Author Topic: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Odyssey  (Read 104003 times)

anais.jude

Anais.Jude's Star Trek Odyssey
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:58:22 PM »
So as my lovely boyfriend pointed out, I am a n00b because I have never watched Star trek. I have watched maybe five episodes of TOS and TNG combined.

So, seeing as how they are on Netflix: may you now experience Star Trek through a n00b's eyes.

PS: No spoilers please

Episode 1: Space Pilot 3000, I mean The Cage

Wow, is this an awesome show. So, my initial thought was "Where the Fuck is Kirk. Oh this is Captain Pike? Ok I will see him in a wheelchair by the end of the episode, and yet....no

The philos
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:35:35 PM by anais.cristal »

anais.jude

Re: Anais.Jude's Star Trek Oddessey
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
Stupid iphone.

Anyway, the philosophy on this show was fantastic. I love the idea that the alien creatures wanted to observe Pike, but also build a race of slaves. I wonder if the aliens watched the woman and then decided Humans make good slaves.

I think the idea that mental Power can become a kind of drug is very interesting as well. The alien race stopped livin basically because they became addicted to their own minds. It's an idea I would have never thought of on my own.

Also: green chicks

Verdict: I like it lots.'I figured I would, but I can def say I wish I was watching the second episode...will Kirk be in it? Also, I don't like this fake Bones. He is my face character and I want him back ASAP!

Stay tuned for more Star Trek!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Do they have The Cage listed as episode 1 on Netflix?  Since I have them all on disc I haven't looked at them on Netflix (been watching lots of TNG and Voyager)  On all the disc releases it's been at the end because it was never aired and is not really the pilot for the show that aired, it got rejected and then they redid the cast and some props for a second pilot.

"WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE"  is the real pilot, but they aired it 3rd.  Kinda stupid since they retooled things a bit more after it, so if you watch the show by air date you get 2 normal looking ones and then this odd one that looks different with a slightly different cast, then from 4 on it's back to what it looked like for the first 2.

These were so expensive to make they didn't want to waste anything, so The Cage was chopped up and reused in the episode you remember with Pike in the wheelchair.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:02:12 AM »
Do they have The Cage listed as episode 1 on Netflix?  Since I have them all on disc I haven't looked at them on Netflix (been watching lots of TNG and Voyager)  On all the disc releases it's been at the end because it was never aired and is not really the pilot for the show that aired, it got rejected and then they redid the cast and some props for a second pilot.

Yes, it's the first episode on netflix, and is not the extended or the remastered version (those remain disk only on season 3). 

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
You realize what the episode is really about, don't you?  It's a satire on people becoming addicted to television. 
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:11:17 AM »
I, myself, just began season 2 of TOS last night.  I'm also working my way through them all. Fun ain't it?!

(hint: sitting through Menagerie may seem redundant, but do it anyways.)
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

anais.jude

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
I wouldn't classify that as a satire. An analogy is what I would call that. Also, there is much more complexity to that episode than just people getting addicted to TV. One of the many reasons Gene Roddenberry is brilliant. Wasn't the green chick his wife

anais.jude

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
The menagerie sounds familiar, I think I might have watched some of that before. If I did I didn't comprehend it

Beefer, is this your first time watching them too?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:30:10 AM »
I wouldn't classify that as a satire. An analogy is what I would call that. Also, there is much more complexity to that episode than just people getting addicted to TV. One of the many reasons Gene Roddenberry is brilliant. Wasn't the green chick his wife

I think his wife put on the green makeup for a test at one point, but not in that episode. Her big role in that pilot was as Pike's "Number One". Never got a name, but she was the first officer.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »
The menagerie sounds familiar, I think I might have watched some of that before. If I did I didn't comprehend it

Beefer, is this your first time watching them too?

As far as TOS goes, I've seen every episode, just never in order.  As for TNG (which is next) I watched that religiously every week it aired.... but I haven't seen them since.  I watched a few episodes of DS9, and only a couple of Voyager, and I have never see Enterprise.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »
Well, one of Star Trek's original intentions was to use science fiction as satire, so they could address controversial subjects without getting in trouble.  Sometimes it was subtle as in the Cage.  Sometimes it was not quite as subtle as in the episode with Frank Gorshin.  Or the Next Generation episode where the Cardassians force the space indians to get off their planet.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 12:10:37 PM »
Still not sure satire is the right word for it, but they did tackle issues like race, gender, overpopulation, and war at a time when those issues were not talked about on prime time TV.  Make aliens do stuff that mirror current events and you can get away with a lot of social commentary that you normally couldn't.

No way they could have gotten a show on air in the 60's with a planet of white people and black people at war, but make them aliens, paint them half white and half black, and you can get away with it.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
I would use the word "analogy" more than "satire"

anais.jude

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
The Man Trap

Interesting choice to make the first episode with Kirk a Bones centric episode. I guess I am not that much of a noob because I have seen all the movies. Anyway, Bones is the representation of emotion so thats why he's my fave character and I was happy to see him so much in this episode. I am also happy to see that they made sure to take time to focus on Spock's logic.

As for the episode itself: I love that they related the salt sucker to the Buffalo. Survival of the fittest.

I guess whoever had sulu's original job died because sulu moved from botanist to person on the bridge. Lol

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »
The Man Trap

I guess whoever had sulu's original job died because sulu moved from botanist to person on the bridge. Lol
Oh My..