login

Author Topic: Dota 2 official teaser trailer  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
Dota 2 official teaser trailer
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »
And Valve officially makes me interested in RTS games:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-cSFPIwMEq4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-cSFPIwMEq4</a>

I'm sold.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Dota 2 official teaser trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:27:38 AM »
God dammit, what the hell does DOTA stand for?  I'm starting to hate how all games are referred to by their acronyms, and I can never understand what people are talking about.  I actually gave up trying to figure out what the name of this game was when valve announced that competition because no one called it by it's full name.  So I got all excited to watch this trailer so I could finally hear it called by its full name at the end.... and they called it fucking Dota 2.

So now I'm getting confused.  Is it really just called Dota?  That's kind of stupid if that's the case.... Someone please help me out.  What is this game called?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:35:38 AM »
This has been bugging me too. I've seen the capialization "Dota" so much I figured it must be the proper name, and everyone was excited about a sequel for some game I'd never heard of.

But you inspired me to do some digging and it turns out it's "Defense of the Ancients". So DotA (Which is about the only capitalization I've NEVER seen). I don't know why Valve's media machine has been so stubborn about not revealing the acronym source.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
Yeah, it's Defense of the Ancients 2. It was announced with that title - but because of the small controversy amongst fans with it being a sequel to a mod for a Blizzard game, Valve's probably trying to stay somewhat respectful to Blizzard and their fans by not using the full title.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
Yeah, it may have been a mod but I wouldn't be surprised if Blizz has copyright to the name somehow. I mean, if I tried to release a game called Starjeweled right now, I suspect in would end badly for me in a legal respect.

Plus, there's the possibility that someone else grabbed the name as well. Someone trademarked "Tower defense" well after the term entered common use and started suing.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
If you go here: http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/ you can sign up for the Beta, by the way.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:14 AM »