Author Topic: The Awesome Pictures Thread  (Read 467407 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: The Awesome Pictures Thread
« Reply #1965 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
How is this even possible?

Plus, it's photoshopped. That's Scaramanga's hideout from "The Man with the Golden Gun", which in real life is Ko Tapu.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #1966 on: July 24, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:58:23 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1967 on: July 25, 2012, 06:41:27 AM »

Lightning Eclipse from the Planet of the Goats

Credit & Copyright: Chris Kotsiopoulos (GreekSky)

Thunderstorms almost spoiled this view of the spectacular June 15 total lunar eclipse. Instead, storm clouds parted for 10 minutes during the total eclipse phase and lightning bolts contributed to the dramatic sky. Captured with a 30 second exposure the scene also inspired what, in the 16 year history of Astronomy Picture of the Day, the editor considers may be the best title yet for a picture (title credit to Chris K.). Of course, the lightning reference clearly makes sense, and the shadow play of the dark lunar eclipse was widely viewed across planet Earth in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. The picture itself, however, was shot from the Greek island of Ikaria at Pezi. That area is known as "the planet of the goats" because of the rough terrain and strange looking rocks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:46:08 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1968 on: July 25, 2012, 06:52:03 AM »

I love this picture. Animal story on Facebook is great for some really beautiful photos.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1969 on: July 25, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1970 on: July 26, 2012, 07:07:20 AM »

Baby Liger Aries Joins Record Holder Big Brother Hercules

Hercules, famous for being the Guiness Book of World Record holder of largest cat, is now also a big brother – and at 900 pounds and standing at almost 6 feet tall, he is a really BIG brother!

Aries arrived four weeks ago at the Myrtle Beach Safari wildlife reserve in South Carolina. Aries, like Hercules, is a hybrid of a male lion and a tigress.
Bred for its skills in magic, obviously.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1971 on: July 26, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
It's also appropriate that it showed up on my newsfeed today, what with it being Detroit's birthday. And apprently I can't find a good source online for the story but theres local Alien Big Cat to the Metro Detroit region that's supposed to be a Liger.

Moving on...

The Tulip in the Swan

Image Credit & Copyright: Michael Joner, David Laney (West Mountain Observatory, BYU); Processing - Robert Gendler

Framing a bright emission region this telescopic view looks out along the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy toward the nebula rich constellation Cygnus the Swan. Popularly called the Tulip Nebula the glowing cloud of interstellar gas and dust is also found in the 1959 catalog by astronomer Stewart Sharpless as Sh2-101. About 8,000 light-years distant the nebula is understandably not the only cosmic cloud to evoke the imagery of flowers. The complex and beautiful nebula is shown here in a composite image that maps emission from ionized sulfur, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms into red, green, and blue colors. Ultraviolet radiation from young, energetic O star HDE 227018 ionizes the atoms and powers the emission from the Tulip Nebula. HDE 227018, is the bright star very near the blue arc at image center.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1972 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
By Brian Smith.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #1973 on: July 26, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #1974 on: July 27, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #1975 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »

[Not mine.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1976 on: July 27, 2012, 05:13:20 AM »
I love black cats. I had one once and I'd like to get another (although APGIL says our next cat is going to be a ginger).
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1977 on: July 27, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »
I love black cats. I had one once and I'd like to get another (although APGIL says our next cat is going to be a ginger).

As long as he doesn't dress it up in police outfits and call it Amy Pond.

Luck is on my side there, because he despises Doctor Who.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #1978 on: July 27, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »

Freedom and Jeff
Freedom and I have been together 11 years this summer. She came in as a baby in 1998 with two broken wings. Her left wing doesn't open all the way even after surgery, it was broken in 4 places. She's my baby.

When Freedom came in she could not stand and both wings were broken. She was emaciated and covered in lice. We made the decision to give her a chance at life, so I took her to the vet's office. From then on, I was always around her. We had her in a huge dog carrier with the top off, and it was loaded up with shredded newspaper for her to lay in. I used to sit and talk to her, urging her to live, to fight; and she would lay there looking at me with those big brown eyes. We also had to tube feed her for weeks.

This went on for 4-6 weeks, and by then she still couldn't stand. It got to the point where the decision was made to euthanize her if she couldn't stand in a week. You know you don't want to cross that line between torture and rehab, and it looked like death was winning. She was going to be put down that Friday, and I was supposed to come in on that Thursday afternoon. I didn't want to go to the center that Thursday, because I couldn't bear the thought of her being euthanized; but I went anyway, and when I walked in everyone was grinning from ear to ear. I went immediately back to her cage; and there she was, standing on her own, a big beautiful eagle. She was ready to live. I was just about in tears by then. That was a very good day.

We knew she could never fly, so the director asked me to glove train her. I got her used to the glove, and then to jesses, and we started doing education programs for schools in western Washington . We wound up in the newspapers, radio (believe it or not) and some TV. Miracle Pets even did a show about us.

In the spring of 2000, I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had stage 3, which is not good (one major organ plus everywhere), so I wound up doing 8 months of chemo. Lost the hair - the whole bit. I missed a lot of work. When I felt good enough, I would go to Sarvey and take Freedom out for walks. Freedom would
also come to me in my dreams and help me fight the cancer. This happened time and time again.

Fast forward to November 2000

The day after Thanksgiving, I went in for my last checkup. I was told that if the cancer was not all gone after 8 rounds of chemo, then my last option was a stem cell transplant. Anyway, they did the tests; and I had to come back Monday for the results. I went in Monday, and I was told that all the cancer was gone.

So the first thing I did was get up to Sarvey and take the big girl out for a walk. It was misty and cold. I went to her flight and jessed her up, and we went out front to the top of the hill. I hadn't said a word to Freedom, but somehow she knew. She looked at me and wrapped both her wings around me to where I could feel them pressing in on my back (I was engulfed in eagle wings), and she touched my nose with her beak and stared into my eyes, and we just stood there like that for I don't know how long . That was a magic moment We have been soul mates ever since she came in. This is a very special bird.

On a side note: I have had people who were sick come up to us when we are out, and Freedom has some kind of hold on them. I once had a guy who was terminal come up to us and I let him hold her. His knees just about buckled and he swore he could feel her power course through his body. I have so many stories like that..

I never forget the honor I have of being so close to such a magnificent spirit as Freedom. ~Jeff
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:50:22 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #1979 on: July 27, 2012, 08:56:07 AM »
Oh goodness. I had a hard time holding back the tears with that one.
Bonhead #2
fs!!