login

Author Topic: Okay what is the deal with Bones?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Okay what is the deal with Bones?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 06:38:59 AM »
she's a doctor not a... wait a minute...

HA!

I will never understand why writers in Hollywood don't think you can be smart and understand things like movies and people telling jokes too.  It's like the only smart person Tv writers know about is Mr.Spock so they write every smart person as Mr.Spock.

*raises eyebrow* Fascinating...

I will occasionally watch an episode if it sounds interesting. Some of the non case related stuff is fun. I remember one where Booth's kid is trying to hook him up with ladies. When Booth finally talks to the kid he learns that one of his son's friend's dad remarried and got a pool. So Booth son wants his dad to remarry thinking that that means HE will get a swimming pool. Hilarious little moment with great kid logic.

Mostly I've gotten into Criminal Minds.

I've been getting back into watching this on Netflix lately and I really like it. Bones's social awkwardness is explained by the abandonment of her family as a teenager (her parents disappeared, then her older brother left instead of taking care of her), which put her in the foster system until she came of age. She basically retreated into science to cope and therefore has a lot of difficulty dealing with emotions and long-term relationships. That said, it does get overdone sometimes, but the fact that her ineptitude with dealing with people just flies right over her head unless someone points it out can be amusing.

Honestly, the crime solving takes a serious back seat to the interpersonal relationships between the various characters. I always get a kick out of Hodgins and Angela (both together and separately), especially anything involving her dad. Not to mention that an ex-gf actually was friends in high school with Hodgins (TJ Thyne), so that adds a level of six-degree-ness (or less) to the show.

Offline Sass

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »
I've tried to watch this show, but I'm sorry, I just don't get it.  Why is it so popular???  Its not that interesting and the characters suck.  I really don't get why its been on the air so long..???
"You're gonna make this look better in post, right?"
"What the hell is post?  Keep flailing!!"

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
It does kind of puzzle me that this show has lasted so long on the network that canceled The critic,firefly,and the good guys after one short season.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Coragale

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
I enjoy the show a lot. It's like House, but it stayed decent after the 3rd Season.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
I think House was pretty good up until the point where the writers couldn't figure out what to do with a House who was dealing with his problems and even getting some sort of family life so they hit the reset button and just undid about five years of character developement and basicly had him go back to being who he was in season one.  Up until that point I felt like the show had an over all character arc but because the writers didn't know where to go with it they just decided to throw it out in the last season and a half or so,that is when I stopped watching.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »
OK, so I love the show, the cast is exceedingly doable for the most part and they all tend to work well together but you're right, Brennan is a problem. She's not like that in the books and she certainly isn't like the creator of the character (more on that in a minute)

There is a televisual shorthand that might be thought of as "Brilliance = Aspergers" and she is one of the best examples of it, because she's brilliant this leads to her being presented as very high functioning Autistic essentially.

This is a where the weakness of the TV version of the character lies, OK so she's hopeless at understanding any and I mean any social cues or cultural niceties, all-right fair enough, only, she's an anthropologist who writes thrillers on the side that supposedly have tons of naughty goings on in them. You simply can't do that if you have no idea how other humans work.

Also, the disdain for soft sciences like Psychology is a little odd seeing as Anthropology isn't exactly a super hard science.

Also she seems to use Psychology at least a little while making her Anthropological conclusions,so it's weird that she jumps on anyone else who does the exact same thing.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.