login

Author Topic: What was wrong with the 80s?!  (Read 2852 times)

Doctor Who?

What was wrong with the 80s?!
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_19401_5-inexplicably-horrifying-episodes-classic-comedies.html

Normally I would not start a thread about a cracked article but I have to say something.  All these shows were a little before my time and I have to ask what was wrong with 80s sitcoms?  Was rape a big joke back in the 80s or something? Did people send their children to get raped for the laughs?  This may be the most disturbing thing I have scene since The Shinning.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
Re: What was wrong with the 80s?!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of those episodes weren't played for laughs.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
Before even clicking I knew they were gonna have Dudley getting touched from Diff'rent Strokes!!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of those episodes weren't played for laughs.

Tell that to the laugh tracks. Someone thought rape was comedy gold and that is just scary.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
A couple of things, Doc.

One- All in the Family was the 70s. Don't blame that on us.

Two- The laugh tracks came standard on all sitcoms during that era. It wasn't until much, much later that sitcom makers had the clot to take the damn things out of their shows.

Three- That laughter in the All in the Family clip? That's the audience. All in the Family was recorded in front of a live studio audience. Those people thought it was funny. Let me reiterate. The people in the audience were the cause of the laughing while Edith is getting assaulted.

Four - The deadly serious episode of a sitcom is a standard feature of sitcoms from the 70s and beyond. Maude gets an abortion. Carol Seaver is in a drunk driving accident which kills her boyfriend. WKRP hosts a concert where several concert goers are trampled to death. The Seavers, again, have their house robbed by a friend of DiCaprio. Pretty much most of First and Ten. Chuckles the Clown is stomped to death by an elephant.

Well, okay. That last one was played for laughs. But it's still common in sitcoms.

Oh, and since you directed me to Cracked, resulting in that damn "Oh, look. I'll read that link too" syndrome, let me reciprocate by sending you to TV Trope's "Very Special Episode" listing, which I didn't consult while typing the above.  Cause me to waste an hour at Cracked, will you....

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:48:18 AM »
Yeah the WKRP episode was based on a real incident. I think it was a special floor area seating and people rushed the stage and a few were trampled.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 04:50:54 AM »
A couple of things, Doc.

One- All in the Family was the 70s. Don't blame that on us.

Two- The laugh tracks came standard on all sitcoms during that era. It wasn't until much, much later that sitcom makers had the clot to take the damn things out of their shows.

Three- That laughter in the All in the Family clip? That's the audience. All in the Family was recorded in front of a live studio audience. Those people thought it was funny. Let me reiterate. The people in the audience were the cause of the laughing while Edith is getting assaulted.

Four - The deadly serious episode of a sitcom is a standard feature of sitcoms from the 70s and beyond. Maude gets an abortion. Carol Seaver is in a drunk driving accident which kills her boyfriend. WKRP hosts a concert where several concert goers are trampled to death. The Seavers, again, have their house robbed by a friend of DiCaprio. Pretty much most of First and Ten. Chuckles the Clown is stomped to death by an elephant.

Well, okay. That last one was played for laughs. But it's still common in sitcoms.

Oh, and since you directed me to Cracked, resulting in that damn "Oh, look. I'll read that link too" syndrome, let me reciprocate by sending you to TV Trope's "Very Special Episode" listing, which I didn't consult while typing the above.  Cause me to waste an hour at Cracked, will you....

All I can say is boy am I glad I grew up in the Seinfield eara and watched a lot British Stcoms.  The thing I find strange is that back in the 70s MASH mixed drama and comedy and one of the reasons it worked was that they turned off the laugh track when something dramatic or tragic happened,you didn't hear anyone laugh when Col.Blake was killed. Yet that seems to have gone right by the people making this show.  Here is a tip child rape is not something you make jokes about on a family sitcom.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:14:58 AM »
The "Too Close for Comfort" episode is on YouTube and it is quite bizarre.    Ah the hilarity of a man being kidnapped and raped by two women....
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Doctor Who?

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 05:19:27 AM »
The "Too Close for Comfort" episode is on YouTube and it is quite bizarre.    Ah the hilarity of a man being kidnapped and raped by two women....

What i find even stranger is that the police in that episode told him he could not press charges. Also the ending where the one guy tells the other that the next time he gets raped he is on his own.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:49 AM »
I believe Webster, like Diff'rent Strokes, also had a sexual molestation episode

"The Uh-Oh Feeling" (032)
Webster on his way back to the classroom overhears his female friend getting molested by a substitute teacher. After driving the information out of her, he tries to convince her to tell an adult.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 06:10:51 AM »
All I can say is boy am I glad I grew up in the Seinfield eara and watched a lot British Stcoms.

Because if there are two things that NEVER go dark, it's Seinfeld and British comedy. :P

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »
And British sitcoms never have a laugh track.

Also MASH had a laugh track too depending on which audio a station wanted to go with.

anais.jude

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »
Yeah the WKRP episode was based on a real incident. I think it was a special floor area seating and people rushed the stage and a few were trampled.

It happened at a Who concert in the 70s

Doctor Who?

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
And British sitcoms never have a laugh track.

Also MASH had a laugh track too depending on which audio a station wanted to go with.

I never said British sitcoms never went dark or never had laugh tracks,what I said was none of the shows I ever watched played horrible crimes as a joke. Show me the episode of Jeeves and Wooster where rape is the joke because rape is just so wacky.

Yes it did but as I said they did not play laugh tracks during dramatic scenes.  that is I think the biggest problem with these episodes,not that they tried to mix comedy and drama but that they tried to do it in a very bad way.  First some of these are family sitcoms and that is not the best place to handle something like rape,second you have them playing the issue as a joke. That never happened on MASH,the horrors of war were never the joke,the insanity that the horror created was the joke. You never saw anyone in MASH making jokes while someone bled to death in front of them and they played a laugh track during those scenes.

Danecho1967

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
I was always grateful when the advertisements leading up to an episode referred to it as "A very special episode of..."  It translated to, "hey let's check out one of the other stations."  Or, "hey, let's read a book."