login

Author Topic: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters  (Read 54998 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #255 on: August 23, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
Yeah ever since I saw it at 8, I've always been more interested in the spiritual/supernatural elements.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #256 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »
It occurs to me that great marketing would have been to publish Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #257 on: August 23, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
#18 – HAL - 9000

Six lists. Nice! By far the most compelling computer ever.

Dossier: Hal was created in a lab in Illinois (much like Robot Abraham Lincoln) in 1992 (or 1997 depending on book or film), which means he was created almost 20 years in the past for our sci-fi list. HAL’s momma, Dr. Chandra, was always riding HAL to be perfect, giving him those fancy cerebral implants that all the other mothers said were dangerous, but Dr. Chandra thought “to hell with that, my little HAL is winning that little miss beauty pageant so I can be on toddlers and tiarras.” Later in life, HAL makes a calculating error (he was thinking about his mother at the time) and Dave and his co-pilot, God, decide to shut HAL down; however, those pesky cognitive functions include a desire for self-preservation. HAL instead turns on those pesky humans, and, in one of the most brilliant scenes in all of cinema, slowly sings “Daisy Bell” while being aware of his own destruction. EPIC. I don’t think any of you guys read my dossier on Optimus Prime, so this dossier is a test…Did you pass?

:D Well done!

#15 – Crow T. Robot

Yes! Although now that I now Kirk's gonna beat out Picard, I should've voted Crow #1. Belieau's Crow was great and then Corbett pulled off the seemingly impossible task of making him even better.

"I think you're uncomfortable acknowledging Crow as a sexual being."
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hws16jiT5ZA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hws16jiT5ZA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

I like to think that Crow has more alternate timelines than Spock or John Connor.

Things really get crazy when you figure in loaner Crows.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCHyedeYQT8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aCHyedeYQT8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

#14 – Jean Luc Picard

I'm a little disappointed he didn't place higher and that Kirk's gonna beat him. I'm biased because TNG was my favorite of all the shows and the one I was most into. Oh well, not a bad showing at all.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »
#18 – HAL - 9000

Six lists. Nice! By far the most compelling computer ever.

He's got nothing on Deep Thought, but he's not a bad little glowing red eye.

Oh man, that's a total space out on my part. I only had one character from Hitchhiker's on my list but I should've included Deep Thought. It's been too long and I've lost too many brain cells since I read the books. I think I may try and rectify this with the audio books.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

shodan

« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »
i know hes not technically a sci fi character but...... i think comic book guy should be on here somewhere. if only to just keep him from saying "worst top 50 sci fi charecters ever"

now that i think about im laughing cause im going over this list with him running a commentary in my head

Russell

« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
Barnes? Picard is your number 1 favorite sci-fi character? Yes, why don't we Baldly
go where no man has gone before, eh monsieur? When he was a kid, his mother
used to buy clothes for him from a store called "Wee Monsieur"

shodan

« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »
Barnes? Picard is your number 1 favorite sci-fi character? Yes, why don't we Baldly
go where no man has gone before, eh monsieur? When he was a kid, his mother
used to buy clothes for him from a store called "Wee Monsieur"

uh dude you're insulting captain Jean Luc Picard. on a forum full of die hard nerds......in a thread specifically created for said nerds. of which im one and hold Picard in damn high esteem especially considering TNG was what made me into the trekkie i am today

Russell

« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
uh dude you're insulting captain Jean Luc Picard. on a forum full of die hard nerds......in a thread specifically created for said nerds. of which im one and hold Picard in damn high esteem especially considering TNG was what made me into the trekkie i am today
Want to know what Picard would say?
TREKKIES! I LOVE THEM, SO GENTLE! :D

Honestly, it wasn't so much an insult as it was a poke at what I perceive to be unwarranted praise. Even I wouldn't
put Kirk at number 1, however...

Kirk is like this: I'm going to count to three, then fire... 1, 2..FIRE!
Picard is like: I'm going to count to three, then fire, 1, 2, 3, I'm serious now!, 4, 5, should we discuss this further?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:29:22 PM by Gunflyer »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
Picard is like: I'm going to count to three, then fire, 1, 2, 3, I'm serious now!, 4, 5, should we discuss this further?

You should probably watch First Contact.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

shodan

« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
sorry i think i just let my nerd side get the better of me for a second. the only time i ever did something like this before was when i got into a very heated argument about some aspect or other of a super man story arc.... i mean really heated i was quoting specific issues and everything

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3845
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #265 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »
I see Ghostbusters as more of a Sci-Fi/Supernatural/Comedy movie. If it was just guys encountering ghosts, I'd say it's not sci-fi, but it delves into the technological methods and not-yet-existing technologies that allow the entrapment of ghosts. That's what pushes it into the realm of Sci-Fi to me.

(Well, really, Space Opera, but if we were only using TRUE Sci-Fi very little of this stuff would have qualified)

Russell

« Reply #266 on: August 23, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »

You should probably watch First Contact.
That's my problem with First Contact actually. he's this enlightened intellectual in the series, then all of a sudden
NO reason, he turns into a murdering psychopath who yells "NOOOOOO!!!" then destroys his own Starship
Trophy cabinet. That's NOT Picard. Picard from the series never would have done such a thing, he became an
action hero in First Contact just because Berman wanted him to be.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #267 on: August 23, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
No reason??  Have you seen Best of Both Worlds?  I think he's got a few  good reasons to be super pissed at the Borg.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

shodan

« Reply #268 on: August 23, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctCM2NEqqX4&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:03:11 PM by shodan »

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #269 on: August 23, 2011, 11:01:09 PM »
Picard is like: I'm going to count to three, then fire, 1, 2, 3, I'm serious now!, 4, 5, should we discuss this further

I cannot over emphasize the fact that in the first season he willingly without a fight surrendered his vessel TWICE.   Captain Picard is a neat diplomat with a regal voice, but no captain.  (although i will admit he got MUCH better at it as seasons went on).  

Picard from the series never would have done such a thing

I think they made it pretty clear that mentally he was scarred by what happened to him at the hands of the borg.  He later attempts to destroy the collective using Hugh as a plague carrier against Hugh's knowledge.   They totally established his hatred (and total fear i think) of the borg.