login

Author Topic: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters  (Read 52768 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: Top 0011010100110000 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
That explains the leading zeroes as well, as it would be two sets of 8 bits (i.e., 2 bytes)

anais.jude

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »
Anyway....nerds, tell me what number I should use and I will update :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »

anais.jude

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »

Done :)

I still prefer the Binary Solo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTjolEUj00g?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CTjolEUj00g?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
Well thanks Pan for that! I didn't think it was that bad/obscure a reference. :)

anais.jude

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
#45 – Yoda

(30 Points) 3 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 10 (D.B. Barnes) Voted by: PakMan, Gofyblind, D. B. Barnes

Full Name: Yoda….Y—O—D—A…Yoda
Planet of Origin: Yoda's race and home world have never been stated in any media, canonical or otherwise, and he is merely stated to be of a "species unknown" by the Star Wars Databank…. (I TOTALLY never knew that! Neat)
Position: Jedi Mah-sta
Known For: Convincing people to think that stupid-ass excuse for syntax he calls a language is cute, saying some awesome one-liners.

Sci Fi Themes: Judging people not by one’s size, ultimate control over one’s environment, living in a swamp is the secret to long lasting life.

Dossier: As just recently discovered by the interviewer (through Wikipedia), not much is known about Yoda. But I recall the following story:
I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda
S-O-D-A, soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "Yoda"
Y-O-D-A, Yoda
Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda

anais.jude

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
#44 – Zapp Brannigan

(31 Points) 3 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 7 (Anais.T.Kirk) Voted by: D. B. Barnes, FlockofRabidSheep, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Captain, 25 Star General, Rear Brigadier, General Major Webelo, and Commodore 64 Zapp Brannigan
Planet of Origin: Earth
Position: Incompetent Captain, Leela’s Ex-Looover, Author of “Zapp Brannigan’s Little Book of War”
Known For: Hyperbolizing the negative, and therefore comical, elements of Captain James T. Kirk….also, suffering from a very sexy learning disability.

Sci Fi Themes: Incompetence is sexy, the amazing ability of sci-fi captains to escape a little too often.

Dossier:
Zapp Brannigan’s heroic feets include, but are not limited to:
•   Carpet bombed Eden 7
•   Defeated the pacifists of the Gandhi nebula
•   Conquered the Retiree People of the Assisted Living Nebula
•   Single-handedly defeated the "weak and womanlike" Spiderians of Tarantulon 6
•   Defeated the Killbots in the Auctlian system
•   Mated with a woman

anais.jude

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
#44 –  Commander/William Adama

(31 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 14 – (Adama 1987) by Doctor Who? / Number 8 by Anais.T.Kirk

Ok, I totally misread Doctor Who’s list. Technically, I don’t think Commander Adama and William Adama are the same, but it would be a huge hassle to re-do the calculations (because I don’t have my list anymore and I don’t think you guys want to wait for it)

Full Name: Commander Adama / Admiral William “Husker” Adama
Planet of Origin: Caprica
Position: Captain of the aforementioned Battlestar Gallactica, owner of a bitchin ‘stach (new series only)
Known For: Being a fair and beloved leader with almost unquestioned authority (both series)

Sci Fi Themes: The pressure of leadership in a science fiction environment, the importance of spirituality among leaders, the importance of political knowledge among leaders (all around awesome guy)

Dossier: Both Adama’s were Captain of “Battlestar Gallactica” a battleship that (for the majority of the series), was believed to be the only surviving people of the second Cyclon attack.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »
#44 –  Commander/William Adama

(31 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 14 – (Adama 1987) by Doctor Who? / Number 8 by Anais.T.Kirk

Ok, I totally misread Doctor Who’s list. Technically, I don’t think Commander Adama and William Adama are the same, but it would be a huge hassle to re-do the calculations (because I don’t have my list anymore and I don’t think you guys want to wait for it)

Full Name: Commander Adama / Admiral William “Husker” Adama
Planet of Origin: Caprica
Position: Captain of the aforementioned Battlestar Gallactica, owner of a bitchin ‘stach (new series only)
Known For: Being a fair and beloved leader with almost unquestioned authority (both series)

Sci Fi Themes: The pressure of leadership in a science fiction environment, the importance of spirituality among leaders, the importance of political knowledge among leaders (all around awesome guy)

Dossier: Both Adama’s were Captain of “Battlestar Gallactica” a battleship that (for the majority of the series), was believed to be the only surviving people of the second Cyclon attack.

That's fine.  I will just make it clear I voted for the 78 version of the character.

Russell

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »
#44 – Zapp Brannigan

(31 Points) 3 of 18 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 7 (Anais.T.Kirk) Voted by: D. B. Barnes, FlockofRabidSheep, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Captain, 25 Star General, Rear Brigadier, General Major Webelo, and Commodore 64 Zapp Brannigan
Planet of Origin: Earth
Position: Incompetent Captain, Leela’s Ex-Looover, Author of “Zapp Brannigan’s Little Book of War”
Known For: Hyperbolizing the negative, and therefore comical, elements of Captain James T. Kirk….also, suffering from a very sexy learning disability.

Sci Fi Themes: Incompetence is sexy, the amazing ability of sci-fi captains to escape a little too often.

Dossier:
Zapp Brannigan’s heroic feets include, but are not limited to:
•   Carpet bombed Eden 7
•   Defeated the pacifists of the Gandhi nebula
•   Conquered the Retiree People of the Assisted Living Nebula
•   Single-handedly defeated the "weak and womanlike" Spiderians of Tarantulon 6
•   Defeated the Killbots in the Auctlian system
•   Mated with a woman

Zap Rowsdauer?

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4840
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
Excellent (and funny) summaries for the characters, anais.T Kirk!  It makes even reading about characters I don't care about worthwhile.   ;D

#47 – The Prisoner

(29 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Johnny Unusual and LucasM

I really wasn't sure any of my selections would get on the final list.  Now (after seeing this, and some of the subsequent winners) I have a bit more hope that more will turn up.  Oh, and :highfive: to JU for also voting for "#6".
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5615
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
  Oh, and :highfive: to JU for also voting for "#6".

HE IS NOT A NUMBER!  HE'S A FREE MAN!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4840
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 07:52:35 PM »
  Oh, and :highfive: to JU for also voting for "#6".
HE IS NOT A NUMBER!  HE'S A FREE MAN!

Indeed, most likely - tho never stated - John Drake aka "Danger Man" (in the US aka "Secret Agent", for which there was a hit song with the lyrics, "they're givin' you a number... and takin' 'way your name" a little too 'on the nose' to be ignored as "#6"'s situation).

I suppose I should have referred to him as " 'The Free Man' (from 'The Prisoner') who was repeatedly called #6".  But that's a tad unwieldy. ;)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5615
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »
In the last episode, he is simply referred to as "the Prisoner," which is interesting since this was after he escaped.  Someone pointed out that in a way, his battle will go on, but now he's a prisoner to the world at large (still a hopeful ending though, since he seems up to the challenge).  Sort of reminds me of the tagline of the Howard the Duck comics: "Trapped in a World he Never Made."  I always liked that, since it's not just Howard's situation, it's the human condition.