Author Topic: The first game I ever beat was......  (Read 1400 times)

Offline beavobeave

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 1
The first game I ever beat was......
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:06:50 AM »
I'm sure this topic has come up at some point, but just state the first game you ever beat and the system it was for, and even how old you where.  I'm kind curious to see the results.

For me it was Kirby's Adventure on the NES... I had to be maybe 6 years old at the time.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: The first game I ever beat was......
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
Adventure for the 2600.

In fact, I think it was the first game I owned that could be beaten. The others either ended at a preset time (Combat) or just kept going until you died (Space Invaders, Missile Command).

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »
I can't be exactly certain...The C-64 was a staple in my house since I was at least 2...but probably the first one I beat that I went completely bonkers over was the C-64 version of Contra.  Unlike the NES one, it was 3 lives, no continues...and technically, I don't think it's possible to beat the game unless you go through the whole thing without being hit once until the final battle.  Also unlike the NES, all you get is a "Game Over" screen with Game Over replaced with "Congratulations."  Not even a shot of the helicopter flying away as the alien base blows up.  But it didn't matter.  I ran through the house yelling at the top of my lungs when I beat that sucker.

Probably the actual first one was "Cave of the Word Wizard."  That game was a lot harder than you might think, since it employed speech technology in a day when the best you could do sounded like somebody gargling into a vocoder.  "SPELL THE WORD...MUMBLEGRUMBLEBUMP." *type in word*  "Incorrect!  You're trapped in my cave forever!"
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1446
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
Super Mario World for the snes.  I was probably 7 or 8. I remember waking up my dad to show him the fireworks, cause the deal was I couldn't get a new game until I beat the ones I had.  Definitely a moment I won't forget.  Even if I get Alzheimer's it will be one of the last memories to go since it happened so early.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3039
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »
Ducktales for the NES. I remember the first thing I did after beating it was to beat it like a jillion more times and try to get all the secret treasures. :^)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 05:11:32 AM »
Most of the games I played when I was a kid were on the Atari so there really wasn't a way to beat them so i think the first game I ever beat was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and that was only with the 30 extra lives code I put in via The Game Genie.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
Contra.  Man i put so many hours into that thing.  and yes i beat it with the code not on my own merits i was 7 for crying out loud

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
I was... I don't know, 9? I was awful at video games (still am!) and generally could not beat any of them because I had a nasty habit of dying. Then I managed to snag a copy of one of the only Sierra point-and-click adventure games that I couldn't die during: Eco Quest: The Search For Cetus. It's one of those edu-tainment games that more or less lobs softballs at you throughout the entire playthrough. It was great. Giant confidence booster, right there.

Russell

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 05:54:59 PM »
Super Mario Bros. Summer of 1986

Invader_quirk

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
It was probably Donkey Kong Country. I'm sure I didn't beat the whole thing though. My brother beat the game and I'd just beat K Rool over and over on his game. I remember playing some NES games before we got our SNES, but we were both really young and didn't beat any of them. I remember renting Mega Man 2 veeeeery vaguely. Also, some game where you skateboard around and collect fruit? I've never since been able to figure out what that game was. That sound familiar to anybody?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5579
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
It was probably Donkey Kong Country. I'm sure I didn't beat the whole thing though. My brother beat the game and I'd just beat K Rool over and over on his game. I remember playing some NES games before we got our SNES, but we were both really young and didn't beat any of them. I remember renting Mega Man 2 veeeeery vaguely. Also, some game where you skateboard around and collect fruit? I've never since been able to figure out what that game was. That sound familiar to anybody?
Maybe the Back to the Future game?

Invader_quirk

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
Actually, after a bit of research, I'm fairly confident it was Adventure Island. Seeing this video didn't bring back a flood of memories, but it fits the description.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »
I did beat the mothership on Gorf back in the day, and that was a big deal for me at the time (it was around 1985 or so probably) but that's one of those endless repetition games that just starts right over.  I think the first game with an ending screen I beat on my own was Super Mario 3.  I saw my friend Nick beat Mario 2, but I always got frustrated with it back in the day.  On a good day, Nick and I could beat the TMNT Arcade Game on NES together, but I could never beat it solo.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
Without resorting to cheating or God Mode? Enter the Matrix.

Yes, it was quite a hollow victory. But some of the cutscenes were worth it (Sparks was a hoot, I have to admit.)

Then later I beat Return of the King and felt much better about myself.

Although, wait...Does Treasure Mountain count here?