Author Topic: Okay what is the deal with Bones?  (Read 2734 times)

Doctor Who?

Okay what is the deal with Bones?
« on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
Between the fact that Stephen Fry turns up once in a while and the fact that I have so few stations to watch sometimes I end up watching Bones and i have to say I don't get it.  It's like CSI but what is up with the main character.  She doesn't seem to know that children's Tv exist,express or understand emotions,or really do anything human. I have yet to see an episode that explains this.  Is she a robot,alien,time traveler,or raised in Skinner box?  What is going on on this show?

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
Re: Okay what is the deal with Bones?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »
I've tried to watch this show a few times, but I just find the characters too bland and uninteresting.  I also find the forensics stuff to tired and over used to interest me.  So can't help you there Doc.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
Oh don't get me wrong I am not a fan the only reason I ever watch it is Stephen Fry.  I just want to know what is up with the tittle character,she comes off as a robot.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
Between the fact that Stephen Fry turns up once in a while and the fact that I have so few stations to watch sometimes I end up watching Bones and i have to say I don't get it.  It's like CSI but what is up with the main character.  She doesn't seem to know that children's Tv exist,express or understand emotions,or really do anything human. I have yet to see an episode that explains this.  Is she a robot,alien,time traveler,or raised in Skinner box?  What is going on on this show?

:D :D :D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:36:06 PM »
OK, so I love the show, the cast is exceedingly doable for the most part and they all tend to work well together but you're right, Brennan is a problem. She's not like that in the books and she certainly isn't like the creator of the character (more on that in a minute)

There is a televisual shorthand that might be thought of as "Brilliance = Aspergers" and she is one of the best examples of it, because she's brilliant this leads to her being presented as very high functioning Autistic essentially.

This is a where the weakness of the TV version of the character lies, OK so she's hopeless at understanding any and I mean any social cues or cultural niceties, all-right fair enough, only, she's an anthropologist who writes thrillers on the side that supposedly have tons of naughty goings on in them. You simply can't do that if you have no idea how other humans work.

Also, the disdain for soft sciences like Psychology is a little odd seeing as Anthropology isn't exactly a super hard science.

Ultimately this is the third Boreanaz show that I like a great deal while finding the title character more than a little naff (although the title character in this is by far the sexiest looking of the three).

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »
OK, so I love the show, the cast is exceedingly doable for the most part and they all tend to work well together but you're right, Brennan is a problem. She's not like that in the books and she certainly isn't like the creator of the character (more on that in a minute)

There is a televisual shorthand that might be thought of as "Brilliance = Aspergers" and she is one of the best examples of it, because she's brilliant this leads to her being presented as very high functioning Autistic essentially.

This is a where the weakness of the TV version of the character lies, OK so she's hopeless at understanding any and I mean any social cues or cultural niceties, all-right fair enough, only, she's an anthropologist who writes thrillers on the side that supposedly have tons of naughty goings on in them. You simply can't do that if you have no idea how other humans work.

Also, the disdain for soft sciences like Psychology is a little odd seeing as Anthropology isn't exactly a super hard science.

Ultimately this is the third Boreanaz show that I like a great deal while finding the title character more than a little naff (although the title character in this is by far the sexiest looking of the three).

Okay I guess I got confused because the show goes too far.  In something like House I get the impression that the character is human he just doesn't care about human emotions. In this show I get the impression the main character has never had an emotion and what is more has never heard of them. She comes off as more of an android then Data.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »

Agree on all the above.

And Boreanaz sure has had good luck with his shows.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »
Oh and I should have aded an extra bit of detail about the books she is the author of: They're the books the TV show is based on except the fictional character (who's much more like the actual Tempe of the books) has the name of the real life creator of Brennan, Kathy Reichs.

If you watch Bones for any length of time it's apparent that much of Brennan's biography is really Kathy's slightly altered (testifying about South American massacres rather than African ones etc.). The difference is she's by all accounts a lovely woman who is not prickly at all and is still brilliant, the weird automaton elements are there for some televisual reasons.

They do provide some explanation in the disappearance of her family and possibly a family proclivity towards that sort of awkwardness (I should try to find a clip from when Zoey turns up as a cousin) but my criticism about why that is silly still holds.

anais.jude

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »
Whatevs. Buffy is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hotter than any fucking Dechanel. I hate that family so much

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Whatevs. Buffy is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hotter than any fucking Dechanel. I hate that family so much

That goes for just about any female in Buffy or Angel

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
Aside from SMG, I'd agree. :)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »
I like the show.  I'd even call it one of the more smartly written crime dramas out there with excellent chemistry between the characters.  Other than the ridiculous "jump the shark" ending for season 3, I've enjoyed the show and the characters quite well.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7129
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
she's a doctor not a... wait a minute...
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »

HA!

I will never understand why writers in Hollywood don't think you can be smart and understand things like movies and people telling jokes too.  It's like the only smart person Tv writers know about is Mr.Spock so they write every smart person as Mr.Spock.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »

HA!

I will never understand why writers in Hollywood don't think you can be smart and understand things like movies and people telling jokes too.  It's like the only smart person Tv writers know about is Mr.Spock so they write every smart person as Mr.Spock.

*raises eyebrow* Fascinating...

I will occasionally watch an episode if it sounds interesting. Some of the non case related stuff is fun. I remember one where Booth's kid is trying to hook him up with ladies. When Booth finally talks to the kid he learns that one of his son's friend's dad remarried and got a pool. So Booth son wants his dad to remarry thinking that that means HE will get a swimming pool. Hilarious little moment with great kid logic.

Mostly I've gotten into Criminal Minds.