login

Author Topic: DragonCon 2011: The Mads, An Impromptu Roast, and More  (Read 1179 times)

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
  • Incinerating Cinema
    • FilmRoasters | The Richmond FilmRoast
DragonCon 2011: The Mads, An Impromptu Roast, and More
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »
I got a last-minute opportunity to fill a hotel room slot for some friends who were driving to Atlanta this year, and despite being a broke motherf@cker, decided to take the chance to see what DragonCon was all about. Turns out it's pretty damn amazing.

The only two things I waited in line for (apart from the elevators) were the Mads' MST3K panel and a superheroine "cabaret" which didn't quite meet the quality and variety I'm used to seeing in shows where I live (Richmond burlesque is amazing if you ever get the chance to see one of our half-dozen troupes). Trace and Frank were just as entertaining in person as they are on the show, if not moreso. They talked about how they met, what it was like to work together, and how the writing dynamic changed as the show did. I saw them again later on with James Urbaniak (the voice of Dr. Venture) in a quiz show panel where they were forced to read statements about themselves aloud and the other contestants had to guess whether the statements were true or not. Frank's was especially entertaining: he claimed that while working at an Arby's, he invented a sandwich that only his friends could order. It involved a story about how he came from New York to Minneapolis and entered a drug rehab clinic where he was forced to get the job. The special sandwich was roast beef, chicken, and potato wedges. The other team guessed right that the story was bullshit, but Frank asked early on why nobody was questioning the idea that he'd worked at an Arby's.

During the Q and A, I seized the mic so I could gush about what a huge fan I was and that I'd started my own live show in their honor. Trace told me to stop. I asked if he meant to stop plugging the FilmRoast, and he said, "No, I mean stop riffing. Just stop."

:clap:

I told them that our show was non-profit, and they said, "Yeah, so is ours." They said that even though we don't make any money, I'd still have to pay them to come riff with us, or at the very least rent a limo. When I mentioned that we were the first riff team to tackle Zardoz, they reeled in shock and hissed in pain, probably at the memory of having actually seen the film. Clearly our respect was won, since Trace gave me a free DVD of Manos: The Hands of Fate and said, "That's for your riff team; thanks for taking Zardoz off our hands." Frank asked if I'd seen the guys wearing the brutal costumes and followed up with "Yeah, they're really mad because they found out that the costume contest is being held in alphabetical order."

I managed to catch up with them again later at the Cinematic Titanic table to give them a sketch that I drew of them as Forrester and T.V.'s Frank. I told them that I'd drawn it the previous day while I was hungover and they said, "It's okay, we're hung over while looking at it." I told them how much I loved them and everything they've done to make the world a more fun place to live in. I think they put the drawing on display. Either that, or they signed it and sold it.

There was so much to do during the con and I attended mostly filmmaking panels to learn a few tricks of the trade, but the highlight of my weekend was walking into a screening of Flash Gordon in the 24-hour movie room. Everyone was chuckling at the delightful cheesiness of the film and I could tell that everyone wanted to have something to say about it but they were all holding it inside. Needless to say, I can't keep my mouth shut during certain movies and just let loose. Everyone started cracking up and within minutes I had the whole room riffing on the movie.

I also got to meet Aaron Yonda, one of the creators of Chad Vader and the one who wears the suit. I snapped a photo of him with my new friend Tara, the Barbie Dalek, we talked about RiffTrax and Darth Vader coffee, and agreed that the worst joke possible to be made at the expense of a girl in a T.A.R.D.I.S. costume was the one absolutely irresistible to tell: "She's bigger on the inside than she is on the outside."

I really wanted to make it to the RiffTrax panel with Bill Corbett, but wound up missing it. I'm also thinking about contacting DragonCon about setting up a FilmRoast performance next year since I doubt the Cinema Titans or The Film Crew will ever go that far, though I'd love to see Incognito Cinema Warriors fill that void and would not be at all disappointed if they arranged something first. Speaking of which, I saw a guy in a Monarch Minion costume that I could have sworn was Rikk. Turns out it wasn't, but he was a dead ringer for sure.

By the way, I had no idea TorgosPizza was going to be present, otherwise I'd have made it a point to say a hello or meet up for a beer. Surely we all owe him one for the work he puts into keeping the iRiffs functional. I'm pretty sure it's the Millennium Falcon of the website and I'm glad to have someone there to bang a fist at it every once in a while!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:42:06 PM by chinagreenelvis »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: DragonCon 2011: The Mads, An Impromptu Roast, and More
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »
Jealous.......so jealous

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
I'm glad you had a good time, chinagreenelvis. Turns out the one MST3K/RiffTrax/CinTit panel I was able to attend was the Bill Corbett one you missed (and BOY did I pay for it in sleep-deprivation; but it was my only chance to meet TorgosPizza in person).

I had a great time with my friends. The only downside for me was my continuing mobility issues; this was my first time staying at a hotel other than one of the three big central ones, and I've got some adjustments to make (motorized scooter, here I come). On the plus side, I bought a totally sweet cane in the dealer's room, so no more aluminum Walmart cane for me!

So, how about you, TP? You've been to the Big Show a bunch of times, but this was your first Dragon*Con; whaddaya think, sir?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Incinerating Cinema
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
There was a girl at the 3 a.m. dance party with a sweet cane. Dancing like mad, too.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5684
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
I really hope this was recorded for a special feature on a future Shout! MST3K DVD set.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
DragonCon llllllllllladies...

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Incinerating Cinema
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »
Yeah, those costumes are amazing. I really wish I had seen them walking around, I'd have lost it.