Author Topic: Are you a "Survivor"-er?  (Read 9878 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Are you a "Survivor"-er?
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
What a terrible subject title.  Anyway, I've held off from starting a thread on this for literally years, cuz, well, it's my 2nd biggest guilty pleasure and reality tv can be such garbage.  Now I figure, eh, why not?  Worth a shot.  Anyhoooo...

Anyone here catch the new season of "Survivor"?  It's Coach vs. Ozzy.  Sooo great to see Ozzy again. The unquestionable best at challenges against a slimy but likeable egomaniac.  So typical of Ozzy to lead by having everyone play in the water first before building a shelter.  Hahaha.  A good episode tonight with strong members and people who are interesting without being cartoony "Big Brother" contestants (which is where I was afraid the series was heading):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh... were you wondering what my greatest guilty pleasure is? Ace of Base. I know every one of their albums by heart (no joke).  ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:24:39 PM by stansimpson »

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Are you a "Survivor"-er?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
I'm curious to see how far Coach gets this time.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
I'm curious to see how far Coach gets this time.
Definitely. Biggest questions for me are how long either will last really.  My money is on Ozzy lasting longer, but Coach solidifying an alliance of 5?  He could go crazy far if he can keep them together.  Kinda hoping he'd use that brainwashing stuff Boston Rob used last year to hold it together!   :D

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
So there was a lot I wanted to say after watching the latest ep, but I've forgotten most of it.  All I remember now is Albert finally speaking up.  He has the words of the best kind of diplomat as well as being uber-strong.  Reminds me of Yul, really.  If he doesn't win, it's because he's on a sucky tribe.  Oh!  And "Li'l Hantz" revealing his tattoo and flip-floppin on the honesty thing? Terrrrrrible move!  That kinda amateur-ish-ness will get you voted out so fast.  I'll be surprised if he lasts three more eps.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
So Coach chastises Brandon big-time (which needs to maybe happen more often until he gets voted out).  The challenge really made for an emotional ending.  And tribal council was just as awkward as it was emotional.  Next week's episode looks atrociously disgusting too, eh?

I wonder if I should keep updating this thread?  Well, in the immortal words of Tom Servo:
"I'm gonna keep doing this until someone notices me."

EDIT: I just found out what next season's (which already wrapped) twist is gonna be.  It's very unique and I'm very, very intrigued by it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:00:39 PM by stansimpson »

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »
Yeah, Brandon sure isn't his uncle, in either the bad OR good way.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »
Yeah, Brandon sure isn't his uncle, in either the bad OR good way.
Actually, I see him as a Yin-Yang of his uncle, which, as it's gone to show, is the worst strategy ever.  He did the manipulating thing but apologized later.  Then he tries to be too honest and gives away strategy.  That wishy-washy-ness gonna be his undoing.  I'm surprised they haven't put him at the bottom of the alliance.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
Cool to see a role (or I guess tribe) reversal.  The unwelcomed Coach becomes a strong leader, and beloved Ozzy gets put on the outs.  But by the end of the ep, Coach gets a little too leader-y (thus splitting the tribe), and the reward challenge brought the Ozzy gang closer than ever.

And now next week's ep looks... painfully uninteresting (no doubt some great stuff will happen tho).  Coach needs to let go of Li'l Hantz. He's playing one of the worst games since, I guess, Naonka. The sooner, the better. Oh! And good on Cochran for staying in the game this far. He was supposed to be out on Episode 1.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
I haven't watched the show in many seasons, but it is interesting. My uncle used to be in the film industry and he said he knew a guy who worked on the series who said it was controlled by the network. I don't think he claimed they fed the contestants or anything, but they pressured them to get into conflicts and things like that. I don't know if that's true, though. It seems pretty likely, but my uncle's a hardcore conspiracy theorist. Then again, it wasn't his theory, but rather a tale he heard. *shrug*

The last season I watched was the one where Dani Boatright (I think that was her name) won. Anyway, we watched because she was from our little hick town, Tonganoxie, KS.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »
At this point, I've seen most of the series (like all but a few in the middle).  Haven't seen anyone from my hometown (Woodland Hills, CA), but my 2nd home is Birmingham, AL.  J.T. was the closest from there who won.

Anywhooo, about the Leading The Contestants thing.  Yeah, they hire people with strong narcissistic traits, fame hungry, and volatile actions. But what sets "Survivor" apart is they are the most cunning as well.  And I know they'll edit things to favor a story that is sorta true if it's more interesting, but I've seen enough to tell the difference (hint: the boring ones are more forced).  It's true they'll ask for someone to repeat or re-enact what they just did for the cameras, but that to me says nothing about how everyone plays (which is why I watch).  The producers, network, or whoever can't tell who to vote for tho, cuz that's pretty much illegal (lotteries and gameshows are notoriously strict about that stuff).  Also, if the outcome of the results are predictable, they'll introduce a twist.  That's how they really control the game.  Is it fake?  Not in the professional wrestling sense.  Not even in the "Quiz Show" sense.  But what you see is not everything, but why I watch is pretty innate to the show.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
The season's half over and we just now learned that cowboy's name.  For the first few episodes I was all like the hell where'd that cowboy come from?  Was he there the whole time?!
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
The season's half over and we just now learned that cowboy's name.  For the first few episodes I was all like the hell where'd that cowboy come from?  Was he there the whole time?!
I know, right!?!  Guys that eccentric looking never get pushed to the background. And there's one girl with a thick Southern accent that's spoken like once. I can only guess these will either be big players in the end or just pawns the whole way.  Glad to see Albert finally pushed to the front.  Unfortunately, his smarts maybe the downfall to Coach's, er, dumbs.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »

Before we knew his name is really Rick we kept calling him "the Surprise Cowboy". Surprise! It's a cowboy!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 03:27:53 AM »
I've watched every season of Survivor and always been a big fan.  I've really been impressed with Coach this season after him being such a doorknob the previous two times he played.  Ozzy's also been smarter except for his little hissy fit that one time.  Him going to Redemption Island was a really bold move.  I hope it works out for him.

reality tv can be such garbage.

See, for me, everything unscripted gets lumped into that category and I don't think that's accurate.  There's a difference between a reality show "The Real World" and a game show "Survivor."  Any show that has people competing and getting voted out each week until one person is left standing and they win the prize, that's a game show.  Nobody's calling "The Price is Right" a reality show.  And yet the only difference between that show and Survivor is length a contestant can be on and details.

Amazing Race?  Game show.  The Hills? Reality show.  There's a clearcut difference.

Do they focus on interpersonal drama in the same way reality shows do?  Okay, sure.  But there's still competition and elimination, and that's what I enjoy.  I love the elimination factor.  I love starting with X number of people and getting all the way down to one.  And for me that sets games shows apart from trashy exploitation reality shows and I hate that things like The Apprentice, Amazing Race, Survivor, and American Idol get lumped in with stupid shit like The Hills and Kate Plus 8 and Wife Swap and whatever else they have.

Oh, speaking of that Wife Swap one.  A friend of mine was offered her family a role on that show and they payout is $20,000 for one week of filming, plus $1,000 for each TV interview to support the show.  She couldn't do it because her kids got really sick so it was bad timing but that's pretty freaking sweet.  The show's unwatchable but the money's good.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »
I've watched every season of Survivor and always been a big fan.  I've really been impressed with Coach this season after him being such a doorknob the previous two times he played.  Ozzy's also been smarter except for his little hissy fit that one time.  Him going to Redemption Island was a really stupid move.  I hope it works out for him.

Fixed that for ya  ;)  Christine has made it abundantly clear that she has no intentions of sticking with her former tribe.  It's not at all important to get her out, since she'd likely either be a number for Ozzy's tribe when she returns OR immediately voted off again by her former tribe like Matt was last season.  Ozzy's move was extremely high risk with extremely low reward. If he does come back I hope that my favorite, Cochran, sticks it to him and keeps the idol.