login

Author Topic: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Odyssey  (Read 104024 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Odyssey
« Reply #1245 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »
I kinda wish they'd redo some of the special effects from TNG for blu ray.  TNG's effects, for the most part, weren't as bad as the original series, but some of the sets were just as obviously fake.  Though a lot of the effects shots were fairly unimaginative, and occasionally awkward-looking.  Right up until season 4.  For some reason, season 4 had a lot of really impressive effects shots.  Some of which could almost rank with Empire Strikes Back.  I guess ILM must have been between film projects or something.

Actually, that's been the hold-up. All of TNG's effects were done in 480 video, and have to be completely re-done for Blu-Ray.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1246 on: February 02, 2012, 08:02:37 PM »

Here's the latest preview:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w08BlIyXzrE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w08BlIyXzrE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

shodan

« Reply #1247 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »

Here's the latest preview:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w08BlIyXzrE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w08BlIyXzrE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
FUCK YES!!!!!

Russell

« Reply #1248 on: February 02, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »
FUCK YES!!!!!
Too bad the first season sucked balls. Okay, to be fair there were actually a few... ahem... mediocre episodes... but those were few and far between thanks to episodes like The Naked Now, Justice, Haven, Code of honor, Where no one has gone before, the big goodbye, Datalore, Angel one, When the bough breaks, The last outpost, Symbiosis, and so on, and so on, and so on. You know your season is bad when the best episode out of them all is Encounter at farpoint.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1249 on: February 02, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
I'm really looking forward to re-watching the series on Blu. Aside from a few scattered reruns, I haven't seen it since it was on the air.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1250 on: February 02, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
It's nice that they kept all the separate film elements, wish those were still around for the original series.  Would have been nice to see HD shots of those models, especially that one that was almost 20 feet long, must have been some great details there that we never got to see.  Someday I'll watch the Blu-Rays again keeping the original effects on, there's got to be a few shots that had less layers and don't suffer from too much grain and loss of detail...

I think I'll pass on season 1, only a couple of those episodes I'd like to have.  Maybe season 2 if the price isn't too high.

I am hoping these end up on netflix, or at least in 720p on iTunes, I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks each for the ones I want.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #1251 on: February 03, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »
It's nice that they kept all the separate film elements, wish those were still around for the original series.  Would have been nice to see HD shots of those models, especially that one that was almost 20 feet long, must have been some great details there that we never got to see.  Someday I'll watch the Blu-Rays again keeping the original effects on, there's got to be a few shots that had less layers and don't suffer from too much grain and loss of detail...

I think I'll pass on season 1, only a couple of those episodes I'd like to have.  Maybe season 2 if the price isn't too high.

I am hoping these end up on netflix, or at least in 720p on iTunes, I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks each for the ones I want.

What model was almost 20 feet long?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #1252 on: February 03, 2012, 03:22:15 AM »

I think they had one of the Enterprise that was that long but I don't think it was used in season 1.  I will be waiting for season one to come down to $50 but I plan on getting all seven seasons at some point,I think they all have enough good episodes to warrant a purchase.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1253 on: February 03, 2012, 07:10:06 AM »
Is this the entire first season on Blu Ray here??
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Level-Blu-ray/dp/B0064NLQYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328281577&sr=8-1

Edit: Looks like only a few episodes only :(

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1254 on: February 03, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1255 on: February 03, 2012, 07:27:11 AM »
Is this the entire first season on Blu Ray here??
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Level-Blu-ray/dp/B0064NLQYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328281577&sr=8-1

Edit: Looks like only a few episodes only :(

Yes, it's a sampler. They're not done with the first season yet.  Probably this summer. They're apparently hoping to do 2 seasons/year.

See:
http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/31/trailer-for-star-trek-tng-season-1-blu-ray-seasons-2-7-release-timeline/
Oh ok, Cool! :o
I really only care about getting the entire TNG series on Blue Ray..
I May consider the others over time if they come out but if I actually buy a complete series on Blu Ray, The Next Generation is it! 8)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:45:34 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1256 on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:19 AM »
It's nice that they kept all the separate film elements, wish those were still around for the original series.  Would have been nice to see HD shots of those models, especially that one that was almost 20 feet long, must have been some great details there that we never got to see.  Someday I'll watch the Blu-Rays again keeping the original effects on, there's got to be a few shots that had less layers and don't suffer from too much grain and loss of detail...

I think I'll pass on season 1, only a couple of those episodes I'd like to have.  Maybe season 2 if the price isn't too high.

None. There was a 6-foot Enterprise used in the first 3 seasons, and then a smaller 4-foot model was made for season 3.  I gather the bits of the show that have been CGI-ed use the 6-foot model.

The original Enterprise from the classic series was an 11-foot model, I think.

People who are in the know (and who seem like they know what they're talking about) apparently can tell the difference at a glance between the model and the CG based on which windows are lit up. (!)
I was talking about the original series, there was no CG in the 60s...

One of the books I have mentions a 17 foot model of the enterprise.  And 2 smaller ones.  I've seen pictures of people standing under it and it seems bigger than 11 feet so 17 might be right.   For some scenes in the doomsday  machine episode they used an off the shelf plastic model that they torched.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1257 on: February 03, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »
There was CG in the remastered TOS episodes which just came out on blu-ray. Since we were taking about TNG on blu-ray, I thought you were referring to that.

They don't have the separate film elements from TOS, like they do for TNG, so there are no original model shots in the remastered TOS episodes.   All the TOS remastered episodes have 100% CG effects, the original effects shots on Blu-Ray look pretty bad because of the optical printer used to layer the elements.  Looks like for TNG they are able to scan the individual elements in HD and recomposite them, so they will only be replacing the old 480i CG effects with new HD CG.

Looking around the web maybe 11 feet is the correct size for the TOS enterprise.  Anyone been to the Smithsonian Air And Space museum?  It's hanging up there.  Some recent pictures show that it needs a new paint job, the seams are starting to show.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1258 on: February 03, 2012, 08:54:30 AM »
Just read Avery Brooks was arrested for DUI in Connecticut.

My first thought was, how could they tell?  He's not really all that coherent when sober....

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1259 on: February 03, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »
Ug, that looks even worse than the picture I found of it when it was hanging up...   Wonder if it's still powered so they can turn the lights on?