login

Author Topic: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Odyssey  (Read 115370 times)

anais.jude

Re: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Odyssey
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Also: if anyone has read a good biography on the original series, I would be interested in reading it

anais.jude

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
Cool, thanks Im :)

The Naked Time

Ok this is one of the episodes I have seen before. I dated a dumbass back in New Orleans, but he loved Star Trek. He showed me this episode and the TNG equivalent

I find it odd that there is no sex in this episode despite being called the naked time. You would think the 60s would be more liberal. Glad to see Scotty back in red. Now if I understand correctly: blue uniforms equal medical,'red uniforms equal you die first, and gold uniforms equal high ranking officers? Still don't know what beige uniforms mean.

Great discussion on globalization early on in the episode. As random dead crew member says: why are we searching and exploring all this places we have no right to be? I saw an exhibition on pirates today and was thinking the same thing about Africa. Why did we colonize Africa? Well, to quote Kirk: Because
it's there it seems.

Sulu was a hot dude. He would bat for the other team. Actually, I would probably have done most of the original crew. Good thing I wasn't alive in the 60s

Russell

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
Cool, thanks Im :)
There's also William Shatner's Star Trek Memories. Really good, really funny bio on the
original series and more.

anais.jude

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
Also: brilliant that Spock becomes infected (and therefore emotional) and Bones remains the rational one Who discovers how the virus is spreading. This show really is brilliant

Wait: how did Kirk's shirt get ripped this time?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:37:27 PM by anais.cristal »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »

I find it odd that there is no sex in this episode despite being called the naked time. You would think the 60s would be more liberal. Glad to see Scotty back in red. Now if I understand correctly: blue uniforms equal medical,'red uniforms equal you die first, and gold uniforms equal high ranking officers? Still don't know what beige uniforms mean.

The uniform colors, by memory - Red is the Tactical/Engineering division, Blue is the science division and Yellow is command. Beige means you're either watching the second pilot or Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Or Klingons. Their outfits were beige too.

Yellow and red get switched around in the TNG/DS9/Voyager eras because Gene got tired of the red-shirt references in the years between TOS and Next Gen.

Oh, and everyone wore red in the movies after the Pastel nightmare of the first film.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2011, 03:57:05 AM »
I found this book to be really good.  http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Star-Trek-Real-Story/dp/0671896288/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310899995&sr=1-1

It's written by two of the producers and it is a very honest.  By honest I mean it doesn't suck up to Roddenberry or any of the actors they way a lot of behind the scenes Star Trek stuff does.  It is also a very entertaining read.  It's a pretty good book.

anais.jude

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »
Fascinting Captain

Hmm naked Pysche. That will play into Picard's issues in the TNG episode if I remember correctly. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »
If you're interested in this kind of thing you might also want to check out the book "The Nit-Picker's Guide For Classic Trekkers" by Phil Farrand if you can find a copy.  (It's pretty rare these days.)  It's mainly a guide to all the various errors in the classic episodes of Trek.  And by errors, I mean mostly plotholes, leaps in logic, continuity errors, etc., leaving out the obvious things like fake looking sets or aliens, etc.  There's also little essays on things like recurring themes in the Original Series, quizzes, and other things like that.  Again, if you're interested and you can find it, it's worth a read.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 544
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »
If you're interested in this kind of thing you might also want to check out the book "The Nit-Picker's Guide For Classic Trekkers" by Phil Farrand if you can find a copy.  (It's pretty rare these days.)  It's mainly a guide to all the various errors in the classic episodes of Trek.  And by errors, I mean mostly plotholes, leaps in logic, continuity errors, etc., leaving out the obvious things like fake looking sets or aliens, etc.  There's also little essays on things like recurring themes in the Original Series, quizzes, and other things like that.  Again, if you're interested and you can find it, it's worth a read.

Just want to chime in & highly recommend this whole series. They are a ton of fun. I have a signed copy of the DS9 one, which I need to replace so I can have a reading copy.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3082
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »
The beige uniforms were only in the early pilots; there was a gold for command and beige was for operations/security (which became red later).  Apparently those uniforms were partially designed by Nasa, but they wanted the colors to be brighter to take advantage of the new color tvs that people were getting.

The colors are what hit me every time watching on Blu-Ray, along with the bright colors that were obvious on VHS and DVD, there are splashes of faint color all over the place that show up on the Blu-Ray discs (faint pastels under tables and on walls).  Watching on my grandparents color TV in the early 70's when Star Trek was in reruns and I don't remember any of those colors (I had seen every episode at least 5 times by the mid 70's), I doubt even the most expensive color TVs in the 60's could show all those colors, so the remastered Blu-Rays really are like seeing it the way only the people filming it had ever seen it before.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Oddessey
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 12:53:31 AM »
I've finished season two(2).  I'm winning.

Your mother

She was overwhelming me with texts the other night, describing each and every episode of TOS that she liked, and each one that she hated....

This is like Opposite-World or something.  My head would explode if my mom did this.

My mom, who never expressed an interest in Star Trek when I watched it, refused to see Wrath of Khan because she heard
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2011, 12:55:26 AM »
I found this book to be really good.  http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Star-Trek-Real-Story/dp/0671896288/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310899995&sr=1-1

It's written by two of the producers and it is a very honest.  By honest I mean it doesn't suck up to Roddenberry or any of the actors they way a lot of behind the scenes Star Trek stuff does.  It is also a very entertaining read.  It's a pretty good book.

Seconded.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Russell

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
Roddenberry may have had a vision,  but there were more than a few times where the man was kind of,
sort of a real pompous dick. One of my favorite stories was when Harold Livingston told Gene that "he
wouldn't know a good story if it was tattooed on his prick
". I love that story, cracks me up every damn time
i hear it. What Paramount did with Gene is what 20th Century fox should have done with George Lucas
after TPM.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:27:06 AM by Gunflyer »

Russell

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »
So who's the bigger loser here?
I guess that depends upon your point of view Imrahil. Monetarily speaking, both
Roddenberry and Lucas were winners. But artistically speaking, both of them have
been losers after the spark of their initial brilliance.

Russell

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
My point is that Lucas set out to be an independent filmmaker and to tell stories he wanted to tell, without studio interference and using his own money. Everything else he's done has been some aspect of that goal, and he's accomplished it.
Perhaps, but most people would argue that his stories have been anything but, and that
anything that might resemble his legacy is in ruins.