Author Topic: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?  (Read 268650 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1218
Re: What's the last Television show you watched on DVD/VHS/youtube/Netflix?
« Reply #2565 on: June 04, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »
Watched episodes 1,2 and 4 of the Netflix series Evil Genius.

It's the story of that crazy bank robbery in Erie PA where the pizza delivery guy had the bomb clamped around his neck.

What a messed up, bizarre, disturbing story, the woman involved was basically a serial killer, all her boyfriends except one ended up dead over the years with 2 she admits to killing, and the one guy that she didn't kill was just as sick as she was. 

The documentary is well made but a bit slow to bring out details, not sure why they felt they had to stretch it out to 4 episodes of 45 minutes each, the story could have been told in about 2 hours.  It feels like something made for a cable channel to air over 4 weeks, lots of breaks and recaps and cliffhangers to get you to stay past what are obvious commercial break markers.  If that was what it was made for when it went to Netflix they should have re-edited it so it could be watched in one evening.

And it was so slow that you skipped episode three all together?

After the first 2 I read the description of 3 and decided to skip it, the 4th wraps everything up anyway, and has the "surprise" ending, you could probably skip from about halfway through the second episodes to the 4th and not feel that you missed anything.

I know it's irrational, but your TV watching habits really stress me out :P

Like a teacher I had that would only erase 90% of the whiteboard, leaving a couple stray lines on purpose to fuck with the slightly ocd kids.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 434
« Reply #2566 on: June 06, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
Well fuck me, Westworld is really good again. After the first three episodes I nearly gave up on it, but episode four was great. It brought back a little bit of philosophy, but just enough without feeling preachy or heavy handed. And it focused on characters I was interested in, and even made me interested in some characters I wasn’t. And I didn’t cringe once at the dialogue this time.

Episode five had a little cringe to it, but it was bearable. And even though the stupid present day timeline wrapper with the commandos showed up again (feels entirely unnecessary), it was thankfully short. Other than that the episode was a lot of fun, and I wish I would have started watching my backlog earlier cause now I have to go to bed before watching episode 6.

Overall, if you have given up on Westworld like I did, there are at least two worthwhile episodes in the middle. I doubt the season will end in a way I’ll enjoy, but at least it’s fun again for now.

Yep. Episode one had me worried, and the stuff in Shogun World seemed like an unnecessary detour. But episode 6 and especially 7, were God like.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 169
  • "They belong here more than we"
« Reply #2567 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
Well I went to my local Target last night and found a great deal. Just out of curiosity I visited one of the bargain shelve end caps and searched through the media to see if anything remotely of interest was on sale. I found Burn Notice, season 7... for 7 bucks. Yeah it's DVD but to me, that translates to me as a damn good deal so I ran with it to the check out, paid for it, took it home and started watching it right away.

Burn Notice season 7 continues this... tonal shift the series took. It's more focused exclusively on an A story rather than having an A and a B story running concurrently throughout each episode. This season picks up from last where Michael Westen made a deal with the CIA to get Fiona, Sam, Jessie, and his mom all out of jail. Now, I'm not a big fan of series where the tone starts to take a turn for being more dark than it used to be, but somehow... Burn Notice always made it work, and it was always fun, exciting and you just can't go wrong with a series when Bruce Campbell is playing one of the main characters. This being the final season of the series... it was no exception. I'm having a blast watching this.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 4254
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2568 on: June 07, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
Watching Monty Python's Flying Circus on Netflix.  I was worried that this was a case where being familiar with the show would be a drawback, but it's still brilliant, jokes that have aged poorly aside (STOP PUTTING PEOPLE IN BLACKFACE!)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2569 on: June 07, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
Watching Monty Python's Flying Circus on Netflix.  I was worried that this was a case where being familiar with the show would be a drawback, but it's still brilliant, jokes that have aged poorly aside (STOP PUTTING PEOPLE IN BLACKFACE!)

Oh right, I need to add the to my list.  Thanks for the reminder.  I had the big DVD boxed set, but I'm almost positive that there are episodes missing from it. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2570 on: June 07, 2018, 06:16:39 PM »

Oh right, I need to add the to my list.  Thanks for the reminder.  I had the big DVD boxed set, but I'm almost positive that there are episodes missing from it.

Hey where did you live?  I don’t see it available on my Netflix.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2571 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
Did?  That's worrying.  Anyway, I live in Canada.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2263
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2572 on: June 07, 2018, 06:44:05 PM »
The Power Of Myth is now on Netflix, before watching this in the late 80s on PBS I had only heard of Joseph Campbell a little in reference to the hero's journey in Star Wars.  It's a fantastic series of shows talking about all kinds of mythology throughout history and around the world.  Looks like what is on Netflix is the 25th anniversary set, with introductions added in by Bill Moyers.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2573 on: June 10, 2018, 05:08:21 AM »
After a bit of a break, me and my friend got back to watching the Last Man on Earth.  The middle of season 2, this show is stronger and more powerful than ever.  It's also a lot easier to watch since Tandy's become less reprehensible and his actions come from a strange middle ground between wanting to genuinely help people and the community that's so important to him, but also wanting to be acknowledged for that.  I also love Phil II's journey from community savior to guy who keeps assuming he is in the right, only to find himself in need of Tandy's help.  It's powerful stuff and I'm looking forward to where the show goes next.

Also watched the first three episodes of the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.  "Party Monster" is an absolute gem of an episode and not only has some of the best jokes in the episode but a brilliant payoff to a non-sequitor joke from the first episode of the new season.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2262
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2574 on: June 10, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »
It's a shame Last Man got cancelled the same day as Brooklyn, which pulled all of the focus. Last Man was a brilliant season that impossibly stayed fresh and grew as it went. I loved it a lot.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5165
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2575 on: June 10, 2018, 05:18:10 PM »
I tried out the second episode of Dead Like Me, and wow was that BORING! I didn't care for any of the characters, especially the main girl who's constant monotone voiceover was insufferable. They seemed to be going out of their way with their worldbuilding to suck out anything that could possibly be interesting about being Grim Reapers. In the show itself there is absolutely none of the fun and silliness that the opening credits scenes promise. This was really disappointing.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2576 on: June 10, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »
In the show itself there is absolutely none of the fun and silliness that the opening credits scenes promise. This was really disappointing.

If you were expecting silliness then you would be very disappointed.  It's a drama that can occasionally get funny at times if you stick with it.  If you don't like drama then it's not for you.  Yes it does take a while for the characters to develop.

Looking at the list I'd say jump to episode 6 when Daisy shows up and go from there, or give episode 10 a shot, that one has more comedy than usual and a cool ending. Added bonus the actress that plays Daisy is freak'n gorgeous.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2577 on: June 11, 2018, 06:20:12 AM »
In the show itself there is absolutely none of the fun and silliness that the opening credits scenes promise. This was really disappointing.

If you were expecting silliness then you would be very disappointed.  It's a drama that can occasionally get funny at times if you stick with it.  If you don't like drama then it's not for you.  Yes it does take a while for the characters to develop.

Looking at the list I'd say jump to episode 6 when Daisy shows up and go from there, or give episode 10 a shot, that one has more comedy than usual and a cool ending. Added bonus the actress that plays Daisy is freak'n gorgeous.
Thanks. I was hoping for it to be at least dark humor.
I don't think I'll give it another shot because the world they set up is just frustrating. They have to eat, pay for things, get jobs, drive to their destination, THEN WHAT'S THE POINT of them being dead at all?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2578 on: June 11, 2018, 07:19:12 AM »

I don't think I'll give it another shot because the world they set up is just frustrating. They have to eat, pay for things, get jobs, drive to their destination, THEN WHAT'S THE POINT of them being dead at all?

I always wondered if they really have to eat, they heal from any injury right away so they are nearly impossible to kill, if a body part gets cut off they can stick it right back on, and they don't age.  I guess the point ends up being that they have a chance to do stuff with this new "life" that they didn't get to do while they were alive. 

It does take the show way too long to get settled, probably 4 episodes of world building, once it settles down the annoying stuff like where she will live stops coming up so often.  Although the stuff with her family is depressing for way too long, takes until probably half way through the 2nd season for the mom to become likeable.

Episode 10 is pretty funny, Daisy reaps a business woman played by Susan Sullivan, the woman won't move on until she is satisfied her son can run the company, so Daisy plans to get money from the son using info from the mother and sets up a seance that Mason keeps messing up.  Rube gets help from some guys in the plague division to put an end to it, because those guys don't have much to do these days.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #2579 on: June 11, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »

I always wondered if they really have to eat, they heal from any injury right away so they are nearly impossible to kill, if a body part gets cut off they can stick it right back on, and they don't age.  I guess the point ends up being that they have a chance to do stuff with this new "life" that they didn't get to do while they were alive. 

I thought that too. Except that I think the girl says she is hungry (Or maybe it's just her desire to do normal human things) But it is a money expense that they have to deal with and they struggle financially, so if they don't have to they wouldn't. The girl also is in the bathroom on the toilet at one point, so they do pee and poop apparently.
It just puts too much mundanity in what should be an interesting fantasy setting. Which I guess is what they were going for, but that doesn't appeal to me.