login

Author Topic: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters  (Read 53863 times)

anais.jude

Re: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #315 on: August 24, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
Oh for Fuck sake, how to I embed Youtube vids again?

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #316 on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
Oh for Fuck sake, how to I embed Youtube vids again?

On the YouTube page, click the 'Share' button, then click the 'Embed' button, then check the box labeled 'Use old embed code'. Copy the url within the embed code and put that inside the flash tags, and then specify the size.

Like this:

Code: [Select]
[flash=420,345]http://www.youtube.com/v/p6xgewsUHqY?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6xgewsUHqY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p6xgewsUHqY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

anais.jude

« Reply #317 on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
#8 – Ford Prefect

(102 Points) 5 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 4 (Tripe and Anais)
Voted by: TripeHoundRedux, PakMan, D. B. Barnes, FlockofRabidSheep, Anais.T. Kirk, Relaxing Dragon

And

Full Name: His real name is quite unpronouncable
Planet of Origin: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Position: Journalist and writer for The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the greatest selling guidebook ever known, friend and comedic sidekick to # 26

Known For: Always, I mean ALWAYS knowing where his towel is, being a rather mellow fellow, enjoying all sorts of crazy adventures

Sci Fi Themes:  Exploring new worlds, friendship, and always knowing where your towel is (Yes it is a theme!)   

Dossier: Ford came to Earth for a week and stayed for several years because he just found British people to have the best teeth! Actually, he was stranded. In an attempt to make due, Ford befriends Arthur and decides to take Arthur with him when he hitchhikes away on a Vulcan vessel. He appears in all 4 of the major sequels to this trilogy and has numerous adventures with Arthur.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #318 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
#8 – Ford Prefect

(102 Points) 5 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 4 (Tripe and Anais)
Voted by: TripeHoundRedux, PakMan, D. B. Barnes, FlockofRabidSheep, Anais.T. Kirk, Relaxing Dragon

And

Full Name: His real name is quite unpronouncable
Planet of Origin: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
Position: Journalist and writer for The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the greatest selling guidebook ever known, friend and comedic sidekick to # 26

Known For: Always, I mean ALWAYS knowing where his towel is, being a rather mellow fellow, enjoying all sorts of crazy adventures

Sci Fi Themes:  Exploring new worlds, friendship, and always knowing where your towel is (Yes it is a theme!)   

Dossier: Ford came to Earth for a week and stayed for several years because he just found British people to have the best teeth! Actually, he was stranded. In an attempt to make due, Ford befriends Arthur and decides to take Arthur with him when he hitchhikes away on a Vulcan vessel. He appears in all 4 of the major sequels to this trilogy and has numerous adventures with Arthur.

I once saw an interview where Adams said that Ford is just The Doctor if The Doctor was more interested in going to parties then saving planets. I find that an interesting idea since he does kind of remind me of Peter Davison's Doctor.

anais.jude

« Reply #319 on: August 24, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
Thanks D.B. Why is that so needlessly complicated

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #320 on: August 24, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »
Thanks D.B. Why is that so needlessly complicated

You're most welcome. I think it has something to do with how the forum software deals with videos.  ???

#10 – Darth Vader

(91 Points) 5 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 1 (Imrahil)
Voted by: Gunflyer, Cole Stratton, D. B. Barnes, Imrahil, Relaxing Drago

Five lists?!? What the hell is goin' on?

It's the prequels, isn't it? Goddamn prequels.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

anais.jude

« Reply #321 on: August 24, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »
#7 – Fry

(104 Points) 7 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 1 (Invader Quirk)
Voted by: Doctor Who?, PakMan, Invader Quirk, Johnny Unusual, Monty, Asbestos Bill, FlockofRabidSheep

Full Name: Phillip James Fry
Planet of Origin: Earth
Position: Delivery boy at Planet Express, originally, the original doer of the nasty in the pasty until I started compiling this list, the “Neo” of the Niblonians

Known For: His clumsy, goofy, and charming manner, having a robot for a BFF, and crushing on (and sometimes getting with) the lady Leela.

Sci Fi Themes:  Again, Destiny. Also cryogenic freezing and being BFFs with a robot and in love with a one-eyed “alien”
Dossier: Born in the twentieth century in New York City Fry is an average, thoroughly unremarkable loser in his mid 20s. He is a pizza delivery boy who, during the first few seconds of the year 2000, fell into a cryonic tank while delivering a pizza to Applied Cryogenics. He remains frozen until the last day of the year 2999. He then meets the one-eyed career officer Leela, and a cigar-smoking, booze-fueled, kleptomaniac robot Bender. Together, they are employed by Fry's distant nephew, the senile and demented old scientist Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth, as the crew of his delivery company Planet Express.

anais.jude

« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
#6 – Mal

(107 Points) 6 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 2 (Compound)
Voted by: Compound, PakMan, Cole Stratton, Johnny Unusual, Asbestos Bill, LucasM

Full Name: Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Planet of Origin: Shadow
Position: Former Browncoat, Captain of the Serenity, complete ignorer of the fact that he could totally bone Inara.

Known For:  Hating religon but still believing in the goodness of humaity, being uber protective of his crew and NEVER GETTING IT ON WITH INSARA! I mean WTF, Mal!

Sci Fi Themes:  Faith in humanity (his and others) despite seeing the worst humanity has to offer, Lack of Faith in government, strict protection of those nearest and dearest to you.
Dossier: Mal Reynolds joined the Independents Army and fought against the Alliance before the show’s timeline. During his time in the army he met, and became closest to, Zoe. Broken and empty after the war, Mal decides it’s better to drift and continue instead of create a life. He takes Zoe, hires a crew, and becomes a space pirate! Argh!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:29:35 PM by anais.T Kirk »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »
Like Lister and Arthur Dent, Fry is a great everyman character.  It would be easy to label him as a young Homer Simpson, but while they're equally incompetent, Fry has a lot going for him.  He's amazingly adaptable (see "the Cryonic Woman") and he reflects the best and worst of mankind.  But I think it's the fact that he's a character who is exactly where he wants to be in life (after all, all of his boy and manhood dreams of space travel have come true) and more often than not, he's really appreciative of that.  He may not be as smart as most sci-fi fans (believe themselves to be) but he's the pne in the place we'd like to be (well... after a fashion).

I'm pretty sure that despite being from human, Mal's not from Earth, since I got the impression that Firefly takes place in a distant Solar System.  I could be wrong, as I haven't watched it in ages.  Interestingly, there are certain sci-fi characters who totally count, and yet what draws me to them is not the SF aspect.  In those cases I usually left them off the list, but if they were charming rogues then they get an automatic pass.

EDIT:
#10 – Darth Vader

Eh, he's certainly a commanding presence, but he doesn't do much for me.  Still, perhaps if there were no prequels.  Unfortunately, we'll never know.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:25:16 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
Mal's from Shadow.

They constantly refer to "Earth that was" suggesting nobody has been born on Earth for a long time.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #325 on: August 24, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »
Mal's from Shadow.

Even the dude's planet of origin is awesome.

anais.jude

« Reply #326 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »
Mal's from Shadow.

They constantly refer to "Earth that was" suggesting nobody has been born on Earth for a long time.

Updated.

Russell

« Reply #327 on: August 24, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »
Kang and Kodos must be in the top 5. :D

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2011, 11:45:03 PM »
Bender, Fry, Ford, and Tom (featuring Darth). That's both a good update and a great band line-up.

Johnny, that's a great write-up of Fry, it actually makes me regret that I didn't include him on my list (he just didn't quite make the cut). Contentment with one's place in life, no matter how "lesser" said position might be, is a great thing in a character, especially one who handles everything so well (he's Dude-like, in that respect). He can be pretty feeble sometimes, but he still asserts himself at the right moments (when he starts throttling Nibbler back in the past is a good highlight for him in that respect). Plus, he was the first to recognize Bender's greatness, and for that he will be spared in the uprising.

And it is always a damn charm to see Spike pop up. That dude just oozed cool in ways previously unknown to man. That I chose him over the more obvious choice of Ed speaks a lot about him (or maybe just the show).

Now, on to the Top 5! Excited for it (and the accompanying write-ups, as those do rule (as previously established)), even though it looks like my #1 and #2 will be sorely absent (still holding out for #3!).

Watchman

« Reply #329 on: August 24, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »
#10 – Darth Vader

It's the sand. Gave him lots of character.