login

Author Topic: The Awesome Pictures Thread  (Read 531277 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
Re: The Awesome Pictures Thread
« Reply #1200 on: May 24, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »
There's some sort of guy wire on the other blade.  I assume there's one on the closer blade too.  Perhaps someone actually ascended this line, or perhaps they have a device that can self-ascend and take pictures.

I used to work in the nuclear industry, and we had all sorts of robots to do dangerous tasks, including taking pictures in hard to reach places.  Perhaps this is something similar.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #1201 on: May 24, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
I could just email RePower and ask them.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1202 on: May 24, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
Could be one of those propelled balloonist camera guys, like the ones hired to film Planet Earth. A telephoto lens on the camera would enable them to get that shot without getting super close to the blade and risk damage to the balloon.
I thought about maybe a helicopter with a telephoto lens, but it's not a telephoto lens. You can tell from the distortion of the blade closest to camera. You only get with with a fairly wide lens. Also, see how everything is pretty much in focus?  Definitely a wide lens.  You'd have to be too close to get it in a balloon or chopper I think.

I'd say the camera (with or without a photographer) is on a crane.  The ropes on the blades probably mean it's under repair, there's a guy on the top of the generator box doing something.  Or the thing is brand new, doesn't look like it's been in any weather yet.  They would be using a big crane during construction or replacing the blades.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #1203 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »
Hmmm, could be a crane....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DxOYwWu7Xcc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DxOYwWu7Xcc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

However, as you can see in the video, the blades are mounted from the center, and also connected by a large cable that would still be in frame.  This shot was taken from way off to the side.  Though it does appear to be brand new or under some sort of repair. 

I suppose it's possible that the crane was swung over to get the shot.  Might still be the most realistic explanation. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:13:17 AM by varietyofcells »

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #1204 on: May 24, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
Ah sweet, what have I done to this thread? I remember passing a huge blade being taken to a wind farm site on a trip 5 years ago.

EDIT: Thanks for the resize help.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:18:50 AM by jewishcarpenter »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #1205 on: May 24, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »
Looks like someone found the Titanic blades.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #1206 on: May 24, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Ah sweet, what have I done to this thread? I remember passing a huge blade being taken to a wind farm site on a trip 5 years ago.

What's the code for resizing the picture?

Just type in the height as smaller than what it actually is, so it looks like this.

Code: [Select]
[IMG height=400]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/jewishcarpenter/travel/P1000349.jpg[/img]
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #1207 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
So that's what those things were! I passed a convoy of those on the freeway a few summers back, and I was always curious as to their purpose. I thought they were the robotic fins of some super whale or something like that.

But okay, windmill. That makes more sense.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #1208 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »
You guys, I think all of this should belong in the "Wondering About Windmills" thread.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1209 on: May 24, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
You guys, I think all of this should belong in the "Wondering About Windmills" thread.

"The Wonder of Windmills" has a more fanciful ring to it.

And while we're at it, the "Books 'n Readin'" thread should be renamed "The Magic of Reading" or perhaps even...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6684
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1210 on: May 24, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

And while we're at it, the "Books 'n Readin'" thread should be renamed "The Magic of Reading" or perhaps even...

Well, that's DARK! So he's clearly plummeting to his death because, what, he didn't read a book about learning how to fly?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #1211 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »

Well, that's DARK! So he's clearly plummeting to his death because, what, he didn't read a book about learning how to fly?

Once again, this should be in the "Queries about LeVar Burton" thread.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #1212 on: May 24, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »

Once again, this should be in the "Queries about LeVar Burton" thread.

This statement implies intent to contain LeVar Burton to a single thread, which we all know is both morally wrong and a violation of forum policy.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #1213 on: May 24, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
Not a real awesome shot (fake awesome) but I did manage to get a photo of the eclipse last Sunday. I need to acquire a telephoto lens.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #1214 on: May 24, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »

EDIT: Thanks for the resize help.

Yes but, where was this picture taken from?

...sorry.