Author Topic: Anyone here actually see MST3K: THE MOVIE in theatres?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
Anyone here actually see MST3K: THE MOVIE in theatres?
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:22:41 PM »
I was too young, and not familiar with MST3K at the time. I heard of the sloppy release, with only 26 theatres. Anyone here get to see it? I have a VHS and DVD of it, but I never got to have the big screen experience.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Anyone here actually see MST3K: THE MOVIE in theatres?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
I got to see it at the New Neon Theater in Dayton Ohio. Was a great experience.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
I did. Tivoli Center in downtown Denver. It ran for about a week there. If I remember right, we had about 20-30 people in the crowd, which for the Tivoli was fairly full. Stupid shoebox-sized theaters.

Oddly enough the "Hey! It's Denver's new airport" got the biggest laugh.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
I did. Tivoli Center in downtown Denver. It ran for about a week there. If I remember right, we had about 20-30 people in the crowd, which for the Tivoli was fairly full. Stupid shoebox-sized theaters.

Oddly enough the "Hey! It's Denver's new airport" got the biggest laugh.

Hey, I saw it there, too!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
I saw it on opening night in a theater in Miami. Actually saw it three times in the theater. One time someone was handing out passes for it in front of the theater. Also saw it at the 2nd MST3K Convention and we got to see the deleted scenes and hear the Dave Avin and The Blasters version of the theme song.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
the Dave Avin and The Blasters version of the theme song

Was that the song they used in the trailer? I remember looking forward to the full song in the movie and being disappointed that it wasn't there.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
I didn't but I know someone who did.  Um... that doesn't count, does it?

Also, I remember very well seeing trailers/commercials for it.  I wasn't that big into it then.  I think it would've been a novelty thing if I did wind up going.  Looking back, that prob woulda been a MSTie-for-life kinda thing had I gone.  Um... that doesn't count either, does it?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
the Dave Avin and The Blasters version of the theme song

Was that the song they used in the trailer? I remember looking forward to the full song in the movie and being disappointed that it wasn't there.

Yeah they did a full version of the theme. I was really disappointed when the finally re-issued the DVD that there wasn't any of the extras included. At the Convention they showed the extra host segments.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Corny Commentaries

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
Yes, I saw it in theaters! I was only 8 at the time but remember really cracking up - and oddly enough not many other people in the theater found it nearly as funny as my family and I did :D
Check out our iRiffs page for all of our riffs!

http://www.rifftrax.com/users/corny-commentaries

Offline chinagreenelvis

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
  • Incinerating Cinema
    • FilmRoasters | The Richmond FilmRoast
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »
I made it a point to find the one theater in a hundred miles that was showing it. Grammercy really screwed the pooch on that one. Seeing MST3K on the big screen is an unforgettable experience and I'm surprised that a follow-up hasn't been made in the vacuum since. But then, I'm also surprised that FireFly wasn't picked back up as a series a la Futurama, though I guess the broadcasts (?) of RiffTrax are probably similarly amazing.

Can't wait to see Cinematic Titanic when they hit D.C. in October, as I hope it will be just as unique an experience. We've been fortunate enough to do four live shows in a beautiful 1,300-seat movie theatre here in downtown Richmond. Unfortunately, the biggest audience we've had so far was just over 300, but there's nothing quite like seeing a movie riffed on the big screen, even when you're doing it yourself. Actually, I think I prefer doing it myself since I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut during certain kinds of films these days.