Author Topic: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters  (Read 55593 times)

Russell

Re: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
I'm pleased... there's never been a series of puns that I was a part of that resulted in an angry mob before.  ;D
You know what they're chanting right? "ROWSDAUER SAVES US AND SAVES ALL THE WORRRRLLLLDDD!!!"

anais.jude

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 06:28:34 PM »
#42 – Data

(31 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 6 (FlockofRabidSheep) Voted by: Johnny Unusual, FlockofRabidSheep

Full Name: Lieutenant Commander Data
Planet of Origin: Technically Omicron Theta,  but do androids really have a planet of origin? I mean really
Position: Second Officer and Chief Operations Officer, Comic Relief, Droid

Known For: Yellow skin, somehow having been created with the ability to do “it,” being annoying more than funny

Sci Fi Themes: He’s a frickin android trying to determine how humans act so he can be more like one. What’s more sci fi than that?

Dossier: Created by a man who isn’t Khan (despite the similar last name), named Dr. Noonien Soong, Data has spent his time tyring to be human while offering social commentary on the human race. Apparently, he sacrificed himself to save Picard in one of the movies I never bothered watching.

anais.jude

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
#41 – The Master (not the dude from Buffy or Manos)

(31 Points) 3 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 13 (TripeHoundRedux) Voted by: Doctor Who?, TripeHoundRedux, FlockofRabidSheep

Full Name: Unknown. The Master is merely a name he gave to himself
Planet of Origin: Gallifrey
Position: Antagonist
Known For: Being crazy and wanting to kill the Doctor just because

Sci Fi Themes: The antithesis of the common hero, agelessness, infinite knowledge of time/space creates insanity.

Dossier: A Time Lord from the same planet and school as our hero, David Tennant, The Master is just as intelligent as The Doctor, but has plenty more evil to go around. What his motivation is has never been stated, but he wants The Doctor gone, the world to obey him and, knowing British stereotypes, he loves Tea.

anais.jude

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
#40 – V

(32 Points) 3 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 9 (Johnny Unusual) Voted by: Johnny Unusual, Gunflyer, D. B. Barnes

Full Name: Unknown
Planet of Origin: Earth (Alternative Reality)
Position: Anarchist and Metaphor
Known For: Wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and being a representation of anarchy and fighting for one’s right (to party)

Sci Fi Themes: The importance of the message over the messager, defeating the evil overlord, the importance of freedom, human experimentation is bad

Dossier: Nothing is known of V’s life before being captured and experimented on in a concentration camp. What is known is that being in concentration camp pissed V off pretty damn bad because he decided to blow up a parliament and all the idiots inside it. Although an allegory for the original Guy Fawkes, V has yet to get his own special day.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
well i spaced out on my list.  will be interested to see the results though
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

anais.jude

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2011, 06:31:57 PM »
#39 – Scotty

(33 Points) 4 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 12 (Gofyblind and FlockofRabidSheep) Voted by: Doctor Who?, Gofyblind, FlockofRabidSheep, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Montgomery "Scotty" Scott
Planet of Origin: Earth
Position: Chief Engineer, Chief Stereotype, Chief Giver of all She’s Got

Known For: Gaining quite a bit of weight between the Star Trek TV series and the movies, doing the most amazing, and somewhat unbelievable, things with the Starship Enterprise, refusing to do that Futurama episode and getting replaced by “Welshy”

Sci Fi Themes: Knowledge and understanding of electronics like they are human, red shirts don’t have to die first, unconventional knowledge and skill saves the day over doing things “by the book”

Dossier: Scotty was born in Scotland (conveniently), went to Star Fleet, somehow lost Admiral Archer’s dog, and rocked the Star Trek universe as the doer of all things cool on the Enterprise. Seriously, had Star Trek been originally conceived (not re-imagined) in this time period, Scotty would be the Vin Diesel of the Star Trek world, and Star Trek 3 would have been called “The Search for a Place to Tokyo Drift”

anais.jude

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
#38 – Obi-Wan Kenobi

(33 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 6 (D. B. Barnes) Voted by: D. B. Barnes, Imrahil

Full Name: Ben “Obi-Wan” Kenobi…aka Obi-Wannnna Martini
Planet of Origin: Stewjon
Position: Jedi Master, Fucker-Up of Anakin’s training
Known For: Being the father figure to Luke Skywalker and taking him on some damn foolish crusade, talking about the force and getting his own way because of that damn “point of view” loophole

Sci Fi Themes: Extreme calm and awareness of ones surrounding, good over evil, placing all the force into one’s facial hair

Dossier: Obi-Wan is introduced in Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope. Having been conveniently waiting for Luke to do something stupid, Obi-Wan gives Luke his father’s light saber, takes Luke to the most retched hide of scum and villainy, and then admits that he fucked up Vader’s training. By this time, we all realize Obi-Wan kind of sucked as a Jedi and then he dies. Somehow, though, he has shown up in all the major Star Wars movies/TV specials except that one….

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »
No Ainley? Boooooo

I'll be back for V when I'm not on my phone...

anais.jude

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
Ainley?

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
Oh dear. I hate to do this, but I had Data at #9.   :-[

It's probably too much of a hassle at this point to fix it.

EDIT: Don't worry about it. This is karma for screwing up Johnny Unusual's #1 guilty pleasure movie.

How ironic is it that this also screws one of his picks?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:54:46 PM by D.B. Barnes »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 06:49:51 PM »

Watchman

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »
Jesus, I'm feeling really alienated so far! Not a single one of my characters. Not even the luxury of a #50 tiebreaker. At this point very few of my votes are likely to be shared by others.

I hope, at least, Anais will use some of my bonus Worst/Dumbest/Silliest Sci-Fi Characters.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »
Although an allegory for the original Guy Fawkes, V has yet to get his own special day.

Not sure allegory is the right word there.

I like V for Vendetta I really do, but it has caused one of my personal bugbears to come into existence (I really think the film is what did this); people who completely misunderstand what the Gun Powder Plot was all about.

Hint: The real Guido Fawkes would have had more in common with Suttler than V, well perhaps Fawkes' employers would have.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5042
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
Well, had I not tried to do my list at one sitting (early the morning it was due), I likely would've remembered The Master, and decided to put 'V' on my list.  Ah, well... such are the vicissitudes of all Lists of Crap.  :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
Although an allegory for the original Guy Fawkes, V has yet to get his own special day.

Not sure allegory is the right word there.

I like V for Vendetta I really do, but it has caused one of my personal bugbears to come into existence (I really think the film is what did this); people who completely misunderstand what the Gun Powder Plot was all about.

Hint: The real Guido Fawkes would have had more in common with Suttler than V, well perhaps Fawkes' employers would have.

Well, that's the thing with symbols, they are often perverted (or anti-perverted in the case of the Christian cross).

Wait, did you just use the fascist leader from the movie and not the comic.  Muttter Mutter.  Admittedly, the name of the leader from the comic escapes me, except that it sounds kinda gay.  Just looked it up.  It's Susan.  Feminine, I guess, but I was thinking it was Ladyfeather or something.

Dossier: Nothing is known of V’s life before being captured and experimented on in a concentration camp. What is known is that being in concentration camp pissed V off pretty damn bad because he decided to blow up a parliament and all the idiots inside it.

I don't think he blew up parliament because he was pissed off.  I always felt that he was mad about what happened, but despite the title "V for Vendetta," it was more about defeating the government and not the people who make it up (though quite a few of them die).

I always loved the speech he gives via the TV.

Good evening, London. I thought it time we had a little talk. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...
I suppose you're wondering why I've called you here this evening. Well you see, I'm not entirely satisfied with your performance lately…. I'm afraid your work's been slipping, and...and well, I'm afraid we've been thinking about letting you go.

Oh, I know, I know. You've been with the company a long time now. Almost...Let me see. Almost ten thousand years! My word, doesn't time fly? It seems like only yesterday… I remember the day you commenced your employment, swinging down from the trees, fresh-faced and nervous, A bone clasped in your bristling fist... "Where do I start, sir?" You asked, plaintively.

I recall my exact words: "There's a pile of dinosaur eggs over there, youngster," I said smiling paternally the while. "Get sucking."

Well, we've certainly come a long way since then, haven’t we? And yes, yes, you're right, in all that time you haven’t missed a day. Well done, thou good and faithful servant. Also please don't think I've forgotten about your out-standing service record, or about all of the invaluable contributions that you've made to the company... Fire ,the wheel of agriculture...It's an impressive list, old-timer. A jolly impressive list. Don't get me wrong.

But...well, to be frank, we've had our problems ,too. There's no getting away from it. Do you know what I think a lot of it stems from? I'll tell you... It's your basic unwillingness to get on within the company. You don't seem to want to face up to any real responsibility, or to be your own boss. Lord knows, you've been given plenty of opportunities...We've offered you promotion time and time again, and each time you've turned us down. :"I couldn't handle the work, Guv'nor," you wheedled. "I know my place"

To be frank, you're not trying, are you? You see, you've been standing still for far too long, and it's starting to show in your work....And I might add, in your general standard behaviour. The constant bickering on the factory floor has not escaped my attention...Nor the recent bouts of rowdiness in the staff canteen. Then of course there's....Hmmmm. Well, I didn't really want to have to bring this up, but...Well, you see I've been hearing some disturbing rumours about your personal life.

No, never you mind who told me. No names, no pack drill...I understand that you are unable to get on with your spouse. I hear that you argue. I am told that you shout. Violence has been mentioned. I am reliably informed that you always hurt the one you love...The one you shouldn't hurt at all.
And what about the children? It's always the children who suffer, as you're well aware. Poor little mites. What are they to make of it? What are they to make of your bullying, your despair, your cowardice and all your fondly nurtured bigotries? Really, it's not good enough, is it? And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either ...

Though, to be sure, the management is very bad. In fact, let us not mince words ... the management is terrible! We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact.

But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate.

You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines.

All you had to say was "NO." You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company. I will however, be generous. You will be granted two years to show me some improvement in your work. If at the end of that time you are still unwilling to make a go of it...You're fired.
That will be all. You may return to your labors"

This isn't a man threatening the government.  This is a man threatening humanity.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to talk about Data.  Great character, and I don't find him annoying... except when he gets emotions.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:44:04 PM by Johnny Unusual »