login

Author Topic: The Rest of the Best  (Read 47337 times)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Celebrity Crushes)
« Reply #450 on: August 24, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »
There is no such thing as a Gamer Girl who you couldn't potentially go to bed with. This is the beauty of the whole Gamer Girl concept.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5135
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best (Today's Topic: Favourite 80's Video Games)
« Reply #451 on: August 24, 2011, 04:43:23 AM »
Last day ya'll!  The last list is 80's and before) video games.  Here's the original list:

#50: Bad Dudes Vs DragonNinja
#49: 1942
#48: DuckTales
#47: Shinobi
#46: ExciteBike
#45: Arkanoid
#44: Bomber Man
#43: Mega Man
#42: Ghostbusters
#41: Joust
#40: Spy Hunter
#39: Psychic 5
#38: Maniac Mansion
#37: Defender
#36: Ninja Gaiden
#35: Dragon Liar
#34: Q*Bert
#33: SimCity
#32: Pitfall
#31: Pole Position
#30: Paperboy
#29: Pong
#28: Bubble Bobble
#27: Frogger
#26: Tron
#25: Centipede
#24: Asteroids
#23: Oregon Trail
#22: Duck Hunt
#21: Ms. Pac-Man
#20: Dig Dug
#19: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
#18: Missile Command
#17: Star Wars (arcade)
#16: Galaga
#15:  Gauntlet
#14: Mega Man 2
#13:  Rampage
#12: Contra
#11: Castlevania
#10: Super Mario Bros. 2
#9: Space Invaders
#8: Donkey Kong
#7: Pac-Man
#6: The Legend of Zelda
#5: Mike Tyson’s Punch Out
#4: Metroid
#3: Super Mario Bros. 3
#2: Tetris
#1: Super Mario Bros.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #452 on: August 24, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
That's gross. Does she know where that's been?

She is intimately aware of where it has been.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »
L.O.C. #50 - Top Video Games of the Eighties (and Before)

Thoughts
I'm still a bit baffled as to why this didn't make the original list. It seems like this was one of the seminal games for the RPG genre. I played this for countless hours on NES. We'd just meld with the couch, smoke pot, and lose entire days and nights. This and Zelda were the only RPGs I ever really got immersed in. Cool game.

The Wiki
Final Fantasy is a fantasy role-playing video game created by Hironobu Sakaguchi, developed and first published in Japan by Square (now Square Enix) in 1987. It is the first game in Square's Final Fantasy series. Originally released for the Nintendo Entertainment System, Final Fantasy was remade for several video game consoles and is frequently packaged with Final Fantasy II in video game collections. The story follows four youths called the Light Warriors, who each carry one of their world's four elemental orbs which have been darkened by the four Elemental Fiends. Together, they quest to defeat these evil forces, restore light to the orbs, and save their world.

The game received generally positive reviews, and it is regarded as one of the most influential and successful role-playing games on the Nintendo Entertainment System, playing a major role in popularizing the genre. Praise focused on the game's graphics, while criticism targeted the time spent wandering in search of random battle encounters to raise the player's experience level. All versions of Final Fantasy sold a combined total of two million copies worldwide by March 2003.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tx0c7jXbA_E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Tx0c7jXbA_E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »

LoC Rest of the Best - Day 50 – Favourite Video Games from the 80’s (or before)

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an interactive fiction computer game based on the comedic science fiction series of the same name. It was designed by series creator Douglas Adams and Infocom's Steve Meretzky, and was first released in 1984 for the Apple II,Macintosh, Commodore 64, DOS, Amiga, Atari 8-bit and Atari ST. It is Infocom's fourteenth game.

The game loosely mirrors a portion of the series' plot, beginning with the impending destruction of Arthur Dent's house and subsequent demolition of the Earth by Vogons.

After being rescued from open space by the Heart of Gold and figuring out how to activate the Infinite Improbability Drive, the player is hurled through space and time, assuming the roles of Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox and Trillian at various intervals. (The question of the player character's identity at any time can be answered by the WHO AM I command.) For the majority of the game, Arthur Dent is the main player character.

An in-game virtual edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy provides a variety of major and minor characters, locations, and miscellany from the series that can be referenced, if not directly encountered. Topics ranging from Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters toGalaxia Woonbeam can be looked up with the command CONSULT GUIDE ABOUT <topic>.

The ultimate goal of the game is mentioned by Zaphod in an offhand manner: finding the legendary lost planet of Magrathea. While the other characters relax in the ship's sauna, however, Arthur has to jump through a number of hoops to collect a bizarre array of tools and four types of fluff before the Heart of Gold gets anywhere near the planet. The problem of managing this burgeoning inventory is neatly handled by a humorously ill-defined object called "That thing your aunt gave you which you don't know what it is", which has two important attributes: a nearly limitless capacity for holding other objects, and a penchant for showing up in the player's inventory after seemingly being lost.

When the characters finally set foot on Magrathea, the game ends with the never-fulfilled promise of a thrilling sequel.

Most Infocom games contained "feelies", bonus novelty items included to enhance the immersiveness of the game. The feelies provided with this game included:
   A pin-on button with "Don't Panic!" printed in large, friendly letters
   A small plastic packet containing "pocket fluff" (a cottonball)
   Order for destruction of Arthur Dent's house
   Order for destruction of Earth written in "Vogon" (actually an English cryptogram written in a thinly-disguised Cyrillic alphabet. The text was nearly identical to that of the English Order for Destruction, so it was not hard to solve.)
   Official Microscopic Space Fleet (an empty plastic bag)
   "Peril Sensitive Sunglasses" (a pair of opaque black cardboard "sunglasses")
   How Many Times Has This Happened to You?, an advertising brochure for the fictional guidebook/encyclopedia The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
   No tea
HHGTTG gained a reputation for deviousness. Perhaps the most notorious of these involved getting a Babel Fish out of a dispenser in the hold of the Vogon ship. This extremely tricky puzzle appeared very early in the game, required the player to use a variety of obscure items in a very specific fashion, and had to be "solved" within a limited number of turns. Failure to "solve" the Babel Fish puzzle did not kill the player, but rendered the remainder of the game unwinnable. That particular puzzle became so notorious for its difficulty that Infocom wound up selling T-shirts bearing the legend, "I got the Babel Fish!"

Another fiendish puzzle involved the ten tools scattered throughout the game's locations. One of the final puzzles involved Marvin asking for a particular tool to use in unjamming the ship's hatch. If the player had failed to collect ten, Marvin would invariably ask for one of the missing ones. Likewise, while the opening section of the game closely resembles the opening scenes of the original radio play and book, there are several actions not in the radio play or book that the player must perform in order to make the game winnable. Other puzzles are based so closely on the book or radio play as to be solvable only by those who are intimately familiar with Adams' work. In spite of all of this, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was rated as "Standard" difficulty by Infocom's rating system, though it was advertised to be at expert difficulty.

Curiously, the player is seldom given an actual purpose, apart from the implicit goal stated by the inventory item of "no tea". Much of the game is spent simply reacting to situations, such as the impending deaths variously threatened by bulldozers, matter-transference hangovers, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, or nuclear missiles. This lack of direction had little effect in deterring fans of Adams' work.

Like many Infocom games, an InvisiClues booklet was available for this game, as a separate product.

The Infocom version of Hitchhiker's Guide quickly became a fan classic; it was one of five top-selling Infocom games to be produced in Solid Gold versions, with a built-in hint system not included in the originals. The game was re-released by Activision in several collection packages before rights reverted to Adams, enabling The Digital Village to re-release it as a web-based Java applet. Originally published as a fund-raising tool on the 1997 Comic Relief website, it took up permanent residence on Adams' own website the following year.

On September 21, 2004 the BBC launched the 20th Anniversary Edition to coincide with the initial radio broadcast of the Tertiary Phase. Sporting a Flash user interface, and illustrated by Rod Lord (who also produced the guide animations for the Hitchhiker's TV series), it won the Interactive BAFTA Award for Best Online Entertainment.

Once BAFTA judging had completed, the BBC re-launched the game in two distinct versions to showcase new artwork for scenes and objects deliberately omitted from the first release. While both editions retain Rod Lord's illustrations, all placeholder graphics were replaced by artwork designed and sent in by contest participants. One edition includes the artwork of overall winner Nolan Worthington, the other features the work of runners-up.

The original text-only version appeared in the Game On computer games exhibition, which has toured museums worldwide since 2002, representing the text-based genre of computer games.

The game has 35 locations (or "rooms"). By some accounting, it only has 31 rooms, but 35 also counts the rooms that the player has to visit in the maze.

Personal thoughts:

The game is hard as all get out in many ways (even the very first moment.  Really, all I needed to do was open my eyes?) but had all the fun of the series.  Definitely worth checking out.  Just make sure you get that Babel Fish.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Re: The Rest of the Best
« Reply #455 on: August 25, 2011, 05:24:42 AM »
Well, the show's over but the memories live on.  In fact, from this point on the thread is open to new entries relating to the previous lists.  I got a few that I realized I missed before.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #456 on: August 25, 2011, 05:51:13 AM »
Yep, rewatching The IT Crowd, it occured to me that I should have included:

LoC Rest of the Best – Celebrity Crushes

Katherine Parkinson

Wiki: Laura Katherine Parkinson (born 9 March 1978) is an English actress and comedian who is known for playing the part of Jen Barber in the Channel 4 comedy series The IT Crowd. She has contributed sketches for Katy Brand, her friend since studying at Oxford.

Katherine Parkinson studied at Tiffin Girls' School in Kingston upon Thames, London and then read Classics at St Hilda's College, Oxford before moving to the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art where she met Chris O'Dowd, fellow The IT Crowd lead, for the first time.

During her studies she left the course to star in the play The Age of Consent. Her subsequent career has seen her star alongside British actors such as Martin Clunes and Julie Walters. In 2007, she appeared in a new translation of Chekhov's The Seagull at the Royal Court Theatre in London, alongside Kristin Scott Thomas and Mackenzie Crook. In 2010-11 she appeared in Season's Greetings at the Royal National Theatre and in 2011 as Lady Teazle in The School for Scandal* (directed by Deborah Warner) at the Barbican Centre.

On New Year's Day 2009 she appeared in a feature-length episode of Jonathan Creek, called The Grinning Man, which was broadcast in the UK. At the end of 2009 she appeared in the acclaimed Cock at the Royal Court Theatre.

In 2008 Katherine played Danika Meanwhile in the Doctor Who audio The Death Collector alongside Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.
Having played the doctor's receptionist, and later phlebotomist, in Series 2-4 of Doc Martin opposite Martin Clunes, a March 2011 press release from ITV about Series 5 indicated that there would be a new receptionist at the doctor's surgery, confirming that Katherine Parkinson had left the programme.

In 2009, for the third series of The IT Crowd Parkinson became one of the highest paid actresses on Channel 4.

Thoughts: * Which is a fantastic play and I'd have loved to have seen her in it.

What a difference wardrobe makes. She's an integral part of Doc Martin but the clothes they make her wear are horrendous, as Jen however she generally looks pretty damn sexy, and she's funny which I always like in a girl.

Ann actually has a bit of a, well a fairly subtantial, crush on her (mostly from Doc Martin though) so I suppose that opens up the potential for a nice little couples activity we could do. ;)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #457 on: August 25, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
Well, the show's over but the memories live on.  In fact, from this point on the thread is open to new entries relating to the previous lists.  I got a few that I realized I missed before.

Oh man, I just realized I'm really gonna miss this. It's become routine!

Anyway, thanks for the great idea and for facilitating the proceedings, Johnny. That was a lot of fun.

:clap:

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

• Compsognathus
« Reply #458 on: August 25, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »

Oh man, I just realized I'm really gonna miss this. It's become routine!

Anyway, thanks for the great idea and for facilitating the proceedings, Johnny. That was a lot of fun.

:clap:

It was good why dont you just start over from the beggining? and add all the ones we posts here so that we post all new ones again. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #459 on: August 25, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
I'd not have a prob with that happening, BUT,

a) Perhaps consolidate the Rifftrax Wishlists into a single entry
b) Maybe the second time through do the supplemental for the lists, maybe (you know least favourite that sort of thing).

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #460 on: August 25, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »
I don't think I have it in me to do another 50 days, but I might post from time to time on other on other things that were missed.  That said, I think it's ready to be unstickied now.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #461 on: August 25, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
Fair enough, but should you you feel like doing it again it can get restickied then.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #462 on: August 25, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
thats what she said

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #463 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »

LoC Rest of the Best - People We Want to See Do a List of Crap

Michael Swaim and Dan O'Brien

From the Cracked member pages:

MichaelSwaim

Personal tag line: I AM creative enough to have written a personal tag line, but choose not to for religious reasons.
Message board posts: 145
About MichaelSwaim
I write here sometimes. Also make videos. I also do that one (the videos one) at my own site, Those Aren't Muskets! (www.thosearentmuskets.com). I also do a lot of other stuff, but it's not as directly applicable to the Internet, and I feel like that's what you're probably most interested in. I often shave.

daniel.

Personal tag line: There's really no place in America for a celebrity of the First Rank.
Message board posts: 2,731
About daniel.
I am the Senior Writer of Cracked.com. Follow the shit out of me on twitter:
http://twitter.com/DOB_INC
Or make me uncomfortable on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=8832406

Stay Tuned for These Things:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i5aa07fe16321f439a8de487fee86f3e6

I also hate pregnant women.

Read more: daniel. | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/members/daniel.#ixzz1W6Hrh37n
 Personal thoughts:

I admit I didn't follow Swaim's Those Aren't Musket's stuff but he and Dan O'Brien are possibly the only video personalities on Cracked I get excited about (Gladstone's OK)

If you haven't seen their stuff, check it out:

Agents of Cracked
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2RjrEopknc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p2RjrEopknc</a>

After Hours
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EwmVAFRpT6w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EwmVAFRpT6w</a>

And my favourite video series Does Not Compute
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/W_QMQV06138" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/W_QMQV06138</a>

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #464 on: August 26, 2011, 07:57:48 AM »
LoC Rest of the Best – Celebrity Crushes

The guy I most expected the girls to vote in:

Jason Bateman

The girl I most regret forgetting:

Anna Friel