Author Topic: Batman: The Animated Series  (Read 16104 times)

Doctor Who?

Re: Batman: The Animated Series
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
G.I. Joe, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a couple of episodes of Batman all prove the rule that deadly violence is okay... as long as it happens to a robot.

More on that when we get to those episodes.

And that is why the robot will rise up against us one day.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
It's not as bad as GI Joe was in this regard.

Yeah how many times can you get blasted in the chest with a giant laser and be okay?

At least once according to our in-depth field testing during our iRiff recording sessions for G.I. Joe.   ;)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
It's not as bad as GI Joe was in this regard.

Yeah how many times can you get blasted in the chest with a giant laser and be okay?

At least once according to our in-depth field testing during our iRiff recording sessions for G.I. Joe.   ;)

As long as you have cartoon life insurance.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
In the re-watch I have noticed other things.  They make sure no one "dies", and make sure to explain that.

I'm watching the first episode with the League of Shadows.  Two assassins attack Batman and an informant, and the assassin manages to throw the informant off the Statue of Liberty (or whatever the Gotham equivalent is).  They make sure to show the guy land int eh water, then come up.  Batman then corners the two assassins, who use a gas on themselves, they show their faces and they look pretty dead.  Next scene batman said they used a mind-wiping gas.

I know it was a show for kids, but this episode just really stands out with them going out of their way to explain that no one died.

Which is funny, because making themselves braindead is essentially dead.  And sorry if I opened a can of worms with that statement.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »
So my rewatch has now taken me to the 4thbox set.  I honestly don't remember watching much of the show once the artstyle changes.  So far I think I was better off for it.  Obviously the changes were made to allow for faster, cheaper animation, but unfortunately the stores also seem to be a lot weaker.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Heard about it and (sadly) read the outline, but I don't think I've ever seen the entire thing.  Should be coming up shortly.  Be happy to see some great episodes, but so far it's been pretty meh.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »
Finished it up.  "Over the Edge" was a superb episode but I'd still say that it was very much the exception to the 4th DVD set.  Things just got a bit silly, and the villains all seemed to lose a bit of their personality from the previous incarnations.  Only change I liked was Penguin being a nightclub owner.

Russell

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
Almost Got 'im... I love that episode. Probably the best episode.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
Think my top 3 would probably be...

Beware the Gray Ghost
The Man Who Killed Batman
Heart of Ice

Russell

« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
Think my top 3 would probably be...
Beware the Gray Ghost
The Man Who Killed Batman
Heart of Ice
The man who killed Batman... that was a pretty hardcore episode! I mean Jesus the Joker
tries to kill a guy by dropping him in a vat of acid as Harley plays amazing grace on Kazoo!
That was just... classic.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
Currently watching Batman: TAS as the discs arrive from Netflix. Just watched "Pretty Poison" and the one thing that really struck my perverted little mind was that: I'm surprised they got away with the giant, fleshy, drooling venus fly trap that restrains Batman as he fights off a kiss from Poison Ivy, who mocks him for being afraid of "cooties".

Heh. I guess it's something kids wouldn't get, but it's just too obvious to adults.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2011, 06:07:19 AM »
Watching the first season right now. Just finished the first Killer Croc episode.

One thing that kinda jarred me a bit was a few times in the first few episodes there are moments of silence. No music.. just faint footsteps and other quiet SFX.

Overall great writing.

Best so far this season:

Feat of Clay
Two-Face
Heart of Ice
Grey Ghost

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
Ok was watching the clock king episode again.  Thats when it hit me.  Why does Bats always humor his villians themes?  oh the baddie this week really likes clocks bust out the clock puns.  he does it no matter who he is fighting.  It is kinda crazy. 

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2011, 10:17:22 PM »
Something I noticed in rewatching "Pretty Poison".  The credits list, under additional voices, "Melissa Manchester AS Neil Ross".  For those that don't recognize the name, Neil Ross is a pretty prominent voice actor who's been in the biz at least since the 80's, starting with shows like G.I. Joe and Transformers and the like.  And the doctor sounds like Neil Ross.  Yet the credits say "Melissa Manchester AS Neil Ross".  Implying that Neil Ross is the name of a character, not one of the performers.  My guess is they meant to say "Melissa Manchester AND Neil Ross" and messed up.  Also, I wonder if they hired a soundalike for some of Bullock's lines, because he sounds different in this episode.  Finally, I noticed a couple of the waiters sounded suspiciously like Kevin Conroy and Bob Hastings with French accents.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2431
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
I'm hoping to get back to reviewing these soon, unfortunately most of my DVDs are packed. I'm really going through Batman withdrawal here.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky