login

Author Topic: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters  (Read 55660 times)

anais.jude

Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters
« on: August 14, 2011, 06:58:11 PM »
Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters

Greetings again, my friends and fellow nerds. Here we meet again to discuss the results of our findings. From each of us, a list was contributed. 25 Science Fiction characters, the greatest of all, were ranked on this list. The number one pick selected, no doubt through much scientific scrutiny to determine his or her value, was worth 25 points, number 2 was worth 24 points, and so on. This system proving to be flawless, I now present to you, the Top 0011010100110000 Sci-Fi Characters.

And some extra ones thrown in for fun.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:37:11 PM by anais.T Kirk »

anais.jude

Re: Top 0011010100110000 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »
# 50- The Brigadier

(28 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Doctor Who? And Compound

Full Name: Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart
Planet of Origin: Earth
Position: Scientific Advisor for UNIT
Known For: “Facing the unknown with unflappable British aplomb.”
                                Having a Mustache (or so it seems to me from his photo)
Sci Fi Themes: Military action over passive or intelligent strategy

Dossier: Born an orphan, made a man in WW2, and then the head of the UK’s  permanent military intelligence group with rapid-reaction capabilities, which investigates alien and other unusual phenomena which might threaten the security of the nation….or whatever that means. Based on what I do know about the Doctor Who-verse, The Brigadier almost seems like the precursor to Captain Jack.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:08:51 PM by anais.T Kirk »

anais.jude

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »
#49 – John Locke

(29 Points) 4 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Invader Quirk, Cole Stratton, D. B. Barnes, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: John Locke
Position: Box Factory Worker, Island Prophet, Tryer of Killing Jacob
Known For: Being the “man of faith” on the island versus Jack Shepard’s “man of science”
Sci Fi Themes: Faith vs. Science, Why “blind faith” is bad, the irresistible power of bald men in sci fi shows.

Dossier: Child of a jerkface con man and a crazy woman, John Locke has always had a destiny to be on that Lost island. Too bad he was (spoiler) and then he (spoiler), followed by (spoiler). John Locke represents an important philosophical element to the show and was always a fan favorite

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:09:45 PM by anais.T Kirk »

anais.jude

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
#48 – Dr. Lazarus

(29 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Cole Stratton, Imrahil

Full Name: Dr. Lazarus of Tev'Meck (Sir Alexander Dane)
Planet of Origin: Tev/Meck and Earth
Position: Science Officer...?  Probably that
Known For: Having fish guils for a head, being extremely knowledgeable and scientific, being the classy and well trained actor alongside a hack in reference to someone.
Sci Fi Themes: Elegance in knowledge, Grapthor’s Hammer, Inability to suspend disbelief.
Dossier: a member of an alien species renowned for their intellect, Lazarus has a pretentious catchphrase: "By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!" and is played by an actor that resents both his catchphrase and being typecast. Also, pretty frickin hilarious!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
# 50- The Brigadier

Position: Scientific Advisor for UNIT
Known For: “Facing the unknown with unflappable British aplomb.”
        Having a Mustache (or so it seems to me from his photo)
Sci Fi Themes: Military action over passive or intelligent strategy

Dossier: Born an orphan, mad a man in WW2, and then the head of the UK’s  permanent military intelligence group with rapid-reaction capabilities, which investigates alien and other unusual phenomena which might threaten the security of the nation….or whatever that means. Based on what I do know about the Doctor Who-verse, The Brigadier almost seems like the precursor to Captain Jack.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Courtney was a real class act and made even the weakest story(Battlefield)worth watching.

anais.jude

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:04:49 PM »

#47 – The Prisoner

(29 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Johnny Unusual and LucasM

Full Name: Unknown, but he is also referred to as Number 6
Position: Ex Secret Agent
Known For: Being trippy and mysterious at the same time, being chased by giant ass bubbles, and being parodied by Homer Simpson
Sci Fi Themes: Utopia, Dystopia, Controlled Identity, Big Ass Bubbles

Dossier: Little is known of Number 6’s life before the show begins. Instead, the show focuses on how the antagonists reacts to the surrealism he is in. Also, later he was turned into the guy that played Jesus in Passion of the Christ.

anais.jude

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
#46 – Sam Beckett

(30 Points) 3 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Gunflyer, Compound, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Samuel John Beckett
Position: Time Traveller, Do Gooder
Known For: Saying “Oh Boy” in a comical manner after “leaping” into new situations, not taking advantage of his position to get laid and/or look at hot chicks (much to Al’s chagrin), getting a big middle finger from God in the series finales
Sci Fi Themes: Changing history, the morality of changing history, how Al gets so many chicks
Dossier: Sam Beckett was born in Indiana. He was super smart, had a brother who died in Vietnam, a sister who married an abusive husband, and a father who died of heart disease. Oh wait, no he didn’t, because he ignored his own rules to make his life better but didn’t do the same for Al….actually, maybe the ending of the series was justified.

anais.jude

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Special Category: Biggest Horndog Scifi Character – Al

(0 Points) 1 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Rear Admiral Upper Half Albert “Al” Calavicci
Position: Sam Beckett’s Gal Friday, Hologram, Comic Relief
Known For: Abusing Sam’s position to see pretty ladies, hitting his hand held device
Sci Fi Themes: Visual representation to matter projected through time and space
Dossier: Al had a pretty hard knock life. Orphaned because his mom died and his Dad couldn’t handle the stress, had to take care of a sister with Down Syndrome, went to Nam, got tortured, came back to find his wife had….ya know what, let’s focus less on that and more on the fact that Al’s multi-layered past was always there to inspire Sam to do the right thing. Go Al!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
GAH! I can't believe I forgot to include Quantum Leap characters on my list! I loved that show as a kid.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »
Special Category: Biggest Horndog Scifi Character – Al

(0 Points) 1 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Rear Admiral Upper Half Albert “Al” Calavicci
Position: Sam Beckett’s Gal Friday, Hologram, Comic Relief
Known For: Abusing Sam’s position to see pretty ladies, hitting his hand held device
Sci Fi Themes: Visual representation to matter projected through time and space
Dossier: Al had a pretty hard knock life. Orphaned because his mom died and his Dad couldn’t handle the stress, had to take care of a sister with Down Syndrome, went to Nam, got tortured, came back to find his wife had….ya know what, let’s focus less on that and more on the fact that Al’s multi-layered past was always there to inspire Sam to do the right thing. Go Al!

I'm pretty sure Captain Jack is a bigger horndog then this guy,he would sleep with the kitchen sink if the censors would allow it.

anais.jude

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
Well, he was one of my special votes. You have some too :)

Russell

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:18:46 PM »
Al is awesome. He's kinda like me, except he's more faithful. :D

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
GAME ON!!!

#49 – John Locke

Cool! I wasn't sure if he was going to make it. Four lists! Locke is such a great character. Completely made the final season for me.

#47 – The Prisoner

I completely spaced on this one. Dammit.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Russell

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »
#47 – The Prisoner

Just don't forget the dignified, legendary sport of kings... KOSHO!!!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »

# 50- The Brigadier

Ooh, good start.

#49 – John Locke

(29 Points) 4 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Invader Quirk, Cole Stratton, D. B. Barnes, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: John Locke

Never seen the show yet.  Someday.

#48 – Dr. Lazarus

(29 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Cole Stratton, Imrahil

Full Name: Dr. Lazarus of Tev'Meck (Sir Alexander Dane)
Didn't think of this one.  Galaxy Quest was a fantastic movie.

#47 – The Prisoner

(29 Points) 2 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Johnny Unusual and LucasM

Full Name: Unknown, but he is also referred to as Number 6
[
I watched the Prisoner for the first time recently, and it is amazing.  A brilliant take on individualism vs. collectivism.  And though the show only lasted one season and most of the episodes are stand alone, there is a great arc to his character: for the first half of the series (though episode order has been debated) the Prisoner is trying to find an escape, with each episode finding him failing.  However, as the show goes on he decides to change his strategy and let the Village and #2 strike first, after which he completely turns the crazy situation of the week around on them.  Hell, in a brilliant satire of spy conventions he defeats one #2 by basically acting suspicious, as if he has a big plan.  #2, already a control freak, becomes convinced that he's losing control... which causes him to do just that.  Now this #2, the nastiest and most aggressive of the series ends as a blubbering child, completely manipulated by the Prisoner into admitting his failure to #1.

Oh, and my favourite #2: Leo McKern.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zalndXdxriI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zalndXdxriI</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ato5NS9dW0A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ato5NS9dW0A</a>

#46 – Sam Beckett

(30 Points) 3 of 18 Lists – Voted by: Gunflyer, Compound, Anais.T. Kirk

He probably wouldn't have made my list, but a damned good choice.  On Nerdist, I heard the best idea ever: hire Dean Stockwell to follow Scott Bakula for the day as Al, bothering him with certain things he needs to do to set things right!

#47 – The Prisoner

I completely spaced on this one. Dammit.

Yeah, I wish he placed higher, but I'm glad he's on the list.  He definitely deserves to be there.

#47 – The Prisoner

Just don't forget the dignified, legendary sport of kings... KOSHO!!!!
Teehee.  I love Kosho!  Especially since I used to own a trampoline.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NTqAfJYWe58" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NTqAfJYWe58</a>

Good list so far, but I'd like to see who gave the highest vote for each entry.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:52:59 PM by Johnny Unusual »