login

Author Topic: Animation Worth Riffing?  (Read 11898 times)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
Re: Animation Worth Riffing?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 01:00:46 PM »
Ok.. meet the animation thing half way w/ "Cool World"

I've been holding out on that, since I'm worried that Mike wouldn't go easy on the director. I mean, yeah, it's a pretty crappy film, but what can you do? The studio messed it up. It was supposed to be an animated horror film, but the producer tried to turn it into Who Boinked Roger Rabbit or something like that.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline McThornbody

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 09:03:37 PM »
hmm seems that there was a Lord of the Rings flick that was animated. Seems it from the 70's. Half way through though they ran out of money and used old war footage colored over to finish it. Can't remember the name since i am not a LOR's fan.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 09:12:48 AM »
Correction: that wasn't stock footage: that was shot directly for the film, and the reason they had live-action merged with animation on that was an artistic choice, not a budgetary choice. I thought the movie was excellent, BTW.

Offline jammindude

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »
Correction: that wasn't stock footage: that was shot directly for the film, and the reason they had live-action merged with animation on that was an artistic choice, not a budgetary choice. I thought the movie was excellent, BTW.

I actually really enjoyed that flick....until the end.    But I heard that THAT *was* budgetary.     Meaning....they did the story line for FOTR and TTT, and suddenly got the ROTK and realized they were out of money, so they had to wrap up the final part of the trilogy in like, ten minutes.       

So now I find it unwatchable...just because I know that all the good stuff is going to lead up to a steamy pile of an ending.    VERY anti-climactic....
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled"
- Neil Peart from "Territories" by RUSH

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2006, 10:20:30 AM »
I actually really enjoyed that flick....until the end.    But I heard that THAT *was* budgetary.     Meaning....they did the story line for FOTR and TTT, and suddenly got the ROTK and realized they were out of money, so they had to wrap up the final part of the trilogy in like, ten minutes.

The director himself confirmed that this story is untrue. It was originally supposed to be three films, then it was negotiated down to two films, and then United Artists released the first film as "The Lord of the Rings," instead of "The Lord of the Rings: Part One," as it was supposed to be, and then they refused to fund the sequel.

In order to cover this fact up later on, when the rights went to Time/Warner (who had purchased the catalog of Saul Zaentz, who produced the film), they went and overdubbed the alternate narrative over the film's climatic ending. It originally had the narration after the ending, and the announcement was that a sequel would come later. But as you know, this didn't work out too well.

And then Rankin/Bass aired their version of "The Return of the King" in May, 1980, and it was too late for them to change their minds. United Artists folded in November, after the box-office bomb "Heaven's Gate."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 11:42:48 PM by Isaac »

Offline jammindude

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2006, 11:05:17 AM »
Wow....did not know that.   

Explains alot.

But wasn't UA still in existence when (shockingly popular) Rocky 3 was released?   circa 1983?   Or did UA just get bought up by someone else?
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled"
- Neil Peart from "Territories" by RUSH

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2006, 12:07:50 PM »
After Heaven's Gate, UA was sold to MGM, which was eventually bought by Turner Entertainment, which was bought by Time/Warner. The MGM catalog is now owned by Sony (although 20th Century Fox now has distribution rights), although certain titles are owned by other companies.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »
Thats a lot of talk about who owns what crappy movies

Offline Rube_Maroon

• Schnappi Supporter
  • You guys watch Joe Don Baker movies?
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2006, 04:44:41 PM »
I am with pakman for Shrek. Awful piece of shit. The popularity of this crap genuinely makes me weep.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2006, 02:26:02 AM »
Any of the non-Pixar cookie-cutter CGI movies would work....

I recently saw a UK CGI-animated film, Valiant (although the writing was so poor it could easily be mistaken for an American production with British actors). All the while I was watching it, I couldn't help but feel that it could be improved by Mike's riffing. Not only because I hated the flick, but because it has so many moments where a riff or two could be thrown in.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2006, 06:43:07 AM »
I think you guys may be missing a classic one that is really great for riffing, if you are actually going with animation.

All Dogs go to Heaven.

Think of all the folks' voices in that one.

It's like being able to riff Cannonball Run , but with DOGS!

You know, I bet thats how that was pitched originally.
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2006, 07:37:34 AM »
lol cannonball run would be great too

but your right all dogs go to heaven would be PERFECT.  even the whole doggy hell thing was hilarious. 

Offline hamstar

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »
It would not interest me in the least. Due to the already disembodied nature of RT a cartoon would just not hold my attention.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 10:27:06 AM »
I don't know if anyone could sit through this even with really good riffing from Mike, Kevin and Bill.
Titanic: The Animated Movie
So horrible.... so horrible. Talking animals.
Edited to add -It says a lot when an animated movie can be considered worse than the actual disaster it's based off of.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:33:56 AM by jewishcarpenter »

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2006, 10:33:39 AM »
I agree Cool World would be a nice halfway point for riffing on animation....

As for Shrek and other CGI movies...I think the obvious choice would be the first Final Fantasy movie.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!