login

Author Topic: Wheel of Time readers  (Read 9089 times)

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
Re: Wheel of Time readers
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 07:17:50 PM »
Robert Jordan's wife was his editor, that is why he was able to get away with so much.

It should have ended with book 3.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
If anyone read any of the books in the series, and didn't read this summary, they are missing out on some hard-core, prime-time abridged style comedy.

If  may present  a few highlights

Moiraine: DO NOT go out into Shadar Logoth, or touch anything!

Mat: Let's go out into Shadar Logoth and touch things!

Rand and Perrin: Good idea.

Mat: I'm sweaty and pale and grabbing my dagger.

Rand: Sounds good.

Elayne: I've got long golden tresses.

Rand: Jinkies, Elayne.

Morgase: This boy is dangerous.

Lord Bryne: Yes, he is.

Elaida: Yes, he is.

Morgase: Good. Let him go.

Egwene: You're telling us you talked with the Daughter-Heir! Rand al'Thor! I am making presumptions about you, and therefore must yell at you. Just wait until Elayne, Nynaeve and I do this for the entire series.

That's just for the first book. There's a similar summary for each of Jordan's doorstoppers. n_n
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »
"I am making presumptions about you, and therefore must yell at you. Just wait until Elayne, Nynaeve and I do this for the entire series. "
Amen,

How could a series that constantly infuriates me be so enjoyable? I speand half of each book muttering, "I hate this character"

Go figure

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »
I must say I more than half agree with you. @_@

Maybe he didn't really die of a heart attack. Maybe he just fulfilled his end of whatever Faustian pact allowed him to produce such well-selling addictive books with such irritating, inauthentic characters.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »
I must say I more than half agree with you. @_@

Maybe he didn't really die of a heart attack. Maybe he just fulfilled his end of whatever Faustian pact allowed him to produce such well-selling addictive books with such irritating, inauthentic characters.
What I love is that if my sister and I made a list of which characters we love/hate the most they would come out completely opposite. We spend hours arguing over who we hope dies next

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
Just an FYI, Brandon Sanderson is giving himself to the Reddity Horde and going AMA today.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/k0fp8/iama_professional_fantasy_novelist_named_brandon/
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »
I gave up around book 8, but with the final book coming out next year, I'm jumping back in.

I think I'm going to listen to the first few books to refresh my memory.  I reread the intro with Lews Therin, and after all the talk about Dragons and Kinslaying, I thought I was reading Ice and Fire.

I started WoT in 8th grade, and now I'm married with 3.5 kids.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »
I can't believe how much of this story I've forgotten.  It's almost like a whole new book.

I have to say, the first book takes a lot from Tolkien.  I guess the first time I read it, I wasn't quick enough to notice.

shodan

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
ive heard of this series. i liked the sword of truth and the lord of the rings, is it anything like them?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
Like most fantasy novels, it borrows a lot from LotR.  After the first book or two, it does find it's own style which is quite complex.  There are a ton of characters and stories going on at once.  In that aspect, it is very much like Game of Thrones.  There are magic users which are more like Jedis than wizards.  The biggest complaint about the series is that it takes too long for new books to come out, but since the last book is coming out early next year, now is a great time to jump in.  The second biggest complaint is that many of the books (books 8-11) are dull in the middle.  I agree, but I've heard that the later books don't suffer from this.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
One of the books is about 900 pages and takes place in a single day. 

Unless you're James Joyce, this is inexcusable.  And even then...

Really?  Which one is it?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
I started reading Ulysses....it's tough...especially since it's supposed to be funny.  It's like if someone tried to watch an episode of The Daily Show 100 years from now.