU4ao</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1090
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #2071 on: January 21, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »
Spock Vs Q was pretty funny. I remember little else about it though.

Got through watching the TNG episode The Next Phase where Geordi and Ro have a.... transporter accident. There's a LOT in this episode to get very nitpicky about, but I will always insist that it's a good episode.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3090
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2072 on: January 21, 2019, 09:11:05 PM »
Got through watching the TNG episode The Next Phase where Geordi and Ro have a.... transporter accident. There's a LOT in this episode to get very nitpicky about, but I will always insist that it's a good episode.

That is one of my favorite episodes because of the dialog, too bad it's weak on the science fiction side.  I think that is one of Geordi's best episodes, and Ro is usually great anyway.   

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4995
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2073 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:46 AM »

That is one of my favorite episodes because of the dialog, too bad it's weak on the science fiction side.  I think that is one of Geordi's best episodes, and Ro is usually great anyway.
I agree with this.
They could pass through walls, people, and other things but not the floor ???

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2074 on: January 22, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »

I agree with this.
They could pass through walls, people, and other things but not the floor ???

You could come up with various ways to explain the difference between floors and walls, gravity plates and such.

My biggest issue was always: how were they breathing?   You can go a few days without food or water, but oxygen in kind of important, how were their phased cells using normal oxygen?

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2075 on: January 22, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »
I have no idea how Geordi and Ro were breathing or how they were able to walk on matter they should logically be phasing through. For some reason, back when it originally aired I think most Trekkies were just into the drama and the rather sometimes unscientific sci-fi of the show and were willing to overlook certain things if other aspects made up for the apparent lack of logic in other areas.

I just watched the episode I, Borg. I haven't seen this episode in ages. Anyways I thought it was interesting given my interest in ethics lately. I just think its interesting that in Star Trek, in both TNG AND DS9 it's all about the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Basically this is something I've heard about called Utilitarian consequentialism. This is where an action is deemed moral or ethical if it achieves the best outcome for the most people. Now, in I, Borg, Picard and company are more than happy to make plans that they should use this Borg that they captured, send him back to his collective as a weapon to destroy the Borg.

On DS9 the Federation did something similar. They created a mutagenic virus, infected Odo with it in an attempt to wipe out the race known as the Founders. Here is the exception. Picard ultimately decided against using the Borg as a weapon against his race, showing the great moral resolve of the TNG crew. However, the Federation decided not to give the cure to the mutagenic virus to the founders. Ideally, the heroes of these shows would be like Captain America in Avengers: Infinity War. I know this is a little OT but hear me out. Anyway in the movie and always AFAIK the coda for Cap has been "We don't trade lives". Captain America's ethics fall in line with what's called deontology, where no outcomes can justify heinous things like murder.

I guess in the end, I just find it funny that a comic book character from the 1940's has arguably better ethics than the Federation of the distant future.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7357
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2076 on: January 26, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
why didn't worf get in deep shit for messing with risa's weather control system? he took part in a terrorist attack on a federation planet, and then he... went swimming? dub tee eff?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2077 on: January 26, 2019, 09:52:33 AM »
why didn't worf get in deep shit for messing with risa's weather control system? he took part in a terrorist attack on a federation planet, and then he... went swimming? dub tee eff?

Because that episode is horribly written, why would you expect anything logical from an episode where all of the characters do stuff that is both out of character for them and out of character for the show.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2078 on: January 26, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
If you want a good episode that takes place on Risa, I recommend TNG's "Captain's Holiday".

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2079 on: January 26, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »
If you want a good episode that takes place on Risa, I recommend TNG's "Captain's Holiday".

Yes, that one is good.

That might be the only one, all the other times on any series when they went to Risa it was awful.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7357
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2080 on: January 28, 2019, 08:49:05 AM »
the galaxy, nebula, and d'deridex classes are very pretty ships.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7914
« Reply #2081 on: January 29, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the Galaxy.  It's weird looking from most angles except the profile.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2082 on: January 29, 2019, 06:27:46 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the Galaxy.  It's weird looking from most angles except the profile.

I agree, when I built a model of the Enterprise D I was kind of shocked how much I disliked the look, the proportions are all wrong, and the shape is not very pleasing to the eye.  Even looking at the model at it's most favorable angles it's not as good as it looked on the show, seems like it was designed to look good when using certain camera lenses at certain angles, and doesn't hold up when viewing with the naked eye.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2083 on: January 29, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »
Maybe that's why I'm a bigger fan of the design of the Defiant.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2084 on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:59 PM »
That reminded me I keep forgetting to order the 1:1000 model kit of the Defiant that has been out for a while, just ordered it from Amazon.

Of all the designs used on the shows and movies there are only 2 I don't like, Galaxy class (Enterprise D) and Excelsior class (Enterprise B).

While the Galaxy class looked good from certain angles on screen, I don't think the Excelsior class looks good from any angle.