Author Topic: Batman: The Animated Series  (Read 16154 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: Batman: The Animated Series
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2011, 11:02:28 PM »
Christmas with the joker aka christmas in whatever the hell summer month it is currently

So again with random comments.

Mark hamill hasnt quite found his voice yet

HEY batman has cable in his car how is that possible?

How do you gag someone with a candy cane?  Just spit them out.

Ok bats one liner about is awesome:

Robin: you have never seen its a wonderful life?
Batman:  I could never get past the title.

So wonderfully perfect for batman

Awesome use of the nutcracker score lol

Why does Joker have a paunch

gothems big problem is they have a full fledged henchmen industry.

How did the joker sneak a rocket christmas tree into arkham? 

ya know if he let the joker die lives would be saved.  Just saying.

Good episode.  Felt much longer than the previous episode.  Amazing how is in there that is totally for adults like a few of the one liners.  Also the opening is STILL surprisingly epic.  Can't wait for episode three.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:16 PM »
Nothing to fear aka OOOOH must be scarecrow

Random observations:

is Bruce hitting on the ginger reporter?

heh the Drs speech= FUCK U WAYNE

yup a scare crow episode and why is a scare crow supposed to be scary to people

who has a henchmen named Nigel?

heh batman has a gas mask lol

Uh why does detective bullock have such a problem with batman.

wow the fear wing of the university is freaken huge.

did batman get his chicken soup?  the world may never know.

How come no one is scared of anything weird?  Like cupcakes or ATM machines?

Ok so apparently scarecrow capers.

Wow so episode three and we already have the iconic I AM BATMAN speech.  Not bad at all. 

is it easy to hide a glider in an urban setting? 

My thoughts:

So first episode hinting at bats origins.  Some awesome scenes here.  On top of that we get an intro to a neat character.  Pretty good not great.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2451
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2011, 05:07:18 AM »
Trying to catch up, and streamline things a bit.  Figure I'll skimp a bit on the synopsis if you don't mind.

Episode 4:  The Last Laugh

Oh please, just one more.

Synopsis:  On April Fools Day, Joker sails through the rivers of Gotham on a huge garbage barge that lets out a massive cloud of chemical gas, making everyone who breathes it laugh uncontrollably and act crazy.  He and his henchmen use the cover of laughing fits to stage leisurely robberies while wearing protective masks.  Batman starts to investigate, learning that prolonged exposure to the gas could cause permanent insanity, which is especially troubling after Alfred is exposed to it.  With his gas mask in place, the chase begins with Batman tracking the barge in the Batboat.  He easily fights off the standard-issue clown-masked henchmen, but he's stopped by what turns out to be a huge robot.  Trapped in a metal canister, Batman is dumped in the water, almost drowning before calling the Batboat with a remote on his belt to cut the canister open with a laser.  Finally Batman tracks the crew to a waste disposal plant.  Fighting the henchmen again, Batman pulls off the masks, leaving them helpless in the gas.  He fights the "Captain Clown" robot again, eventually trapping it in a compactor and crushing it into a cube.  Finally he chases the Joker through the plant until Joker trips on a cable and almost falls into an incinerator.

Well...it was better than the last Joker episode.  In some ways it seemed like it was getting everything better.  Joker was still funny, but the over-the-top cartoonyness seemed in better control.  The clown robot was pretty silly, but Joker's reaction to its defeat "You killed Captain Clown!  YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN!" made it all worthwhile.  This marks the first time in the animated series that the Joker uses a gas attack, something that tends to become a Joker trademark.  Seems to be an easy way to make a dangerous situation without seeming too violent for television.

Just when I thought they'd improved everything at least a little compared to Christmas with the Joker, they give us the exact same damn ending!  Once again we get robbed on a last fight with Batman because the Joker just runs down a catwalk and trips, falling over a railing.  Why the hell can't Joker stay away from railings?  This time we get a moment of Joker begging though.  "You wouldn't let me fry, would you Batman?" showing Batman acting casual like he just might...for a second.

I think we all know that if the Micheal Keaton Batman was here, Joker would have died twice by now.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2011, 08:51:49 AM »
The score for this episode is one of my favorites from the whole series, mostly because of the theme composed for the episode.  It's so unlike any other score from the show with the use of percussion.  Also the Danny Elfman theme makes another appearance, this time as Batman chases Joker on the conveyer belt. 

And yeah, the "you killed captain clown" line is probably my favorite Joker line from the whole series.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Doctor Who?

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
The score for this episode is one of my favorites from the whole series, mostly because of the theme composed for the episode.  It's so unlike any other score from the show with the use of percussion.  Also the Danny Elfman theme makes another appearance, this time as Batman chases Joker on the conveyer belt. 

And yeah, the "you killed captain clown" line is probably my favorite Joker line from the whole series.

I love the score for that episode too.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2451
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2011, 03:44:54 PM »
Episode 5:  Pretty Poison

We really should take more Batman villains from Alice Cooper songs.

Synopsis:  Years after the construction of Blackgate prison, championed by Harvey Dent, Gotham isn't quite as safe as intended.  Batman tracks down an escapee from the prison, while Harvey is left waiting at a restaurant along with his girlfriend Pamela Isley for his friend Bruce Wayne to arrive.  Bruce finally arrives, late as usual, and they have a pleasant dinner until Pam has to leave.  After a long kiss goodbye, Harvey turns to Bruce and reveals that he's asked Pam to marry him.  While Bruce is still dealing with the shock of the wedding news, Harvey suddenly collapses at the table and has to be rushed to the hospital.  The doctor who examines him reveals to Bruce and the police that Harvey was poisoned.  Bruce steals a sample of Harvey's blood to analyze the poison, finding it comes from the Wild Thorny Rose.  He plans to synthesize an antidote from the plant, but Alfred breaks the news that that strain of rose is extinct.  After checking on Harvey again at the hospital he runs into Pamela.  When they take a moment to comfort each other, Pam seems to go to kiss Bruce, but Bruce avoids it and just hugs her.  Leaving, he calls Alfred to check on Pamela's background, finding out that she has a PhD in Botany, works as a chemist for a cosmetics company, and is considered an expert in rare and extinct plant life.  As Batman, he tracks down her greenhouse/laboratory and breaks in, where he's captured by a giant fly trap.  Pam reveals herself in her full "Poison Ivy" persona, going into her Bond-villain monologue.  She reveals that she poisoned Harvey with her lipstick as revenge, since the construction of the prison he built almost wiped out the Wild Thorny Rose entirely.  She dug up the only surviving plant before the groundbreaking and used it as the base of her attack.  With Batman still captured, she kisses him with the poison too, teasing him by showing the antidote she's already made.  When Batman fights out of the trap, cutting through the tentacle-like vines of the fly trap with a knife, Ivy becomes enraged and starts shooting at Batman with a small crossbow on her wrist.  Batman dodges the darts, one of them accidentally ripping through the main body of the fly trap.  As the fight continues, an overhead lamp crashes and starts a raging fire.  Ivy almost drops Batman down a trap door leading to a pit of deadly spiky plants, but Batman keeps hold of the edge and reveals at the last moment that he's picked up the rose bush in it's planter, threatening to destroy it if Ivy doesn't trade him the antidote.  She agrees and they both escape the fire.  With the antidote, both Batman and Harvey make a complete recovery.  Bruce reveals in the hospital that he doesn't think Pam is wife material.  Ivy gets locked up in Stonegate, allowed to keep the rose with her, vowing that "they can bury us deep, but we always grow back..."

This was my first introduction to the Poison Ivy character as a kid, and the first "Batman hot chick" we find in the series unless you count Summer Gleeson...and I don't think anyone does just because she's so minor a character.  While I do like some of the more recent comics I've seen with Ivy when she's depicted as a green-skinned mutated life form more plant than human, I think there's something to be said for this version where she's just human.  Incredibly intelligent and dangerously twisted, but human.  She doesn't just naturally excrete venom or send out pheromones, she has to perfect her own combinations of chemicals to hide in her lipstick or perfume, showing off her intellect while turning archetypal symbols of femininity into deadly weapons.  Eventually in the animated series (when we get to the changeover of style) Ivy does shift from this version to the half-plant version and it always bugged me that they never really explain that, but we'll get to that when I review those episodes.

There's a lot that gets me smiling when watching this episode.  Even though I end up rolling my eyes a bit at Ivy's long winded speeches, I do like the character and the way she feels so totally justified in killing any mere human who would dare murder a plant.  A femme fatale character done right is a great thing.  Also I like the way they keep establishing Harvey, by now he feels like a well rounded sympathetic character.  Showing the friendship between him and Bruce adds another layer on that.  The flashback to the groundbreaking of the prison with Bruce and Harvey standing side by side was a good start, and the juxtaposition of Batman chasing down a criminal while Harvey tells Pam "there's nothing we don't know about each other" was a great follow up.  

Also, I should point out, since I haven't yet, so far every episode has put an emphasis on Batman as the detective.  True a lot of his detective work involves sitting at the Batcomputer, but it still helps keep the show feeling smart.  Before this most of my exposure to Batman detective work involved him sitting around reading Frank Gorshin's letters while Robin spouts out the answers as Batman responds "right!"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:07:23 AM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
Also I like the way they keep establishing Harvey, by now he feels like a well rounded sympathetic character.  Showing the friendship between him and Bruce adds another layer on that.

Yeah, I love that dynamic, and I sort of wish we had even more episodes with Harvey as Bruce's friend before he became Two-Face. I think if the series was being done today with more of a focus on continuity and story arcs, "Two-Face" would have been the first season finale.

I also agree with your observation of Batman as a detective. I love how after there have been notable live action takes on Batman, the first filmed version to really play up the detective angle is the children's cartoon--a medium often dismissed as "mindless action".

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
In re-watching the show, I totally forgot how long it took to introduce Riddler.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »
It was the Joker's eyes that bugged me in the later seasons.

You give those eyes to talking puppies. Not crazed lunatics. :^)

Actually, the eyes were the one part of the Joker redesign I liked.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2011, 11:33:04 PM »
It was still one of my favorite shows after the change, just prefer the way it was before.  I kind of understand why they did the changes, they wanted to be able to present Batman and Superman in a block and even do a their "Worlds Finest" crossover movie/three parter episodes, and if they put Batman as designed next to Superman as designed it would have been grating to look at.  They needed a cohesive style.  Just a matter of personal taste.

At this point, talking about the show again, I'm tempted to steal anais's idea from her Star Trek thread and just watch the show from beginning to end, revisiting each episode and posting a review here.  True, she's watching shows for the first time, so it won't have the same kind of impact, but could still be fun.  I can keep it in this thread to keep the discussions going, and anyone else can join in with their own reviews.  Whats everyone else think?

I blieve there were also budget cuts so they needed to chenge the style to something that would take less time to animated.  I don't think the WB gave them as much money as Fox.

But the creators also had less content restrictions on WB.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2011, 06:35:54 AM »
In the re-watch I have noticed other things.  They make sure no one "dies", and make sure to explain that.

I'm watching the first episode with the League of Shadows.  Two assassins attack Batman and an informant, and the assassin manages to throw the informant off the Statue of Liberty (or whatever the Gotham equivalent is).  They make sure to show the guy land int eh water, then come up.  Batman then corners the two assassins, who use a gas on themselves, they show their faces and they look pretty dead.  Next scene batman said they used a mind-wiping gas.

I know it was a show for kids, but this episode just really stands out with them going out of their way to explain that no one died.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07:47 AM »
And thats why i found Under the red hood so excellent.  At the heart was a pretty excellent discussion on batmans methods and the morality of not killing.  Although i found Batmans explanation a little weak. 

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
Yeah, it does get a little absurd how they'll avoid letting anyone think for more than a second that it's possible that anyone dies in the course of an episode.  I'm pretty sure there's at least one episode where a character who was not previously seen wearing a parachute suddenly opens a parachute in mid-fall.  I can't think which one it is.

I'm glad Mask of the Phantasm didn't have as many restraints as the regular series did in that regard. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
It's not as bad as GI Joe was in this regard.

Yeah how many times can you get blasted in the chest with a giant laser and be okay?

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
G.I. Joe, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a couple of episodes of Batman all prove the rule that deadly violence is okay... as long as it happens to a robot.

More on that when we get to those episodes.