Author Topic: Name you most/least favorite animated non-anime show...  (Read 8165 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Name you most/least favorite animated non-anime show...
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
   Let me throw in a good word for the horribly non-animated mid-60s Marvel toons. Captain America, the Hulk, Namor, Iron Man and Thor in short chapters, designed to fit two per 15-minute shows; what they lacked in lame animation, they made up for with using the original art and storylines.  I tire of these current guys who make inane changes just for the purpose of putting their stamp on the franchise.
    You can also play "Name the Artist" as the clip art switches back and forth.  The cheesy theme songs almost rise to the level of the 60s Spider-Man theme.

Those were great fun.

I'm also hoping that this year's Fantastic Four movie finally leads to the DVD release of their 60s toon.  Only 20 episodes but the majority faithfully adapted Stan and Jack's stories.

They might still run those occasionally on Boomerang.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2007, 11:25:16 AM »
two of my favorites:

Gargoyles
Reboot

least favorite:

Any animated show with 'ugly', 'cheap', or both (which is most common) as the animation style, or any show where pure stupidity is the basis of the humor (I'm talking to you: Ed, Edd, & Eddy, King of the Hill, ATHF, Drawn Together, etc etc).

Please do your part in supporting more intelligent, sophisticated, and visually pleasing entertainment. America has had a whole generation of taste-destruction and dumbing-down. Can we please reverse the trend now? PLEASE?!

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »
Any animated show with 'ugly', 'cheap', or both (which is most common) as the animation style, or any show where pure stupidity is the basis of the humor (I'm talking to you: Ed, Edd, & Eddy, King of the Hill, ATHF, Drawn Together, etc etc).

How did king of the hill make that list?  It at least is a charectar driven show unlike the others you mention.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »
I'd guess it falls into the "Ugly" category. I find it a strong show despite the kinda-ugly art. :^)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2007, 02:03:52 PM »
its far less ugly than the simpsons.  Or even futurama

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2007, 03:07:19 PM »
Yes, it's ugly, but it's also about rednecks, meaning it also falls into the 'stupid' category as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think Simpsons or Futurama are worse (not that they're great works of art or anything, but they're tolerable) simply because they use a particular style of cartoon art that isn't trying to pass them off as somewhat realistic. KotH on the other hand is just a moderately improved Beavis and Butthead... which was also incredibly stupid mind you. So, coming from the beavis & butthead roots, having ugly artwork, and following the story of rednecks... it's all negatives in my book.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2007, 03:21:18 PM »
Yes, it's ugly, but it's also about rednecks, meaning it also falls into the 'stupid' category as far as I'm concerned.

To call hank hill a redneck just doesnt seem fair in my book.  Yeah he isnt frasier or anything, and yeah he lives in middle class america, doing a smaller job than some. But he is a decent person who isnt retarded, the show isnt even about him being stupid. 

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »
Who said anything about Hank? Yes, I actually realize he's the "best" / "most normal" character, but there are other characters besides him. I was talking about the show as a whole, not Hank specifically.

Truthfully though, Hank IS a redneck. A very mild, possibly even borderline breed, but still belonging to the species. :P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:30:46 PM by Jinto »

• Compsognathus
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »
well ok then, its all subjective.  But i dont think the show is really all that bad, the people in it are remarkably normal people.  Yeah they arent hyper smart or anything, but a lot of them are normal.  I  dont think its fair to despise the people.

Truthfully though, Hank IS a redneck

if Hank is a redneck i got to ask, whats wrong with being a redneck?

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »
well ok then, its all subjective.  But i dont think the show is really all that bad, the people in it are remarkably normal people.  Yeah they arent hyper smart or anything, but a lot of them are normal.  I  dont think its fair to despise the people.

Truthfully though, Hank IS a redneck

if Hank is a redneck i got to ask, whats wrong with being a redneck?

Nothing if you're like Hank. Like all social groups, there's good and bad mixed in. I need not belabor the obvious on the 'bad' segment of that particular social population, not when it's all been heard a thousand times before.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
i guess my real problem is more or less what shows you were comparing it to.  I agree with you on things like ed edd and eddy, ATHF and drawn together.  I just dont think king of the hill is so terrible a show that its got to be lumped into such a sad sad segment.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2007, 03:57:36 PM »
My wife grew up in San Antonio, and King of the Hill makes her homesick. :^) The characters in King of the Hill are all very real people. They never act overly stereotypical. They're just normal folks. Everyone knows a Dale or a Hank, or a Bill... :^)

• Compsognathus
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »
yeah hank to me is like an uneducated and unintelligent version of my father.  a guy who will always put his family first and works hard for them. 

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2007, 05:09:54 PM »
Just because you know a Dale, Hank or Bill, doesn't necessarily mean you want to associate with them. Watching a show like KotH, when I myself not only live in the southern USA, but was born and raised here (and did NOT turn out as a redneck of any sort), is basically overkill. I see enough of the various southern cultures, and the various good and bad sub-cultures within those major groups. I don't want to watch a TV show about them, when I already see them first hand.

I liken the view to that of an Eskimo who doesn't just see "snow", but various forms of it. Within a culture, rednecks in this particular case, there are differences in the people belonging to that general group, and some of those you'd just rather not associate with in any way. This is the same as preferring to play in snow considered 'fresh powder' (or at least sticky enough to make good snowballs), and preferring NOT to play in muddy slush that seeps as quickly as possible into your shoes. Even with Hank representing the 'fine powder' example, KotH still, in my opinion, contains more muddy slush than anything else, and not just in characters, but the characters' circumstances within the show, the show origins (beavis and butthead), poor visual presentation, and so on.

That's about the best explanation I can give. Obviously, my opinion is different than some of yours, but we'll just have to agree to disagree in this matter.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2007, 05:22:25 PM »
i am willing to agree to disagree with you on it.

However im still shocked you want to compare it to ATHF.