Author Topic: Just watched Troll 1 so I wouldn't be confused during 2  (Read 4838 times)

Offline estwald

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Just watched Troll 1 so I wouldn't be confused during 2
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »
Did anyone else watch this on the DVD?

I couldn't believe the star power in this movie. Sonny Bono? Julia Louis Dreyfus?

Plus the kid's name is Harry Potter and at one point he even asks the old woman if she'll teach him to be a  wizard. Now I see where JK Rowling got her ideas.

I sat through the second half thinking maybe at least Julie Louis Dreyfus would show her good stuff, but it didn't happen. Has anyone else watched the first one?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Just watched Troll 1 so I wouldn't be confused during 2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:31:05 AM »
Ya know, I kind of forgot there even was a movie on the ohter side of the DVD.

Have not watched it yet......... probably never will unless there is a Rifftrax for Troll1 somewhere in our future.

Offline AvestheFox

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
  • The Fox Hath Spoken!
    • The Bullock Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »
Harry Potter???

you... have... got... to... be... kidding... me

Offline Justin

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Did you know...?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
I thought JLD looked good in a leaf bikini, I gotta say.

The weirdest thing about Troll, and by proxy Troll 2, is that there actually are elements that are repeated in the sequel but are completed unrelated.

1) Green crap coming out of a character's mouth
2) Characters turning into plants as said green crap exits their mouths
3) An ancient magic lady who uses a spell at one point to make her younger and prettier

Just weird, is all.
Snowhead the Blue Reindeer gave me all the presents in the world.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »
You know, as I understand it, you're more likely to be confused if you HAVE seen Troll 1 first.. :^)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »

Yah. Especially since there aren't any trolls in Troll 2.

Offline estwald

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »
I now feel that I'm ready to watch Troll 2, since I know how the whole Troll-Goblin universe works, and I can now enjoy what I'm sure will be the smooth, logical narrative of Troll 2.

To anyone who watched the first one on the DVD, how strange was that scene with the Troll, in the body of the little girl, talking to the Professor about mortality and becoming a magical creature? And then when we actually see the professor come out of his elf-cocoon? And that magic mushroom in the old lady's living room that doesn't look at all phallic?

Jeez, that movie was weird. I'm sure Troll 2 will provide some much needed sanity tonight when I watch it.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:31:52 PM »
   I had seen Troll in the theaters whenever the hell it came out, but having the DVD I figured I might as well watch it again.  Compared to Troll 2, it at least has "star power" working for it, or at least recognizable actors.  Isn't Brad Hall  Julia Louis-Dreyfus's husband or is that Rich Hall? So is this from before or after she was a regular on Saturday Night Live?
   Michael Moriarity plays Harry Potter in Troll.  The kid is Harry, Jr.  Running into that was as neat as the first time you watched the 1950s War of the Worlds after becoming a MSTie and hearing Gene Barry's name of Dr. Clayton Forrester.
    I don't think it's the first time June and Anne Lockhart appeared in a movie or tv show together, but I wonder if it was the first time Anne played the younger version of June's character?
   All in all, now that I have it on DVD, I want a Rifftrax of it.

Offline Natureboy

• Big Montana
  • Intelligent, Sensational
    • Easy Talk Cafe
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 12:31:42 PM »
Julia's husband is Brad Hall...but both Brad and Rich were on Saturday Night Live at the same time.

Offline estwald

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »
Troll 1 came out in '86, and JLD and Brad Hall were on Saturday Night Live earlier than that. Wasn't she there during the classic Piscopo years?

So much for Saturday Night Live being a surefire ticket to stardom. Eddie Murphy goes on to Beverly Hills Cop, Dan Akroyd makes the Blues Brothers, and Julia Louis Dreyfus breaks into movies in... Troll.

And speaking of Piscopo, he's got a concert run right now across the street from me at the Hilton in Las Vegas. Maybe I should go?

http://www.lvhilton.com/entertainment/joepiscopo.shtml

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 06:12:55 AM »
I think i you are going to be in the LV Hilton, you probably should go to the Star Trek experience and see the Borg...... in 4D!

Offline estwald

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »
Okay, watched Troll 2.

I think it's a fine, well developed companion piece to Troll 1. Sort of like Letters from Iwo Jima was to Flags of Our Fathers. Question though, did all of the kids from the camper die? One of them (plant kid) was clearly in trouble either way. The second one we see resting comfortably on the red bed, and the third one just ends up covered in popcorn. So did they die or what?

Other than that, fine, fine movie.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 11:17:38 PM »
  Did they die?

We can only hope.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 05:55:28 AM »
Okay, watched Troll 2.

I think it's a fine, well developed companion piece to Troll 1. Sort of like Letters from Iwo Jima was to Flags of Our Fathers. Question though, did all of the kids from the camper die? One of them (plant kid) was clearly in trouble either way. The second one we see resting comfortably on the red bed, and the third one just ends up covered in popcorn. So did they die or what?

Other than that, fine, fine movie.

I am sure that Clint Eastwood is flattered by the comparason!

Did all the kids die...... you know, I think they ran out of ink for their typewriters and never finished up all the plots.   I mean, when a movie is as full as characters and sub-plots (e.g. "Pulp Fiction"), you cant be expected to keep track of EVERYTHING.