Author Topic: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters  (Read 53800 times)

anais.jude

Re: Top 110010 Sci-Fi Characters
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
#24 – Wash

(57 Points) 5 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 5 (Gofyblind)
Voted by: TripeHoundRedux, Cole Stratton, Asbestos Bill, Gofyblind, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Hoban "Wash" Washburne
From: Firefly (and NOT Serenity. I do not recognize that film exists when it comes to this character).
Planet of Origin: Unnamed polluted planet (So sayeth the Wiki)
Position: Ship’s Pilot, Comedian, and doer of this fine foxy lady

Known For: Getting the Serenity our of some pretty hardcore situations with his amazing abilities, openly playing with dinosaurs (unlike Dark Helmet who hides it), being able to have a piece of this whenever he wants. Also, saying this: “Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal!”

Sci Fi Themes: Physics: work with it, not against it, the term “space cowboys” can actually mean cowboys in space.

Dossier: Wash had a typical shit life growing up in the colonies. He became a pilot so he could leave said shit life behind. He became so darn good at piloting that he was requested by many a captain, good and bad alike. Who knows why he chose to be the pilot of Serenity (the above pictures have nothing to do with it I am sure), but for whatever reason, he lives on, flying the ship through further adventures and NEVER EVER DYING! DO YOU HEAR THAT, WHEDON! I WILL CUT YOU!!!!!

anais.jude

« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
Whoops, sorry about the Zim pic...gimme a moment here

PS: THe Wash post is dedicated to Tripe. Hope you like my pciture selections.

And a spoiler tag would ruin the joke, sorry

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
Indeed I do. :)

Yow. See I like the look of Zoe, and Jasmine and Sarge and whatever her name was in the show with Jennifer Garner in it that I only watched when she was on. But as characters go she's outside my top 25. :)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »
#26 – Arthur Dent

(54 Points) 5 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 2 (Johnny Unusual) Voted by: Doctor Who?, Invader Quirk, Johnny Unusual, Gofyblind, FlockofRabidSheep

And later…

(I prefer this ^ one…yum!)

Full Name: Arthur Phillip Dent
Planet of Origin: Earth
Position: The “Neo” of Earth

Known For: Wearing a dressing gown and slippers, not getting the hang of Thursdays, and as for his experience with tea, well this phrase sums it up best: Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Sci Fi Themes: Being the chosen one, possibility and probability, the number 42

Dossier: Oh, poor Arthur Dent. One day he gets up and makes himself a cuppa, only to discover his home is soon  to be destroyed to make way for an intercity bypass. Then he realizes his bff is an alien from the planet Betelgeuse. Theeeeeen he learns the earth is about to be destroyed to make way for an intergalactic bypass. Luckily, Ford Prefect happens to be an excellent hitchhiker. Hilarity and probability and possibility ensue.

Simon Jones is my favorite Dent because Adams wrote the part for him and it shows,he is perfect.  I wish they had made the sequels into Tv shows.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »
I'm a bigger fan of the Freeman Dent, but that's more because I'm a bigger fan of the movie version than anything else.

Zim demands a proper photo!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
Zim demands a proper photo!

He failed to show up for his own photo.

That's SO Zim!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »
#30 – Q

(48 Points) 3 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 1 (Gofyblind) Voted by: Monty, Gofyblind, D.B. Barnes

Fixed.

#26 – Arthur Dent

(54 Points) 5 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 2 (Johnny Unusual) Voted by: Doctor Who?, Invader Quirk, Johnny Unusual, Gofyblind, FlockofRabidSheep

For other people it might be Zaphod or Ford, it occurred to me recently that Arthur is my favourite character.  He's a smart, reasonable man (it would easy to make his character just a guy who asks questions to provide exposition) who has the misfortune of being way in over his head in a world he's got to work hard to understand and acquits himself quite well.  And Simon is Arthurd Dent.  Although I read the book first, and in that I always imagined him as the guy who played Miles on Murphy Brown.

#24 – Wash

(57 Points) 5 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 5 (Gofyblind)
Voted by: TripeHoundRedux, Cole Stratton, Asbestos Bill, Gofyblind, Anais.T. Kirk

Full Name: Hoban "Wash" Washburne
From: Firefly (and NOT Serenity. I do not recognize that film exists when it comes to this character).
Planet of Origin: Unnamed polluted planet (So sayeth the Wiki)
Position: Ship’s Pilot, Comedian, and doer of this fine foxy lady

Not the Firefly character I picked, but a great character.  Got to love Alan Tudyk.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3748
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
It's strange, but while I generally prefer the BBC version, Movie Hitchhiker fills me with this general sense of Joy that I don't think I get from any other movie. I'm not sure where it comes from specifically, but the movie just puts me in a really great mood.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2011, 11:50:02 AM »
yeah there is something so awesome watching them heroically fill out paperwork to save trillian. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2011, 11:50:16 AM »
I'm a bigger fan of the Freeman Dent, but that's more because I'm a bigger fan of the movie version than anything else.

Did you see the movie first or something? I've never heard anyone else say that.

Yeah the movie is okay but alot of Adams' more adult and satirical humor was left out or butchered by the movie.

Russell

« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
#30 – Q

(48 Points) 3 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 1 (Gofyblind) Voted by: Monty, Gofyblind, D.B. Barnes

Fixed.
But if his name is Q, and if he says it backwards... he would disappear every time he said his own name!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »
Whoops, sorry about the Zim pic...gimme a moment here

I'll get it.

#25 – Zim

(54 Points) 4 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 6 (PakMan and Invader Quirk) Voted by: PakMan, Invader Quirk, Darth Geek, Relaxing Dragon)

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »

Did you see the movie first or something? I've never heard anyone else say that.

I saw them both around the same time (and I do need to rewatch the BBC one), but I just happen to really enjoy the movie version. It's definitely got its share of problems, but I think it's got enough charm and new ideas to it to work. I basically get the same feeling that Pak does; just a real good feeling of happiness while watching it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6297
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
#25 – Zim

(54 Points) 4 of 19 Lists – Highest Vote: Number 6 (PakMan and Invader Quirk) Voted by: PakMan, Invader Quirk, Darth Geek, Relaxing Dragon)

:D :D So does that make the old guy with the ripped T-shirt Dib?

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4981
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
#27 – Mike Nelson

Now this is a character that I seriously spaced on, by not putting him on my list!

#24 – Wash

I agree that Wash is superb.  Another 'Sci-Fi Theme' for him: "part of one of the only couples in all of fiction that have disagreements that don't get exaggerated all out of proportion".   I likely could have put all of the inhabitants of Serenity on my list for various reasons, but ended up opting for only two.

Oh, and I am very appreciative for the pictures of his spousal unit on the show, as well.  Yum!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects