Author Topic: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters  (Read 57737 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1010
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »

Indeed, most likely - tho never stated - John Drake aka "Danger Man" (in the US aka "Secret Agent", for which there was a hit song with the lyrics, "they're givin' you a number... and takin' 'way your name" a little too 'on the nose' to be ignored as "#6"'s situation).

Although that was probably a reference to the other spy known by a number: 007.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

Indeed, most likely - tho never stated - John Drake aka "Danger Man" (in the US aka "Secret Agent", for which there was a hit song with the lyrics, "they're givin' you a number... and takin' 'way your name" a little too 'on the nose' to be ignored as "#6"'s situation).

Indeed it was, despite the fact that the song was created for Danger Man.  Still it works.  Personally I think that the Devo version is more fitting for the Prisoner (although their version is really more of a presentation of secret agent as paper pusher).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfPu51xl7NU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xfPu51xl7NU</a>

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5084
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »
Indeed it was, despite the fact that the song was created for Danger Man.

And though 007 is 'credited' as the source for the line in the tune, truthfully, with 007, the Brit secret service did NOT take away his name per the song: he was still James Bond.  So it simply isn't true of what was supposed to be the line's inspiration.  [i.e. It doesn't really work.]

But I would not be at all surprised to find out that it was that line that helped inspire Patrick McGoohan to come up with the idea for the series 'The Prisoner' in the first place.  I've thought that since I saw the series on PBS in the 70s.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:30:48 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:57 AM »
Good to see Devo hasn't changed haberdashers.

No no no.  It's totally different.  Their blue now!  That was actually part of a focus group satire for their last album.  They also had fans vote on the songs on the last album (pick 12 of 16 songs) and then put the songs they wanted on the album anyway and added a sticker that said "88% fan approved."

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:02 AM »
So they didn't do the original tune for Dangerman then:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cLgNPYw9QMw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cLgNPYw9QMw</a>

So much cooler.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »
#45 – Yoda

I dig Yoda. He's a wise and powerful little dude. And the lightsaber duels are just about the only thing worth watching in the prequels. That and Natalie's bare midriff.

#44 – Zapp Brannigan

Yes! Zapp is classic. "We'll write our own bible, with less Sodom and more Gomorrah."

Not that West doesn't do a great voice, but I think Phil Hartman not getting shot by his nutjob wife would've made him even better.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

anais.jude

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
I left my laptop at home, so I will have many more tonight :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »
#44 – Zapp Brannigan

Yes! Zapp is classic. "We'll write our own bible, with less Sodom and more Gomorrah."

Not that West doesn't do a great voice, but I think Phil Hartman not getting shot by his nutjob wife would've made him even better.

Yeah, that was a fucking hate crime against humanity.

Well put.

Every time I see him or hear his voice, this wave of sadness and anger crashes on me.  :(  :grr:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6684
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »
#45 – Yoda

I dig Yoda. He's a wise and powerful little dude. And the lightsaber duels are just about the only thing worth watching in the prequels. That and Natalie's bare midriff.

#44 – Zapp Brannigan

It would have made a LOT of things better.

Watchman

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »
#44 – Zapp Brannigan

I wonder if the other Zap will show up. You know...Rowsdower!

Then again, who's to say that Brannigan isn't "the other Zapp"?

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 01:00:24 PM »
Yeah, at that time to me, he was the voice and face of comedy.  I was a huge NewsRadio fan and he was a big part of what made it so great, and his recurring work on the Simpsons was phenomenal ("Well, I lost your case.  Here's the pizza" "But we did win." "That's OK.  The box is empty!").  I can't help thinking about what would have been.  Aside from continuing on the Simpsons, I could have easily seen him working on a Colbert/Between Two Ferns-like show where he acts like a smarmy asshole (it sounds like an insult to say that he's amazing at that, but it is a true gift).

Russell

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
#44 – Zapp Brannigan

You mean you've never heard of the Teen sex romp that he starred in? I am not surprised,
it didn't go over very well, it was called "ZAPPED!" and there was even a Zequel called
"ZAPPED AGAIN!" :D

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »
#44 – Zapp Brannigan

You mean you've never heard of the Teen sex romp that he starred in? I am not surprised,
it didn't go over very well, it was called "ZAPPED!" and there was even a Zequel called

Quite true!  And there was a homemade outrageous and vulgar sex tape that surfaced after those that has had a lot of news coverage.  The media refer to it as 'The Zapp-Ruder Film'.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »
#44 – Zapp Brannigan

Quite true!  And there was a homemade outrageous and vulgar sex tape that surfaced after those that has had a lot of news coverage.  The media refer to it as 'The Zapp-Ruder Film'.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »
I'm pleased... there's never been a series of puns that I was a part of that resulted in an angry mob before.  ;D