login

Author Topic: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Odyssey  (Read 103402 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Oddessey
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
The Man Trap

I guess whoever had sulu's original job died because sulu moved from botanist to person on the bridge. Lol
Oh My..

Yes, I found that amusing as well... It was probably a smart decision on their part to move him from botanist.  I couldn't see many episodes centering around the botany department.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »
I wonder if George Takei specifically requested that change.  Takei was fairly bitter about Asians getting stereotypical roles in American TV and Film productions during that period, and... I don't know, maybe botanist seemed like a stereotypical Asian role to him.  Moreso than helmsman.  I dunno.  I could be completely wrong.  Just a thought.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

anais.jude

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 09:47:58 PM »
He probably said: Uhura's on the bridge and she gets to flirt with Spock. I want to be on the bridge.

When does Chekov come in? And Scotty?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
He probably said: Uhura's on the bridge and she gets to flirt with Spock. I want to be on the bridge.

When does Chekov come in? And Scotty?

Koenig came in physically during the second season, but according to canon, he was on the Enterprise during the first season, just not where the camera was. Scotty was in "Where No Man Had Gone Before" so he's already shown up.

...except you watched The Man Trap second. Yeah, there was a second pilot called "Where No Man Had Gone Before" which was technically the second episode and used the "real" cast rather than Pike's crew. It was the third episode aired on NBC, so in two episodes.

He'll be much thinner. You may not recognize him.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:01:13 PM by Compound »

anais.jude

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:33 PM »
Mam being a star trek fan takes skill. All this canon/non-canon stuff is hard to follow

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »
Sorry. Let me back up a step.

In real life - Chekov arrives in season 2. Roddenberry created a Russian character after the Soviets griped about the lack of  Russians  in the future in an editorial in Pravda.

In Star Trek canon-  even though his character didn't appear in season 1, Chekov is allegedly on the ship at the time. He's just in that other part of the ship that the camera didn't show or standing just outside of camera range. 

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 12:23:51 AM »
I remember reading the theory that Chekov was working in Sick Bay before he became a helmsman. This was the explanation for how Khan remembered him in Star Trek 2. (the episode that introduced Khan, "Space Seed", aired before Chekov shows up on camera) and it also explains him recruiting people as nurses at the begining of Star Trek Generations, since it showed medical experience.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

anais.jude

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 08:06:57 AM »
Charlie X

Do Uhura and Spock have a thing? Two episodes of flirting in a row

Captain Kirk has quite the package and Yeoman Rand is pretty cold at the end there.

Another episode strongly focused on emotions and controlling them (if that is even a possibility). Having a teenager be the representation of how bad emotions can become was pretty brilliant. It actually reminds me of Twilight in some ways (teenagers, emotions, and metaphors for life. I am not going to explain it now). I like the end struggle between Kirk and Charlie, especially when Charlie sits in his chair. Kirk is a very strong and diplomatic captain. At this point I do like him more than Picard (note: number of TNG episodes seen = 3)

So I guess the next episode is Where No Man Has Gone Before. Bring on the Scotty!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:48:29 AM by anais.cristal »

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
Actually quite a few women have had a thing for Spock, but the character with the biggest unrequited crush on him is Nurse Chapel.  I'm not sure when she appears, but she's one of Majel Barrett's many roles on Star Trek.

I think another reason they brought on Chekhov was because George Takei went off to make a movie during season two and so he wasn't available for a few episodes, so they needed a character to fill the vacancy.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »
Charlie X

Do Uhura and Spock have a thing? Two episodes of flirting in a row

Captain Kirk has quite the package and Yeoman Rand is pretty cold at the end there.

Another episode strongly focused on emotions and controlling them (if that is even a possibility). Having a teenager be the representation of how bad emotions can become was pretty brilliant. It actually reminds me of Twilight in some ways (teenagers, emotions, and metaphors for life. I am not going to explain it now). I like the end struggle between Kirk and Charlie, especially when Charlie sits in his chair. Kirk is a very strong and diplomatic captain. At this point I do like him more than Picard (note: number of TNG episodes seen = 3)

So I guess the next episode is Where No Man Has Gone Before. Bring on the Scotty!

There was obvious flirting and sexual tension in the earliest episodes between Spock and Uhura.... it kind of faded away (but gave cause for it being in the new movie).  Later, it's kind of obvious that Nurse Chapel has a thing for Spock.....

I've definitely grown to appreciate Kirk even more than I did before.... Despite how basically EVERYONE knows who Kirk is, I have started to think that he's highly under-appreciated as a character.  The amount of subtle dry jokes he makes is enormous....  In one episode (not a spoiler, don't worry), someone cuts him off and Kirk just turns and glares at him silently for a few seconds before the story continues!!
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2615
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »
Actually quite a few women have had a thing for Spock, but the character with the biggest unrequited crush on him is Nurse Chapel.  I'm not sure when she appears, but she's one of Majel Barrett's many roles on Star Trek.

I remember her from episode 4 "The Naked Time" so her feelings for Spock show up pretty early.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »

I think another reason they brought on Chekhov was because George Takei went off to make a movie during season two and so he wasn't available for a few episodes, so they needed a character to fill the vacancy.

Yeah The Green Berets ran into weather trouble and took a long time to film so they need a new character to give all of Sulu's lines.

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
I wonder if George Takei specifically requested that change.  Takei was fairly bitter about Asians getting stereotypical roles in American TV and Film productions during that period, and... I don't know, maybe botanist seemed like a stereotypical Asian role to him.  Moreso than helmsman.  I dunno.  I could be completely wrong.  Just a thought.

He was probably trying to end the stereotype that Asians are terrible drivers.
\()/ 3~ \()/

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
Charlie X is the source of the line "there's no right way to hit a woman" which Shatner got to reference again in Futurama. Not sure why, but that always cracks me up.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

anais.jude

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »
Where No Man Has Gone Before

WTF? All the outfits are different. No Uhura, Sulu is there but not on the bridge. Scotty is not wearing red, although he has a lovely Beatles haircut.
 And what is this beige colour for?

Ok, beside that. I fucking LOVE all the chess.

Is Bones on vacation? I didn't approve that. Bullshit

Why is the blonde doctor defending shiny eye guy so much. It reminds of the relationship between bald chick with the legs and dad from 7th heaven

Ok, so despite those early observations this episode is fan-fucking-tactic! I loved all the discussions of God, and how absolute power without compassion is very dangerous.

So, there was something I did notice. When Mitchell began changing it reminded me of the struggle Kirk would has if his good friend started using drugs. The desire to think it isn't affecting them and that they are the same person. All the while knowing that the drugs are taking over. It was a very interesting dichotomy and a very dramatic turn for the captain.

I am so in love with this show
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:30:20 PM by anais.cristal »